PDA

View Full Version : Imports

majimbo
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey guys, has anyone ever sourced parts/accessories from the UK? If so, did u get it here without paying taxes? I have a friend there whose sending me some bits as a gift and was just wondering whether there would be any tax involved on my end? Also, we were just wondering how did u have it sent over, through the usual postal service and to aus post here or was it through a courier service like fedex or ups? Thanx people :)

melissa
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I have had 2nd hand parts sent over just by regular mail but they were not huge items. I needed a replacement lock for one of my T3's - the drivers side sliding door - a new one was available through VW for about $800 :eek: but a good second hand one with postage cost me about $90 - I would never have found a second hand one here.
Sorry, should have said, no taxes or anything was needed to be paid.

velly_16v_cab
01-07-2008, 10:32 PM
i am sending stuff over in october when i go back to the uk.
just going to suck it and see lol

gregozedobe
02-07-2008, 12:58 AM
I've been told that you won't get charged GST coming into Australia if the value is less than $AU 500.00 But if you appear to be a commercial importer (ie lots of stuff that doesn't appear to be for your personal use) then GST is payable on the even low value articles.

I've purchased a few different items from the UK and have never paid GST (or any other kind of Australian duties excise etc). My stuff has all been sent by Royal Mail.

The_Hawk
02-07-2008, 08:07 AM
I was sure it was $1,000. I have had shipped in a number of packages but have always kept my total below $1,000... (one was $950) and have never been hit with extra charges.

The worst thing that happened to me was when I ordered an inflatable Simpsons Christmas decoration thing. You know those 10' things with the fan motor in the bottom. Anyway it got flagged for quaranteen. What sucks with that is they don't do *anything* until you respond and pay the "inspection fee" which was round $100 at the time. No refunds if they pass or fail the item and if you don't pay the fee they either send the item back to the sender or most likely destroy it. Total rubbish if you ask me. Especially when the package itself is only worth $100. (It's a flat fee BTW).

Reality is that things under $1,000 will come in with no dramas, no questions asked and things over will probably get hit with a fee (although some slip through for various reasons). Plan for it and you'll be right.

Bullifamilie
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I was told this morning by a customs agent the limit was $2000.

My goods arrived in Perth Last week and I was slapped with extra charges. I believe I paid for a door to door service but in order to get the goods I've got to stump up the extra cash.

My advice would be to get all postage/shipping quotes in writing so you are clear of what you are paying for.

All said I'm happy I bought my particualr bits from Europe and I would do the same again. If I had ordered them from Perth I would still have two months to wait.

majimbo
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey guys n girls, Thanx for the quick and informative responses, the things being sent arent even over the $300 mark so im well under. Was Royal Mail dear? how long did it take for the items to arrive here via regular mail? Was there a LARGE difference in cost for air mail? Thanx again for all the help ppl, laters :)

Seano
03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Majimbo.....small items like CDs arrive usually take only three days to get to me from the UK via regular mail. In terms of pricing I'd refer to http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm if I were you......

majimbo
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanx for that info, I've actually opted for a company called transglobal who i think is part of dhl or at least works with them. Royal Mail was considered but they recon that the parcel is too heavy, just 3kg, anyways, having it sent for around $50 pounds wich keeps me happy. Not sure of ETA, but will let you know how the service was for future reference, Thanx again for all the help :)

rob64981
04-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Majimbo,

The collection will be on Friday morning(4th July).

Lets see how quick it gets to your door!

They said within 3 days.....lets see if that includes weekends.

I will send shipping numbers to you.

Watch this space...

Rob

majimbo
04-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanx Rob, thats quick, yea will let u know if thats weekends as well. do you have the shiiping number to track it? I tried those other u sent n none of them worked. Doesn't matter tho. Let us know, i sent my other email to ur personal address. post it there as i won't be back on till the next week. Laters :)

majimbo
09-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Parts arrived safely and in 3 days, incl. weekend. Thanx again Rob, Laters