PDA

View Full Version : Golf Tdi Issues !!!

Russ59
29-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a new Golf TDI or maybe a TDI GT Sport and was wondering if there have been any mechanical problems with either of these models. I wouldn't expect too many on a new car especially a VW as I have always considered them to be very well built and engineered.

Thanks
Russ

Preen59
29-06-2008, 11:34 AM
As far as the engine goes i have had zero problems with my Caddy TDI, and it's a fantastic vehicle too. Faultless.

No, wait, there is one problem..

It's too high. But i'm fixing that. :)

The golf TDI's that i have been in were fantastic cars if you ask me. and the GT sport screams!

mr_walker
29-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I have this problem with my TDI in that I used to really enjoy going to service stations to fill up, and now I hardly ever have to go to one. :biggrin:

Russ59
29-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I am really amazed at the grunt these new common rail TD's have. I have test driven a Ford Focus TDCI and a Hyundai i30 (sorry for using unsuitable language on a VW site) The Focus really flies compared to the i30, but the overall finish of the Hyundai is far better. Can't wait for the VW test drive hopefully this week sometime I will be trying out a Manual TDI Pacific and if they have one in stock I won't be able to resist taking a GT Sport for a spin. Haven't been able to find anyone with anything bad to say about them so far.

Cheers
Russ

Russ59
29-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I have this problem with my TDI in that I used to really enjoy going to service stations to fill up, and now I hardly ever have to go to one. :biggrin:

If only all of life's problems were so dramatic .......:)

Preen59
29-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Haha, yeah i get a shock nearly every time i fill up cos fuel has gone up by so much since last time!

phaeton
29-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I am really amazed at the grunt these new common rail TD's have.

Cheers
Russ

VW does not use Common Rail TDI yet in the Golf range it uses a direct injection system called 'Pumpe Duse'.

The next Golf will have the new Common Rail TDI engines ;)

Russ59
29-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for that, I just did a quick search on the Pumpe Düse system as you said and it looks as though it works along the same lines as the common rail system, but with maybe the result of a slightly quieter engine. Either way from what I have read they seem to perform just as well and the TDI GT Sport has got me drooling for a test drive :driver:

STV4SYT
29-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for that, I just did a quick search on the Pumpe Düse system as you said and it looks as though it works along the same lines as the common rail system, but with maybe the result of a slightly quieter engine. Either way from what I have read they seem to perform just as well and the TDI GT Sport has got me drooling for a test drive :driver:

Yep, just make sure and try out the Manual and the DSG if u get a chance. Ive driven Manuals all my life, until now. While it still has some annoyances, and doesnt change exactly where i would, its pretty close 99% of the time. The GT has the paddle shift while the pacific doesnt.

Russ59
29-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Yep, just make sure and try out the Manual and the DSG if u get a chance. Ive driven Manuals all my life, until now. While it still has some annoyances, and doesnt change exactly where i would, its pretty close 99% of the time. The GT has the paddle shift while the pacific doesnt.
Hi,

Does the DSG have the usual automatic trait of kicking back into a very low gear when you plant it and seemingly sound like you're going to blow the head off it. I have a 2005 XR6 Falcon with the 4spd tiptronic at the moment and although when it kicks back it revs pretty high it doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder auto would (ie - ready to explode in a pile of bolts) that's the main thing I dislike about auto's.

Cheers
Russ

Greg Roles
29-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi Russ,

I'd have to add my 0.02c.

I chose the manual GT and that was stepping out of a 4 speed auto BA GT. Whilst you sure have to actually "drive" the manual diesel, I hate to tell you that there'd be nothing between your current XR6 and my weezy 2.0 diesel in a traffic light drag. Sure I have to drive the ringer out of it to match the current auto 6 packs, but I've found through repeated attempts that these things are "about" the same speed as the 6 cylinders in a drag, and make even the 8's and similar beasty cars look silly in the twisty, hilly stuff. About the only difference is the transition to FWD, wheel hops at the lights, and power on understeer, which is all to easy with a genuine 350nm at the wheels!

Having had Ford Auto's for the prior 7 years, it's been a breath of fresh air to get back into a manual. The downside for me is that I can't really just "cruise" elbow out the window style as I'm ALWAYS changing gears in traffic, but the upside is I get to choose what the car does in the hills and odd squirt in the twisties. THAT for me is the winner. I'm sure DSG is 99% as good as previuosly mentioned.

I've not lived with a DSG though, so perhaps once a few of the DSG oilers chip in, you'll get a good idea of the real story. Also, sadly, Jaymz on here is looking to sell his as new tricked up GT, so in your shoes I'd be checking out that option in the "For Sale" section. I've driven it, and it just rocks.

You won't miss much about the Ford, whatever way you go, trust me!! :biggrin:

Pumpe-Düse
29-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi,

Does the DSG have the usual automatic trait of kicking back into a very low gear when you plant it and seemingly sound like you're going to blow the head off it. I have a 2005 XR6 Falcon with the 4spd tiptronic at the moment and although when it kicks back it revs pretty high it doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder auto would (ie - ready to explode in a pile of bolts) that's the main thing I dislike about auto's.

Cheers
Russ

No the DSG doesn't do that. Its nothing like an automatic transmission in its behaviour. Because it isn't an auto.

Mischa
29-06-2008, 05:20 PM
if you're in manual mode and you floor it, it wont change gears. if you then push a bit harder the pedal makes a click and it then changes down a gear or two.

i've owned a dsg tdi golf for a year and now the gt tdi in manual for 6 months and let me tell you... the dsg is still nothing on the pleasure of driving a manual :) (the dsg-ers will tell you otherwise though :nana: )

Cupra
29-06-2008, 05:36 PM
had our 2.0TDI DSG comfortline for 3 years this weekend & touch wood haven't had any issues with the drive train.... it goes like you know what :biggrin:

Russ59
29-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Russ,

I'd have to add my 0.02c.

I chose the manual GT and that was stepping out of a 4 speed auto BA GT. Whilst you sure have to actually "drive" the manual diesel, I hate to tell you that there'd be nothing between your current XR6 and my weezy 2.0 diesel in a traffic light drag. Sure I have to drive the ringer out of it to match the current auto 6 packs, but I've found through repeated attempts that these things are "about" the same speed as the 6 cylinders in a drag, and make even the 8's and similar beasty cars look silly in the twisty, hilly stuff. About the only difference is the transition to FWD, wheel hops at the lights, and power on understeer, which is all to easy with a genuine 350nm at the wheels!

Having had Ford Auto's for the prior 7 years, it's been a breath of fresh air to get back into a manual. The downside for me is that I can't really just "cruise" elbow out the window style as I'm ALWAYS changing gears in traffic, but the upside is I get to choose what the car does in the hills and odd squirt in the twisties. THAT for me is the winner. I'm sure DSG is 99% as good as previuosly mentioned.

I've not lived with a DSG though, so perhaps once a few of the DSG oilers chip in, you'll get a good idea of the real story. Also, sadly, Jaymz on here is looking to sell his as new tricked up GT, so in your shoes I'd be checking out that option in the "For Sale" section. I've driven it, and it just rocks.

You won't miss much about the Ford, whatever way you go, trust me!! :biggrin: Thanks to everyone for their feedback. My XR6 is a nice car but I have just replaced the brake rotors all round with aftermarket RDA's and it is already showing signs of light brake shudder again or is it the tailshaft ??? who knows ?? - It's more trouble than it's worth IMO. It also has a suspension bush in the rear gone (at least one) and this is on a car with only 58,000 k's on the clock. I am starting to drool even more about the thought of getting the TDI GT, I was going to test drive a 2.0 TDI Pacific next week, think I'll have to see if they've got a GT as well. I have already been in touch with Jaymz regarding his car and although it would probably be a great car, I am looking at buying new and without all the mods and my preference is for white in colour. I'm pushing 50 and I don't want the neighbours to think I'm having a Mid Life crisis :rolleyes:

Cheers
Russ

gregozedobe
29-06-2008, 11:58 PM
If you do lots of driving in thick, slow traffic you might want to do some research on VW DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters). These are standard equipment on the GT TDI and seem to cause some people a few problems.

IIRC they will also be fitted to all the new VW CR diesels when they arrive in Oz.

I have a DPF on my Van and have had no problems, but my driving is nearly all highway driving.

Russ59
30-06-2008, 07:32 AM
If you do lots of driving in thick, slow traffic you might want to do some research on VW DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters). These are standard equipment on the GT TDI and seem to cause some people a few problems.

IIRC they will also be fitted to all the new VW CR diesels when they arrive in Oz.

I have a DPF on my Van and have had no problems, but my driving is nearly all highway driving.

I live in country N.S.W, and most of my driving is highway as well (just have to avoid the roads on long weekends - bl$$dy tourists) so hopefully the DPF's won't be an issue. Thanks for the info though.

Cheers
Russ

Greg Roles
30-06-2008, 08:15 AM

I've noticed my car has idled at 1000rpm instead of the usual 800rpm a few times now, and I'd assume it's doing an active regeneration. It only lasts about 10-20 mins just like it says in the manual. I notice nothing else different, still drives as per usual. And I FLOG it daily and do lots of hard, city miles, so it seems it just regens when it needs to.

Makes no discernable difference to my economy, so if it is indeed regenerating, it doesn't bother me one little bit! Once I finally get my EGT gauge plumbed in, I'll be able to know for sure.

Roobuls
30-06-2008, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVWP7TYhP0c

Logzy
30-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I've noticed my car has idled at 1000rpm instead of the usual 800rpm a few times now, and I'd assume it's doing an active regeneration. It only lasts about 10-20 mins just like it says in the manual. I notice nothing else different, still drives as per usual. And I FLOG it daily and do lots of hard, city miles, so it seems it just regens when it needs to.

Makes no discernable difference to my economy, so if it is indeed regenerating, it doesn't bother me one little bit! Once I finally get my EGT gauge plumbed in, I'll be able to know for sure.

Same. .