PDA

View Full Version : cage rules ?

DVR68U
28-06-2008, 10:07 PM
hey guys anybody running a cage in their road car ? i have to get my mk2vr6 engineered anyway i was wondering if i can get a cage thru aswell ?
prob half cage for the street maybe i can get the rear seats taken out and rego as a 2 seater. any body have any experience doing it above board ?
cheers brenton

KI11Z
29-06-2008, 12:53 AM
make sure its a bolt in ;-)

Celestine
29-06-2008, 01:14 AM
As forementioned, it has to be bolt in (thus completely removable).

Another important thing to consider is the it cannot exceed 5 points for street legal use. Finally, it requires an engineers certificate and a mod plate as well for it to be legal to use. With all that say and done, insurace wont touch you with a 20foot pole unless it's someone like Just Car...

Peter Jones
29-06-2008, 10:36 AM
If you plan on racing the car you need to make sure it's CAMS legal too.

Here's the CAMS regs http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/general/0611_Schedule_J_Q208.pdf

I'm told it can be tricky to build a cage which is both CAMS and street legal.

I'd suggest you get an engineering firm to manage the whole project from start to finish so you can be sure it's safe and compliant.

Pete

Preen59
29-06-2008, 11:20 AM
If you plan on racing the car you need to make sure it's CAMS legal too.

Here's the CAMS regs http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/general/0611_Schedule_J_Q208.pdf

I'm told it can be tricky to build a cage which is both CAMS and street legal.

I'd suggest you get an engineering firm to manage the whole project from start to finish so you can be sure it's safe and compliant.

Pete

Thanks for the link Pete. Downloaded and saved. :D

Peter Jones
29-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the link Pete. Downloaded and saved. :D

If you liked that, the rest of the CAMS manual has it's own website here http://www.camsmanual.com.au/general.asp

I'm told there's a program to make the thing simpler but fir the moment it's a confusing document to figure out.

Pete

ScienceVR6
29-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I am also doing a half cage in my car. I understand QLD requires mod plates and so forth, but we don't have that kind of thing in vic. Will i still neeed an engineers cert for a bolt in half cage in vic? by 5 point, are you refering to having 5 points where the cage is mounted to the floor?

Peter Jones
29-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I am also doing a half cage in my car. I understand QLD requires mod plates and so forth, but we don't have that kind of thing in vic. Will i still neeed an engineers cert for a bolt in half cage in vic? by 5 point, are you refering to having 5 points where the cage is mounted to the floor?

Vicroads info here http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/35E021C8-0116-48E5-8EF6-BEDFCDF08265/0/VSI28.pdf

Other useful Vicroads info here http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/RulesStandardsRegulations/VehicleStandardsInformation/

Pete

Water Boy
29-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Its BS a proper CAMS log booked cage does not pass a RWC in Vic due to the side intrusion bars and the a pillar bar...

Its a load of crap a side intrusion bar will save your life but wont pass a RWC :brutal:

Preen59
29-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Its BS a proper CAMS log booked cage does not pass a RWC in Vic due to the side intrusion bars and the a pillar bar...

Its a load of crap a side intrusion bar will save your life but wont pass a RWC :brutal:

You won't find any arguments here. :)

Jarred
29-06-2008, 07:56 PM
how does it in any way affect the safety of a car (the side intursion bar)

It won't affect handling, braking, lighting structural rigity/strength in a negative way... lik wah... damn vicroads.

Peter Jones
29-06-2008, 08:00 PM
how does it in any way affect the safety of a car (the side intursion bar)

It won't affect handling, braking, lighting structural rigity/strength in a negative way... lik wah... damn vicroads.

Probably because it makes it harder to get out of the car.

They do seem to be allowed but they can't be higher up than the seat cushion.

Pete

Preen59
29-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Probably because it makes it harder to get out of the car.

They do seem to be allowed but they can't be higher up than the seat cushion.

Pete

Yeah that was my guess.

Manaz
06-07-2008, 08:49 PM

A cage makes getting you out of a wreck a damned sight harder. That's the primary reason for the restrictions.

Water Boy
06-07-2008, 09:06 PM
But it will save ya life... Hmmmm do the math :eek:

Valver.
07-07-2008, 06:39 AM
A cage makes getting you out of a wreck a damned sight harder. That's the primary reason for the restrictions.

It's generally a lot harder to get out of a crushed, cageless wreck than one that has kept a bit of structural integrity after a crash!

Preen59
07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
It's generally a lot harder to get out of a crushed, cageless wreck than one that has kept a bit of structural integrity after a crash!

Yeah, it's easier to get out of the hole in the side of the car where the door used to be if it isn't covered by the roof! :duh:

I can't understand the reasoning behind some of the RTA/RAC etc's rules.

Jarred
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Especially on such old cars (as ours) side intrusion bars would defiantly save your life.

Modern cars it's not so bad. But there ain't much to a mk 1 door! 3mm steel outer skin, and the inner frame is pretty flimsy!

Preen59
07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
3mm outer skin?!

Try 1.2mm

dangerous_daveo
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Bit more to this. Yes a cage in a fully preped race car, with all emergency services at the ready and everyone going around the track in the same direction is safer. Basically all the other drivers know whats going on, the medical dudes can get there asap, and the rest of the safety gear is designed to suit. IE, the seats, seat belts, etc etc.

However in a road car, its a LOT different. There are many more variables. Trees, light poles, cars coming from every direction. The car is a road car, so it has road car safety features, ie normal seat belts, normal seats, crumple zones. Then there the chances of a high speed crash are much much lower. A slow speed acco, with no fire suit, no helmet on, and a cage. Its got much more potential to be a hinderence than save you.

Either way, go back and do the sums. Chances are you will find having a road car as a track car (set up to that level) is a false economy. Just strip it, buy a tow ball and a trailer.

Like I mean, wearing a helmet and a fire suit everywhere must be safer. But like hell you are going to do that. (unless you have a pinto...)

Spec83
11-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Also, the reason cages arn't really user friendly is because the effect they have on the cruple zones built into the car by default.

These crupmle zones are designed to dissapate energy in a crash.

If you add extra stiffness into the body (by way of a cage) you change the way the energy disspates. Instead of the door and piller crumpling for example, the energy is dissapated in other ways, which may in an extreme case mean your car rolls 4-5 times instead of two... Along with this, comes the possibility of taking out more innocent road users :bluesbro: