PDA

View Full Version : Had a go in a 16v Mk1

Golf Loon
13-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I just had a go in a Mk1 with a fully rally cage and a 2L 16v 9a motor.
Couldnt get it to pull away, but I was in third, dodgy linkage.
When I got first it just took off. Fantastic. Torque Steer aplenty, and heaps of grunt. This was just a a stock 9a with a few issues, mostly wiring. So I`m thinking mine will be a bit nicer with the kr cams. It was damn loud today, no carpets and less exhaust. I`m prepared to trade a bit of speed in the interests of comfort and noise, not much, but a little bit. I`m off to the Garage now to put the 16v into my Golf. Cant Wait.
Even stock its a huge amount of power for the Golf. Phew.
Cheers for bringing the car over Ross, Hope you got back ok with dodgy light and all!

mrgolf
13-07-2005, 07:53 PM
If my 2 werent so pretty and so unmolested, this would be the ideal install for me. Sounds like you had fun!

Golf Loon
13-07-2005, 07:56 PM
I`ve been in a Mk2 16v and it was fast. But not crude balls out power like in a Mk1. The extra bit of weight in the Mk2 takes a bit of power away and the Mk1s handle better. (maybe) I was alarmed initially and then couldn`t stop grinning.

Gas
14-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Matty mate u make me jealous i wanna have a go in one too!!!
Maybe i should put a 16v in mine ahahaha
Well maybe after the spray

ausgolfer
14-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I have no doubt the Mk1 16v would be quick. :twisted:
A friend of mine down here in Melbourne used to own the only Mk1 G60 in Australia (I think it may be the only G60 in a car in aus??). It's not a standard motor with lots of work and over 200hp. It lit up the tires coming on boost in third, in the dry! Scarey fun.
All I need now is money and a supercharger.

GoLfMan
14-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I have no doubt the Mk1 16v would be quick. :twisted:
A friend of mine down here in Melbourne used to own the only Mk1 G60 in Australia (I think it may be the only G60 in a car in aus??). It's not a standard motor with lots of work and over 200hp. It lit up the tires coming on boost in third, in the dry! Scarey fun.
All I need now is money and a supercharger.

i know the place to get a supercharger man... doncaster autobahn $400 or close tooo.

Golf Loon
14-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Its not the charger, its the plumbing wiring and ecu mods that are the pain. :(

ausgolfer
14-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah it would be a pain. But I was considering stealing the bits from an old Saab or Volvo turbo and making a supercharger work with my 16v's K-jet set up. Although could be more of a pain than swapping to Efi.
One good thing about turboing the K-jet is there's not need to uprate the fuel pump as they flow enough for pver 350hp(thinks...hmm). :twisted:

Golf Loon
14-07-2005, 11:10 PM
The saab actually runs a very similar ecu and injection system. The intercooler and turbo are very neat. I have been looking at all the spare saab bits I have and my 16v motor and going hmm. Wouldn`t be that hard, but I reckon thatll have to be stage 2 of my project when I need more speed. You can get a us kit to turbo a 16v off the shelf.

ausgolfer
14-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Yes all the european cars had a similar setup for K-jet all made buy bosch. Audi Saad Volovo Benz VW Porsche. They's a good book for sale about the system but it was close to $200 I think :( .
Stealth racing in the UK used to make and sell turbo kits for 16v K-jets kicking out over 200hp. They used a fifth electronically controlled injector for extra fueling. Also some are using the K-star ecu reprogramers. I remeber about reading about a US kit but I think they stopped making it aswell.
Bahn Brenner Motorsport in the states sell a very mouth watering 16v supercharger kit, but it's pretty expensive considering that you could probably make half the bits yourself. They also sell twin screw compressors :twisted: to either replace your G-lader or simply bolt on.
Money needed :D . Then LSD, brakes, etc etc etc.

DOHCDAVE
15-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Wouldn't we all love a force fed mk1,LSD,4wdisc :!: :!:
I go to sleep every night thinking about how cool that would be...if i won the lotto that is lol.
And i've got somewhere information telling me that the K-jet injection will max out at 220 hp as the pump might be able to feed the fuel but the air flow meter will top out when the air pressure builds to it's max cap.
There's a guy up here in QLD that had rebuilt the gti 8v that was in my mk1 when i bought it, I had got intouch with him and he seemed to know all the ins and outs of turboing a mk1 with k-jet said he had a secret but wouldn't tell me.
But i do know if you hook up your cold start injector with your full throttle switch you can add that little bit more fuel at full throttle suppose to add a little power apparently.

MK1 16V 76
AUDI CD 100 79
AUDI CD 100 85

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Yes many people say the K-jet has a theoretical limit and with smaller the airflow meters thats true, but they did use K-jet on turbo porsches and the old school euro racers, I think even F1 used it at one point. The beauty of the system is you can interchange parts from other cars with a little ingenuity, for example if you wanted to you could fit a 6 cylinder airflow meter and plumb in 2 extra injectors at the top of the inlet manifold etc., imagine using one of a V8 mercedes :twisted:.
As for the cold start injector on at full throttle, I think that might be possible on the KE-Jet cars that have lots of other electrical imputs(exhaust gas analyser etc.) to the computer that can adjust the fueling back to a safe level. But on a standard K-jet it would just waste fuel and give a bad mix, as they run a tiny bit too much fuel as standard, I know mine drops a little bit of black smoke(unburnt fuel) at high revs and is standard.
One trick when turboing a K-jet is to use a WUR(warm up regulator from a turbo car) from an Audi etc. as they have a boost input tube that u run off the manifold and it increased te fuel that way(one of many). Also a rising rate fuel pressure regulator would be good but haven't seen them on the market for K-jet(extemely high pressures compared to EFI) for ages.

h100vw
24-07-2005, 01:36 AM
G60JAY has a 16VG60 Syncro Corrado in Brisbane.

http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8462&lighter=g60jay

More than one G60 :lol: and a pretty special one at that.

A mate of mine has a 2.1 16V MK1 running Webers. 210 at the crank. He uses it for trackdays mainly, the acceleration is unbelieveable. At the track he sits on the back of the 911s until they give up trying to stay in front of him. From the side of the track you can see the Porsche drivers staring at the rearview mirror down the straights.

He has Yokohama 032Rs the barely legal road tyres, fantastic amount of grip.

A mk1 16V is a formidable car, for very little money, in Europe anyway.

Gavin

Golf Loon
24-07-2005, 10:46 PM
FANTASTIC. I want my car back together. By Christmas hopefully.
I reckon itd be formidable in Oz too, you surprise people in a 1.8 Mk1 8v. 16v will be a lot of fun. Cant wait.

GoLfMan
25-07-2005, 12:25 PM
neither can i to see the result 8)

DOHCDAVE
26-07-2005, 10:20 AM
mine is ready to go, it just won't go properly :cry: should have been running in march.I Might be lucky for chistmas and get it going. :lol:

___________________________-
:twisted: MK1 THE BEST :twisted:

76 MK1 16V
80 AUDI CD 100 5E
85 CD 100