PDA

View Full Version : Porsche seats...

LowVeeDub
25-06-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm wanting to put some Porsche 944 seats into my vento. Full re-trim in Black cloth with tartan inserts for the middle of the seat and door trims. Has anyone put such seats into a Golf 3/Vento before on here. I seen one once for sale on the coast but never checked out the seats closely. Hope someone out there has some ideas??

LVD

DUB 20V
25-06-2008, 01:11 PM
dont know lol but im sure there was some of thoes seats on ebay atm.

Jarred
25-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Chances are, if you or someone you know are handy with a welder, you'll be able to customise the porsche seat base and put it onto a standard seat base. This keeps it simple as the seat operates like the original would.

Not sure on legal requirements though. It should be legal, cause technically it's the standard seat base, but not a standard seat. Depends if you want it full ligit or not. Best check with the local RTA/gov etc etc

LowVeeDub
25-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Chances are, if you or someone you know are handy with a welder, you'll be able to customise the porsche seat base and put it onto a standard seat base. This keeps it simple as the seat operates like the original would.

Not sure on legal requirements though. It should be legal, cause technically it's the standard seat base, but not a standard seat. Depends if you want it full ligit or not. Best check with the local RTA/gov etc etc

Thanks that does make sense. My older bro can weld. I'm off to buy some seats...:)

Golf Houso
25-06-2008, 04:23 PM
You need Porsche rails to be welded onto the floor/chassis, I was looking into getting 928 seats but its just too illegal and downright dangerous modifying the original seat base to fit onto the A3 seat rail.

DubSteve
25-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I have to modify my rails slighty to fit the mk4 ones:D

Will post pics when I actually do them.

Golf Houso
25-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I have to modify my rails slighty to fit the mk4 ones:D

Will post pics when I actually do them.

Thats perfectly ligit, doesn't it involve welding a central rail in? But porsche seats are completely different, I highly recommend getting the original rails and re welding them.

DubSteve
25-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Thats perfectly ligit, doesn't it involve welding a central rail in? But porsche seats are completely different, I highly recommend getting the original rails and re welding them.

Yes it does actually having to cut the centre rail off and insert another one:)

The thing is who is going to see it unless you have funny reupholstered the thing and it looks outawhack!

Jarred
25-06-2008, 04:47 PM
You need Porsche rails to be welded onto the floor/chassis, I was looking into getting 928 seats but its just too illegal and downright dangerous modifying the original seat base to fit onto the A3 seat rail.

Shouldn't nessecarily be "unsafe" if you weld it proper, and obviously, don't take any short cuts etc etc, and build a solid base.

But yeas. Possibly Illegal. as I mentioned in the other post, check with RTA etc etc.

It would probably have to be engineering to be legit. :?

Pullstarter
25-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Any seat mods have to be engineered, you can get away with it in some places where you don't have regular rego checks etc but it's still ilegal unless engineered. There is an exception for tailor made subframes from the seat manufacturer IF they are ADR complied like mine are :) But all states are different in this respect I think.

99gti
25-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Quote taken from light vehicle modifications: (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_06_-_guidelines_for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_20 07.pdf)

Seats
Owners should ensure that the seat and its anchorages comply with any applicable ADR requirements (possibly by certification from the seat manufacturer or by an engineering signatory) and the appropriate seat belts are fitted to all seating positions.

Vehicle Standards Bulletin No. 5 issued by DOTARS covers requirements for the manufacture of additional seats.

Seat belts
The level of safety provided by seat belts must not be reduced. Seat belts must not be replaced by belts of a lesser standard or with second-hand belts. For example, lap only belts must not be used in place of retracting lap/sash seat belts. The use of a retractable seat belt disabling device is not acceptable.

Seat belt anchorage points have been carefully chosen and tested by the vehicle manufacturer. Do not alter the location or strength of seat belt anchorage points without advice from an engineering signatory.