PDA

View Full Version : 16v on Digifant?

Golf Loon
24-08-2006, 09:42 PM
I am wondering how hard it will be to swop my 8v T4 engine for a 16v Motor.
I want to keep the digifant engine management that is on the van and use a custom fuel rail. Is that all I need, or are there other things I need?

Anyone know. I`m assuming this is basically like converting a golf 3 to abf spec.

Is an ABF fuel rail suitable for use on a kr motor? or shall I go aftermarket?

Lots of questions, anyone got any answers or suggestions?

Valver.
25-08-2006, 06:51 AM
I am wondering how hard it will be to swop my 8v T4 engine for a 16v Motor.
I want to keep the digifant engine management that is on the van and use a custom fuel rail. Is that all I need, or are there other things I need?

Anyone know. I`m assuming this is basically like converting a golf 3 to abf spec.

Is an ABF fuel rail suitable for use on a kr motor? or shall I go aftermarket?

Lots of questions, anyone got any answers or suggestions?

That's a big question, Loon!! :o :D

First up, you can't use an ABF fuel rail in a CIS manifold as it won't fit. Most people seem to use the Ross Machine Racing or Bahn Brenner ones with G60 injectors or something similar.

I'm guessing the T4 is Digifant 2 (?), in which case there are chips from SNS in the states you can buy to finish off the swap.

It's really popular in the USA, so rather than me typing it all out, have a look here:

16 pages of Digi II 16v info :)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1648969

Golf Loon
25-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I read that before, nice link valver. He seems to be saying that i only need an aftermarket fuel rail. I dont see why I would need a different ecu. I`m only interested in doing it if its plug and play.

I think its gonna end up being a rush job, as I need the van working, so will probably stuff something else in there, or bodgy up the mount.

Valver.
25-08-2006, 07:48 PM
From all the stuff I've read about it, it seems to be a massive job with lots of little niggling problems to overcome :( The ultimate way is to get a complete ABF, pre 96 injection system, but that isn't easy :o

evorobin
25-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I gave up on this idea. By the time you have bought the rail etc you may aswell run megasquirt management!

roccodingo
25-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I gave up on this idea. By the time you have bought the rail etc you may aswell run megasquirt management!

ha .... sense has prevailed...:D

syncro
30-09-2006, 11:27 PM
I dont see why I would need a different ecu. I`m only interested in doing it if its plug and play.

The ECU map would be wrong.
It could be a lot of work for very little benefit.

G60JAY
30-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I would have thought it would work ok. Could you just use the injectors from the current engine in a audi s3 manifold or one from eip or something. I ran my 16v g60 on the standard g60 injectors and ecu for 6 months with no problems.

Golf Loon
10-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Nice one Jay. I dont see why it wouldnt work. The 16vs run pretty well with just basic kjet, so why not with digi. Hopefull Ray has nearly completed his prototype aussie built rail and we`ll see.

Valver.
10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I've just got word on this one: they run ok with the stock map apparently - no reason not to get an SNS chip from the States, though :)

aprr32
10-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Coming in a little late on this topic but years ago a 16v swap into a Digi golf 2 was all the go.Use the stock injectors and custom fuel rail and everything else just worked fine.The O2 sensor would keep the mixture in check.This is all a bit academic as Loon has taken a T4 engine from me already and fitted it.

Golf Loon
11-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Yes thats true, but I have a couple of people with digi Mk2s who want to 16v em, but keep the injection system as it is. Custom fuel rail seems like the GO.

static1800
03-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I've also been reading in to this, it seems like alot of guys in the US are doing the digi conversion for the 16v. That 16v digi faq on vortex is gold the same guy also has this site http://www.dubbase.2ya.com/ fully documenting his conversion.

There is a couple of things guys were saying such as using a BMW maf unit which has more flow and will supply the 16v a lot better then a standard unit.

But everything else seems pretty straight forward, i just ordered a bentley manual online for a mk2 and am thinking this is a good way to go with it.

86gti
04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
smack a nice set of twin carbs on it :D
they sound good and use tonnes of fuel :cool:

static1800
04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
just what i need in my daily driver :D

Golf Loon
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah I reckon a custom fuel rail and use the digi is the way to go bro.
I did a heap of research on this and the fuel rails are $100 US.

static1800
04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Seems like an easier way to go with it, and you don't no until you try, guys on vortex seem to have great success with it.