PDA

View Full Version : vr6 turbo

16v_kid
24-06-2008, 03:42 AM
hey.
those anyone have a golf mk3 turbo vr6 because i want to make one and i need people to tell me what i need to do to the internal parts of the engine.\
cheers bois

DubSteve
24-06-2008, 08:04 AM
THe only one who has come close to building a turbo'd VR and is in the stages of building his drag VR6 is Seb (Bug Racer) speaks to him with the size of the turbo its freakin huge!

velly_16v_cab
24-06-2008, 08:07 AM
check on the Clubgti forum, there is a few VR6 turbos been built on there too

The_Hawk
24-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Supercharger...

There are off the shelf kits which will put out more power than you can reasonable use on the road. Having said that from what I have read Turbo can do bigger power figures...

Pullstarter
24-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd be more inclined to supercharge also, seems a lot less hassle and as Aaron says plenty of grunt.

vwthunder
24-06-2008, 06:19 PM
You dont need to do anything to the engine, you should be able to run about 9 pounds on standard compression ratio.

You can always use a decompression head spacer and run big boost, but the are very strong motors

Preen59
24-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Supercharger...

There are off the shelf kits which will put out more power than you can reasonable use on the road. Having said that from what I have read Turbo can do bigger power figures...

A turbocharger will ALWAYS give higher peak power figures comparably, but you don't have the same throttle response or progressive power output.

Go blower! :driver:

Valver.
24-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I would supercharge it aswell. A good, reliable, engineerable turbo conversation is well over $10,000 at any reasonable workshop.

You ideally need the intercooled blower kit in the Aussie climate, though, which bumps the price up a lot. The Aquamist kit is another option too, and it's pretty cheap.

This isn't the place to be asking anyway. No one on here has one that's running, whereas there are thousands on Vortex, along with all the info :)

Shteifen
29-06-2008, 10:15 PM
i would go with the supercharger before turbo. but that might just be because everyone and his brother has a turbo car these days.

i like the feel of the way an NA car delivers its power which is probably why i'd go superchager because its very linear like an NA car. bu then again if i went turbo i wouldnt give a crap cos boost is freakin wicked no matter how its delivered! :driver:

but if i had them money it would defs be a blower over a turbo, hands down :bowdown:

-Steve

The_Hawk
30-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Or this always a twin charger setup... ;)

twin eng, twin turbs
30-06-2008, 04:14 PM
hey.
those anyone have a golf mk3 turbo vr6 because i want to make one and i need people to tell me what i need to do to the internal parts of the engine.\
cheers bois

You can run up to 10 psi on standard internals as long as they are in good condition with out to many km's on them, but its having a good safe tune that is the most important thing with any custom setup...
Going the whole hog i would use Pauter rods, 8.5:1 JE pistons, ARP head/rod/main studs, inconel coated oversize supertech valves, HD valve springs, titaninum retainers, light weight lifters, Custom cam grinds to suit turbo, Alluminium flywheel and pulleys, linished crank or reground if required. Fully dynamically balanced, Custom inlet and exhaust manifolds. Port and polish and port match head and manifolds. Garrett GT35/40r with 45mm tial wastegate and a 3" exhaust. Motec or Autronic ECU. Their is so much more things than this though......

Bug_racer
30-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Alluminium flywheel and pulleys,

Im running the standard flywheel and pulley . Why would you play around with the harmonics and balancing of the engine without really knowing its outcome

linished crank or reground if required.

Id get the crank knife edged as well

Shteifen
30-06-2008, 10:02 PM
can you imagine the time, effort and pain in the @$$ it would be to engineer a twin charged setup? wow. it makes me wanna go get drunk to not think about it at all.

WABIT
30-06-2008, 11:26 PM
quote of the week, !!!!!!!!!!!!

wabit

KI11Z
01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
turbocharging is so much more efficiant than supercharging and u have almost limitless hp capabilities (for a fwd anyways)!

I've read that the stock internals can hold up to 11 intercooled pounds which I gues would be like 350hp? way too much but very cool. though 9psi is the safe option . . .

as was mentioned before, get on vwvortex (http://www.vwvortex.com)and search till your heart's content! :biggrin:

twin eng, twin turbs
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Alluminium flywheel and pulleys,

Im running the standard flywheel and pulley . Why would you play around with the harmonics and balancing of the engine without really knowing its outcome

linished crank or reground if required.

Id get the crank knife edged as well

I have balanced numerous bottom ends as an engine reconditioner and though aftermarket suppliers of alloy pulleys and flywheels say they are balanced when you balance a bottom end you balance the crank first and then add the pulley, flywheel and pressure plate and rebalance them all at once because it will be out of balance! Maybe not by much, but a decent amount will effect the bearings life, put undue stress upon the engine and reduce power and the smoothness of the engine under high revs. Knife edging is a great idea to and will reduce rotational mass as well as reducing parastatic frictional losses.

MattyT
01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
can you imagine the time, effort and pain in the @$$ it would be to engineer a twin charged setup? wow. it makes me wanna go get drunk to not think about it at all.

Says it all really!

I'd go a blower myself. Love that whine!

GoLfMan
01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
turbo ftw.....

VR6 turbo would be a better set up i recon, not a big fan on blowers

vwthunder
01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
turbo ftw.....

Many people have problems with the superchargers on VR6's with slack in the belt, if it is too tight, it puts too much preasure on Power steering, alternator, water pump etc, and eats them for brekkie.
If too loose then you dont make the power, most people struggle to make over 270hp with a supercharged setup.
I have read nearly all of the threads on Vortex on this.
Easy to make power with a turbo

Also Turbo FTW:biggrin:

Preen59
01-07-2008, 09:31 PM
turbo ftw.....

Bah, what would you know... :biggrin: j:

Put a puffer on it!

twin eng, twin turbs
03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Bah, what would you know... :biggrin: j:

Put a puffer on it!

Bah, you own a turbo! :moonie:

MattyT
03-07-2008, 08:04 PM
270hp in a mk3 is MORE then enough. The vr6 is a lively bastard as it is, with 100hp more it would be a real handful!!

Tim
03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
i have to disagree with all you supercharger lovers.
VR6 is already way too slow off the mark. Youre just gonna make it worse. At least you can make a turbo car boost earlier. Only problem is the power delivery wont be as linear so u create a bit of a straight line warrior

MattyT
03-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Stuff it then. Lets rip out all the vr6 motors and chuck in 1.8t's?

Tim
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Stuff it then. Lets rip out all the vr6 motors and chuck in 1.8t's?

thats hardly a step in the right direction! VR6 is a sweet motor. Just the 12v is impossible to get power from withough forcing it in there :P

Oneofthegreats
03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
thats hardly a step in the right direction! VR6 is a sweet motor. Just the 12v is impossible to get power from withough forcing it in there :P

This is very true.

How many of you have actually seen the VR6 port's incl. the new 24v one.

There are bloody terrible & I can see why they say it's probably one of the worse cyl. head design's in history.

But as bad as they may be, you can still force the stuff in there & it will still work.

Didn't EIP Tuning have a bolt-on kit that produce over 400hp on the stock Corrado 2.9 VR6 in the very early day's?

Tim
03-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Bildon motorsport are currently trying to squeeze 250hp + out of a 12v NA VR6. Im not sure how close they have gotten yet but they have some interesting pics of vr6 heads cut away and such
http://www.bildon.com/pub/cutaway.jpg

EIP are all but gone now. They were laughed off the face of the earth after messing around so many customers. See http://eipsucks.com/

They did have some nice looking stuff. But were blown away when C2 come to the market in the US.

Oneofthegreats
03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Bildon motorsport are currently trying to squeeze 250hp + out of a 12v NA VR6. Im not sure how close they have gotten yet but they have some interesting pics of vr6 heads cut away and such
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

EIP are all but gone now. They were laughed off the face of the earth after messing around so many customers. See http://eipsucks.com/

They did have some nice looking stuff. But were blown away when C2 come to the market in the US.

It's funny how some of these mob's are trying to squeeze orange juice out of apple's!!!!

VW Motorsport were getting 280+hp out of there NA 2L 16V rally engine.

I did read alittle bit about what happened to EIP. Sad & very frustrating story about what they did to some of there customer's.

I just found my old copy of a 1997 European Car with the very early EIP Tuning VR6 turbo's.

2.9L engine. Compression lowered to 9.0:1 with a thick copper headgasket, 12 psi, different Fuel pressure reg., AutoThority tune, 378hp & 419lb-ft at the wheels.

Tim
03-07-2008, 10:31 PM
It's funny how some of these mob's are trying to squeeze orange juice out of apple's!!!!

I think the idea is to squeeze what they can cos they service a lot of racing customers that have strict class rules

Shteifen
04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
with regard to the tension in the charger belt, there was a guy on Vortex how is very proud that he had the first cogged vr6 supercharger pulley.

by cogged i mean it has teeth. like those massive drag racing superchargers.
so his belt never slips. he reckons the usual vr6 supercharger, if its got the pulley on it to make, say 8 psi, it might only actually make around 6.5-7psi and not all the time and where its supposed to. but his will because it can not slip.

im pretty sure he had to engineer it himself, making appropriate pulleys for power steering, aircon, and of course the charger and whatever else runs off that belt.

im not debating that turbos can easily make alot more power. hands down they can. i think all i'd really want is around 250-270hp anyway. the reason i'd like a supercharger over a turbo is cos everyone and his brother with his fully sick skyline has a turbo. i reckon blowers are more old skool. and old skool is freakin cool :biggrin:

i've also heard that with turbo's you lose more of the VR grr, where as with the blower you still got it.

if only i had a money tree

-steve