PDA

View Full Version : T5 Lowering

gantoni_t5
22-06-2008, 10:10 AM
hey guys,

recently put a set of 20's on my 07 crewvan and now I need to look at my lowering options. I need to drop it between 40 - 50mm. The 20's have raised the height about 1.5" so its not just a matter of looks, its slightly uncomfortable getting in and out now and I want to make sure I can still get into undercover carparks without stressing that I might soon be driving a convertible. I have made a few phone calls to the major suspension shops in melbourne but they have all said they have never lowered one and dont supply springs for them anyway. I have found a mob in the UK which supply a set of H&R springs which are -40mm but they are not responding to my emails for a shipping quote. From some of the research that I have done it seems that you can go 40mm lower while still retaining good suspension geometry and comfortable spring rate.

I have also been told that when these are lowered, due to the IRS, the camber kicks out badly and you cant get a camber kit for them. I accept this as a myth until its proven to me because it was said by the same guy that had never lowered one before. I doubt that 40mm would effect the rear camber dramatically.

Has anyone here overcome this issue? Can anyone point to a company which makes the springs and actually is good with customers?

George

gantoni_t5
22-06-2008, 10:10 AM
and just for the guys who are wondering how the wheels fit, the are absolutely perfect. As the speedo was approx 5km's out from factory, the20's have brought it back to be spot on. I tested it with a GPS. The wheels are 20X8.5 with a +42 offset. I get full lock without any rubbing and the turning circle has not been effected. They are flush with guards also they dont stick out. I'll post a pic if anyone is interested.

rob64981
23-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Whos number did you have in the UK?

If you can give me the number and where you are(post address) i could ask around for shipping costs for you.

Tell me exactly what you require so i can get you a price for the item and one for the shipping.

If you dont want your details broadcast on here send me a private message or email me...

robert.mellor@manchester.ac.uk

Hope i can be of some help.
Rob

95vr6
23-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Are your wheels & tyres load rated as per original spec?

gantoni_t5
23-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Are your wheels & tyres load rated as per original spec?

yeah mate. the tyres are are rated at 775kg each corner (kumho ecsta) which is 3 tonne all up which is the GVM of the T5, and the wheels are load rated well also.

gantoni_t5
23-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi Rob,

I'm trying to get these springs: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=hrsprings&car=vwt5&manufacturer=hr&sub_category=1

I'm in Seaford, Victoria, Australia 3198.

There was a another website that was selling the H&R springs but I forgot to bookmark it and forgot the site but i'm sure the price was a bout the same.
Many thanks for your assistance mate!
George

rob64981
24-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Dont want to be a pain but which springs are you looking for?

There are 6 different one on the linked website.

I will ask around,

Is it only H&R springs you want?

Rob

gantoni_t5
24-06-2008, 12:53 PM
just the first set on the page. I appreciate your help Rob. If all goes well and we can set up a UK connection for aftermarket T5 parts there will be more parts bought. I work for a freight company and we are all private contractors. There are quite a few of us with T5's now but the availability of good aftermarket parts here in oz is very limited.

Thanks again for your time.

99gti
24-06-2008, 12:56 PM
:pics:

I wanna see the T5 on 20's!!!

gantoni_t5
24-06-2008, 12:58 PM
will do brother, gotta wash it first. Its been pissing down here in melbourne and everytime I wash it it gets filthy the next day. I'll take some snaps when I wash it this week.

99gti
24-06-2008, 01:00 PM
I've always wanted to get a van to do up (something different)...

gantoni_t5
24-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I reckon if I didn't need it for work I would still own one anyway. The T5's are so comfortable,spacious, powerful(2.5 TDI),economical,practical and tough looking. With all the new hoon laws and crackdowns these days its really annoying driving around in a "sports" car. I have a 74 celica coupe with an sr20det conversion in the garage that hasn't been driven for 6 months because I enjoy driving and modding my van so much. The good ol' days are over. Time for something different.

shogun2
02-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Here's another site that has lowering springs.
http://www.4x4styling.com/Cars/VW/VW_T5_E.htm

4wheels
06-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Did you try Pedders in Ferntree Gully. I had them put 'King Springs' on my Trakkadu before my Cape Yorke Trip. That's a slight lift, of course, but I seem to recall they talked about lowering as well. They do a lot of work through Burwin's so I expect some-one has asked for a lowering kit before.

Brian
2007 T5 Trakkadu
4Motion