PDA

View Full Version : Shoestring Golf??

c-issler
23-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi guys. I've been contemplating an upgrade to my daily driver as my lil' AE92 Rock & Rolla is getting long in the tooth (245,000+). Have a budget of five figures or thereabouts and want to keep some for the long ignored '76 Mk1. I'm impressed with the amount of love these Seats get and have seen a couple on carpoint.com that might be OK.
Questions? Are 2L 8V Toledo lumps Golf compatible? Is it worth purchasing a Seat of any kind with a view to making a BrundleGolf creation down the track? I know how Loon feels about this. Valver I'm sure feels pretty good about it too. Do any Seats have 2L 16V engines in them? Are ECU and wiring swappable? Should I just buy a Cordoba and enjoy it? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Bug_racer
23-08-2006, 01:54 PM
where are you located ?

c-issler
23-08-2006, 02:50 PM
In Geelong, Victoria.

midget
23-08-2006, 03:25 PM
the 16v engines are in ibiza cupra gti
also in the Toledo GT

my car (Toledo GLX) has the 2.0L 8v engine and is much more common
across the board for the cordoba and ibiza's

i'd imagine you can pop one into a golf, Isn't it Valver? (sorry if im wrong) who put the seat block into that mk1?

although you could join the Toledo minority ;)

Valver.
23-08-2006, 03:47 PM
It's all pretty much the same and nearly everything is mix and match :)

Golf Loon
23-08-2006, 08:42 PM
They are mostly Mk3 and Mk2 Parts from the VW Parts bin.

Ibizas are 1.4 single point injected or 2L GTI Multipoint

Cordobas are Mostly 1.8 Singlepoint, exactly same as CL Golf 3. Some would be 2L Multipoint, same as Mk3 Golf GL

1999 Cordobas also came in 1.6, with the engine from the POLO

Toledos are 1.8 Singlepoint or 2L Multipoint

The singlepoint injection is simple and rarely breaks, reliable and good for cold starts in the morning. Feels a bit soft to my GTI heart, but the Mrs Likes them

In Sydney you can pick up good Cordys or Beezas for $3000-$4000 and the same mechanicals in a Golf 3 Body will still cost you $6000-$7000.

Toledos seem pretty rare, and have a Golf 3 dash, not the Polo dash as used in the Cordoba and Ibiza.

5 Speed manual box is same as Golf, I dont like the Autos.

Buy one, SEATs are Great.

c-issler
23-08-2006, 11:01 PM
That's the most comprehensive rundown on here yet mate. Thanks. Here's the thing; I'm interested in a car in Sydney - a Toledo GLX '94/95 (different dates on different sites). 5 spd, 2L multipoint, quoted power of 98ish KW, 160,000 km, white, straight, serviced, new tyres, U G L Y (you don't need no alibi) interior, one owner since new sold by the dealer who now has it for sale, trucked to my door from Thornleigh in Sydney for $4990. I feel like its a deal I should make but am waiting for photos to be emailed to me and need to find out what my car's worth in the meantime. If any of you Sydneysiders can tell me a reason NOT to I'd be grateful.
There are many Cordies on carpoint that look good but are a lot more than your quoted estimates Loon. More like $6-7000 both in Syd and Melb. Anyhoo I'll wait 'til I get the pics and talk to Ian some more and once again thanks to you guys for chiming in and helping with info.

brackie
24-08-2006, 06:08 AM
U G L Y (you don't need no alibi)

It's in the eye of the beholder, mate. I reckon they look good ;)

There are many Cordies on carpoint that look good but are a lot more than your quoted estimates Loon. More like $6-7000 both in Syd and Melb.

Got to remeber that Matt's a bloodhound for a bargain and also a haggler :) Don't know how he gets them so cheap but part of it I reckon is that he's prepared to travel, can fix them and makes the time to do it.

Golf Loon
24-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah im a cheapskate, but remember there is a huge glut of cars at the moment. People are desparate to sell. I usually go and pick at it and wave cash at people. Its harder getting them cheaper from dealers. That one in Thornleigh has been for sale for at least 6 months for that price. I`d offer $4000 and take it from there ;) Toledos are rarer, hence maybe worth more, but that interior is shocking. One sold on ebay last week in Melbie for $2000, so there are bargains out there.

roccodingo
25-08-2006, 10:35 PM
seen a couple of bent ones here, and one de- licensed sitting in the guy's driveway for 10 months..( was moved 2 weeks ago), but yes, you could get one cheap i think if you do as suggested above.. the engine / trans is a good donor for a Mk1 anytime..;)

c-issler
01-09-2006, 04:13 PM
After looking for the bargain of the century for the grand total of ten days ;) I decided to buy the Toledo in Sydney and get it shipped to me here in Geelong. I'm happy with the price and have some wheels I'm eyeing off at a local Bob Jane's that'll suit her quite nicely. Now I have to tap my feet and wait for it to arrive - gonna kill me!
Since starting the thread I have of course debunked the myth of '98ish kw' and will have to make do with 85 or so if its in top nick. Will be looking for improvements in that figure after seat covers/wheels/tyres/lowering has happened and my bank balance has levelled out.
There'll be more questions coming I'm sure.

midget
01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
haha

Another Toledo Owner on the forum.:D:D:D:D

what rim size you going? 15s....16s.......17s?????

brackie
03-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Great to have another Toledo owner on the forum :D I love them.

Golf Loon
03-09-2006, 06:37 PM
There was a Toledo in this weeks Trading Post locally with 89,000ks for $900. I found out a day too late of course!

It did say it had rust

c-issler
04-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Midget - will probably put 16's on and lower it about 1-2".
Brackie - Thanks mate. I'm hoping I'll love it too. Wait and see.
Golf Loon - What the hell? $9oo? I really don't need to know that right now mate! ;)

Golf Loon
04-09-2006, 08:52 AM
The title of this thread is shoestring golf, but like everything, you get what you pay for. There are always crazies in Sydney selling stuff for peanuts to get rid of it. I`m sure your is a better car, hope you are happy with it.

midget
05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
"will probably put 16's on and lower it about 1-2"

just wait mate,

you'll be getting strange looks from riceboys all over
like a quizzical, what car is that? look

I've seen only 1 other toledo in newcastle

c-issler
07-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Toledo arrived yesterday without much fanfare. Picked it up from a mate's caryard and took it for a spin. Of course the tank was empty and of course the radio had been swapped back to one that doesn't work causing much loosening of plastic bits of centre console :( but overall I'm really happy with it. Oh, and its also got 8000 more k's on it than advertised :( but these are the things you get when buying a car from far away. Or are they? What do you guys reckon? I'm mostly peeved about the radio so I guess that means I'm a superficial prick but mechanically its so far so good. Gotta keep that glass half full ;)
On the road its surefooted and quiet. It feels substantial and and it hasn't been in an accident. There is no rust and the lenses all seem to be intact as well. I'm stoked so far. The interior is no where near as bad in the flesh and I won't even need to buy seat covers - its quite black with blue/indigo/grey inserts.
As for the title of the post and what that means to me is concerned, I guess what I was referring to is looking at it as a cheap version of a Mk3 GL. You can't get sub $5000 '95 Golf's with 168,000 on the clock without substantial amounts of work needed to get it to daily use standard. As it stands to my naked eye I feel like getting the Toledo delivered for $4200 was the best of both worlds. Will have to wait for the roadworthy check and VACC test before I can start crowing too much.

brackie
07-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Hope she passes first time. Congrats in advance ;)
I have a radio if you want one. It's only rad/cassette but it's near new may see you through until you can afford a new one. And it's free so pm me.

Golf Loon
07-09-2006, 08:45 AM
I`d ring up the car yard and spew about the radio. New CD players are $100 in Sydney now, demand that they send you one, or the one that was in the pic.

midget
07-09-2006, 12:27 PM
yeah mate definitely ring em up about the cd player, especially if it was advertised with one.....