PDA

View Full Version : What is the problem?

majimbo
19-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey guys and girls, My T4 has recently begun to give me some trouble. Occasionally it tends to stall at times at least a couple of days a week and same per day even. It seems to do this more when it is raining and when im driving at high speed and then slow down to take a corner or stop. It starts up immediately so not sure why it could be doing this. I have recently changed my distributor as well as my coil pack and this seemed to solve the problem for a bit, but its started up again so i've ordered a new set of leeds which i hope should solve the problem once and for all. Anyone else have this type of problem or have any better ideas of what it may be? Its a T4 2Litre Caravelle, 5SPD Manual, Petrol. Will let you know what happens once i change the leeds on the weekend. Thanx

Seano
20-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Sounds more like a fuel problem than an electrical problem to me....

Sharkie
20-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Do you have that CTI in Sydney with you. ?

Sorry, not on the topic at all .....

majimbo
20-06-2008, 11:18 AM
No man i dont, i wish i did tho, thats my car from back in South Africa. Wish i could've brought it over but too much money and paperwork. Do you have one?

majimbo
20-06-2008, 11:20 AM
So what do you reckon i should change my fuel filter and check my plugs? Theres no backfire or signs of it running rich, also doesnt seem to be any leaks. Someone said to me that it may be a crack in the vacuum hose, what do you guys think?

Bug_racer
20-06-2008, 11:22 AM
we never got a 2l Caravelle , well I never seen one and they never sold any when I worked at the dealers anyway . The ECU has the cover over it ? Also check for corrosion of earth terminals on battery and body !

Silver Caravelle
20-06-2008, 11:38 AM
So what do you reckon i should change my fuel filter and check my plugs? Theres no backfire or signs of it running rich, also doesnt seem to be any leaks. Someone said to me that it may be a crack in the vacuum hose, what do you guys think?

It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter and ignition leads & plugs to rule these out if these have not been done in a long time.

In regards to a cracked vaccumn hose it would have to be a very large crack in a hose or a vaccum hose that has popped off somewhere in order to stall.

Another thought is that your alternator might on the way out...which will impact the electric fuel pump, therefore fuel flow.

Could also be some crook fuel?

Finally make sure the carbon brush inside the distributor cap is intact. I have seen these not so on one or two occasions (in new caps) and only resting on top of the rotor button leading to rough running/missing.

Other suggestion might be MAF sensor fault connection.

Also recheck coil and lead connection.

Regards,

Scott

Silver Caravelle
20-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Also another thought...have you got a partially blocked CAT or exhaust?

Scott

DVR68U
23-06-2008, 12:36 AM
hey man check the 2 pin and 4pin sensors in the water outlet, should be a blue and brown one, often screw up and cause stalling and bad running , the computer thinks the motor is cold etc. ring up matt and tell him

cheers brenton

Bora Sport
23-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I know that this problem comes up with the Vento and Golf mk3 two litre. It is 9 times out of ten a relay which is an easy and cheap fix. I can't remember which one it is but I have sent a link to this thread to a mate who should be able to help. Hopefully.

majimbo
23-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanx for the tips guys, well i have recently changed the plugs and changed the leeds just yesterday and its ran fine until it did it again this morning on my way to work. Yea thanx i'm told its most probably the ECU relay so will have to check it out, is it difficult to replace? anyone done it before? i have a crack in my manifold, could this be part of the problem? don't think theres any blockage tho,
zero corrosion around terminals or anywhere on the body. might change the feul filter as well to see if that make a difference. Well its a Transporter/caravelle lol, half half, original transporter with caravelle motor and interior etc. when i insured it they had a listing for a 2Litre Caravelle so not sure, didnt think they came in this either but Matt told me otherwise, either way, as long its its VW im happy lol. with the distributor its only a few months old, have checked the coil pack also. sensors are all fine, just had one faulty a while ago and had it replaced. Will change fuel filter and attempt relay replacement and let you know how i go, any tips or instructions to change the relay would be appreciated, Thanx guys

majimbo
24-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Hey guys, should be fixed now, seems it was the Relay for the ECU, Hopefully thats all. Pretty simple solution for what i imagined to be such an irritating problem, Thanx for the helpful input guys, until next time, lol, laters :)