PDA

View Full Version : 7500km TDI Service Opinions

STV4SYT
16-06-2008, 02:32 PM
OK guys, im now at a point where i got to decide if i do it. I know it is recommended to do it at 7500 or 6 months according to the dealer but from what i have been seeing its not required by warranty and the synthetic oils used are sufficient to last the distance, esp when i have done that over 4 months. I guess it comes down to $280 to change oils and check the car over that would go half way to a PS3.

I realize i have probably opened a whole can of worms, as many peoples opinions will differ. When i had my R1 it had a 10,000km inteval, and i usually did at least 1 if not 2 changes myself in between times.

Is it better to take it to a local independant for a lot cheaper oil change or just sip it altogether.

My intention is to try and sel the car on after 12 months or so and get another one. so longevity isnt an issue, and im sure for most the fact that the optional service isnt stamped in the handbook isnt going to be a deterrent.

Greg Roles
16-06-2008, 03:03 PM
If you're not keeping it, stick with the standard 15,000k servicing, just like 95% of everyone else out there. Even if you do it yourself, it's still a 100 clam proposition. That's a LOT of jelly babies.

bmwrider
16-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I did mine my self got the oil from a VW dealer 5l for approx 75 dollars,
oil filter for $18, a set of car ramps I already had and away I went, to easy.

ps mine is a gt tdi

cetane
16-06-2008, 06:32 PM
As the title says.... That's exactly what it is. I reckon you've been over quoted by heaps, Steve.

I had mine done by a local VW approved workshop and I feel more comfortable about having had the oil changed. Nobody yet has been able to tell me just exactly what "running in" is done to the engine in the factory, so I prefer to drop out the oil and change the filter in order to get rid of any swarf or contaminants created when the engine is super-tight. Do they do this in the factory after initial start-up and testing :???:

I intend to keep my TDI at least until the warranty runs out so I want a trouble-free run. To me the $130 or so that I paid for the 7,500km service is well worth it as in the current economic climate I may be forced to keep it much longer than that.
Oh... and you'd have to do a lot of kms in a year to even start to feel the engine loosening up. Mine's done 30,000km in 2 years and it's still tight (but improving). But I ran it in properly ;)

vanDub
16-06-2008, 07:47 PM
My 2 cents worth as a result of quizzing my dealer about the service sticker on the windshield quoting "Oil change service due at 7500 Km or 6 months":

The Oil change debate – for those that insist on 15000 Km for the first oil change, read service schedule page 6:
“Diesel fuel in some markets has a high sulphur content. An oil change interval of 7,500 km applies for vehicles using this diesel fuel. This also may be required for vehicles operating under severe driving conditions.”

The emphasis above is VW’s and there is a similar comment on page 7.

Australian diesel is high sulphur at 50 ppm except for the BP Ultimate diesel on trial in Perth which, at 5ppm, matches the low sulphur diesel used in Europe. In VW speak Australian Diesel is High sulphur.

Service schedule page 13 What repairs must I pay for "You must pay the cost of repairs, replacements and adjustments that are neccessary due to:
(5th bullet item) Failure to have your vehicle serviced or repaired in strict accordance with Volkswagen's specifications and recommendations as set out in the Maintenance Schedule"

I am no lawyer but the above is enough to convince me that if a VW dealer puts a 7500 Km oil change requirement on the Service sticker, in accordance with the information that VW provides him, and you ignore it in favour of a 15000Km change and you subsequently have a warranty claim then don't expect any sympathy from me when their lawyers quote the above and lots more to deny your claim.

Note, I am not saying who must do the 7500 Km oil change, just that it should be done at 7500 Km and you must be able to prove it was done at 7500 Km, preferably with an official stamp in the service schedule.

STV4SYT
16-06-2008, 10:32 PM
So if my sticker says 15000km (and it does) im all good.

I can do my own change if necessary, its just good to hear all the opinions out there.

vanDub
16-06-2008, 10:52 PM
So if my sticker says 15000km (and it does) im all good.

But what does page 6 of your service schedule (section 1 of your manual) say?

It looks like TDI's in Golfs and the same TDI in a Passat are treated differently by different dealers when determining oil change intervals.

One would hope that VW Aust would have its $h!t in one pile regarding TDI oil change intervals.

Does anyone have an official position in writing from VW Aust?

mr_walker
16-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Australian diesel is high sulphur at 50 ppm except for the BP Ultimate diesel on trial in Perth which, at 5ppm, matches the low sulphur diesel used in Europe.

According to the Australian Institute of Petroleum (http://www.aip.com.au/industry/diesel.htm):

"Low Sulfur Diesel has been mandated in Western Australia and Queensland since 2000. It is now the standard diesel for all States."

however, they define low sulfur as anything less than 500ppm.

According to the Dept of Resources, Energy and Tourism's Fuel Standards (http://www.ret.gov.au/Industry/Petroleumpetroleumdevelopmentpetroleumexplorationp etroleumretailandpetroleumrefiningandfuels/Pages/FuelStandards.aspx) page:

"The current sulfur standard for diesel is 50 ppm and has been in place since 1 January 2006."

I think the question is, what is VW's interpretation of "low sulfur" levels?

OvaltoJetta
17-06-2008, 01:04 AM
$280 is definately toooo much. I had the car in at the dealership for a warranty problem with the rhf 1 touch electric window so decided to do an oil change while it was there ..... $185 - oil $69 labor $83.26.

Greg Roles
17-06-2008, 10:32 AM
But what does page 6 of your service schedule (section 1 of your manual) say?

It looks like TDI's in Golfs and the same TDI in a Passat are treated differently by different dealers when determining oil change intervals.

One would hope that VW Aust would have its $h!t in one pile regarding TDI oil change intervals.

Does anyone have an official position in writing from VW Aust?

My GT TDI page six is the same, but it does also say

"the service department at your authorised VW dealership will advise you if this shorter interval is necessary" or words to that effect.

My service centre told me no different, and like Steve, I have the VW sticker saying 15000, so that's enough for me. I still do my own inbetween as diesel oil gets rather dirty, rather quickly, and it's cheap longevity insurance.

What are you guys getting slugged for the 15000 service? I'm already at 10k...

orsegtsport
17-06-2008, 06:47 PM
$280 is definately toooo much. I had the car in at the dealership for a warranty problem with the rhf 1 touch electric window so decided to do an oil change while it was there ..... $185 - oil $69 labor $83.26.
$280 is actually quite good imo, because clearly some dealerships charge considerably more than that for a 'service'. I was charged $318 for my 15k service, which included $75 for oil, and $180 in labour!

If the oil is geniunely fully synthetic then I can understand that it's expensive (although not $75 expensive), but how on earth did they calculate the $180 labour charge? I seriously doubt that they spent over an hour checking over my immaculate 6 month old car, just to tell me everything is absolutely fine? Sheesh, stick a semi prestigious badge on a car and they think they can charge anything they like! I shudder to think what BMW or Mercedes charge then....I'll get my own oil next time (I doubt VW use the $75 oil they claim to anyway) and take it to Ultratune instead. Rant over.

mr.damage
17-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I was charged $318 for my 15k service, which included $75 for oil, and $180 in labour!

(I doubt VW use the $75 oil they claim to anyway) and take it to Ultratune instead. Rant over.

I was quoted $695 for my 60k service on my 06 tdi polo. I laughed and walked across the road to ultratune with my service book in hand. Quoted $210 From ultratune. Guess who got the job.

vanDub
17-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I think the question is, what is VW's interpretation of "low sulfur" levels?

Spot on Mr_Walker.

My original info was from the Victorian delivery dealer. Checked today with local North Qld dealer who "wasn't positive" but stated that they put 15,000 Km on the sticker and said that Australian diesel is "average" sulphur. He did promise to do some investigating with VW Aust about their position as well as a couple of other issues.

Sorry about my earlier rant but I am just paranoid about protecting my warranty and I am getting more and more confused / concerned about VW Aust's position on this debate.

Greg Roles
18-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Dude don't apologise, everyone with a car in a warranty period is concerned just the same. Warranty is ALWAYS a prickly issue, and even with a dead stock car you have to abide by more and more rules these days to keep it.

Seano
18-06-2008, 09:58 AM
My TDi has been serviced by a number of VW dealers over the years. The service interval has always been 15,000km.

BUT

The techs who do the windscreen stickers almost always get the interval wrong......the VW tech at the latest dealer puts down 10,000km as the service interval.

But if the service manager is telling you to come back every 7,500km then you are probably being fed a fine line in bull****......especially when you consider that a great part of a dealerships income is derived from the service centre.

That said there is nothing to be lost from changing your oil yourself every 7,500km....I do it on the T4 and it takes a half hour and the oil I use is Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W-40 which is a VW 50500 rated oil (there's also a long life version of this oil too Titan Supersyn SL 0W-30 VW50600 & 50601 rated) and it's available at my local Supercheap...

Buller_Scott
03-07-2008, 04:34 PM
hey there, my name is scott and i noticed that you have a polo tdi. i was just wondering if you yourself went ahead with the 7500km oil change?

if so, did you get it done at a service center, or did you do it yourself? if you did it yourself, which oil did you use and where did you get it from, if you dont mind?

any feedback would be ripper, because i intend my little pogo to last a long time....

cheers.

mr.damage
03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
hey there, my name is scott and i noticed that you have a polo tdi. i was just wondering if you yourself went ahead with the 7500km oil change?

if so, did you get it done at a service center, or did you do it yourself? if you did it yourself, which oil did you use and where did you get it from, if you dont mind?

cheers.

I have been doing my 7500 k services since the car did 30000k get the oil from supercheap Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W-40 get the filter from the local vw dealer.
Ultratune do the 15000k services from now on they did the last one much cheaper as you can see from my above post.
Next time I take it to them I might take my own oil just so I know what is in it though.
Once it is out of warrenty I might start doing all the services unless it is due for somthing major i.e. timing chain. The polo is the easyest moden car i have had to work on . It is on a par with my old 66 valiant to service once ya get all the plastic BS off . Might just leave it off one day the one that screws to the underside and bumper is nearly Roo#$d anyway. To much 4x4 work :) .