PDA

View Full Version : DSG performance - Need a Physio?

richdave
13-06-2008, 09:35 AM
I am for the most part happy with the smooth operation of the DSG in my Passat... however I cant master the smooth take off at all and it is really pissing me off! It's a neck jerking experience 98% of the time.

I expect a car of this price/quality to be better than a camry et al.

Is there a trick to getting a smooth take of from a stop?

I've tried with the "Auto hold" on and off. On seems to make some take offs smoother but not all.

I guess if I nailed it at every set of lights it may be less jerky but then I'd go broke filling the tank..

Mischa
13-06-2008, 10:45 AM
in what way is it jerky? are you referring to the initial lag and then the sudden kick of turbo boost? just lift your foot off the accelerator slightly when you feel the power start to come. its just the characteristics of a turbocharged engine. no power when off boost, necksnapping power when it hits boost. gotta modulate the right foot a little ;) apologies if you know this already, not trying to be condescending lol.

richdave
13-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks Mischa for your post.

Nah not the lag... well I dont think so.

Gentle acceleration always gives rise to a jerky take off and it's really anoying.

If I was doing inner city commute stop/start every day I'd want to sell the car it anoys me so much. Thankfully I dont do too much stop/start driving in heavy traffic.... but I am not too sure I'll get another DSG

drbass
13-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Dave,

Know exactly what you mean.

I personally find that the Autohold makes it slightly worse. The smoothest way to get going (that's my experience anyway) is to just ease off the brakes, and once the car starts rolling forward accelerate as necessary. You won;t be the first off the lights, but of course you won't be the first to stop at the next set, either ;-)!

This is obviously difficult on a hill - there you still get the jerk. Otherwise, I'm happy.

Not sure if this helps.

Seeya,
Michael

Cupra
13-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing this is a 125tdi/passat thing as my 2.0tdi dsg golf is smooth as silk all the time.

Phil

richdave
13-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah Cupra seems so.

Thanks drbass... I'll try that and see if I can tame this monster somewhat.

Wonder if VW will have a better solution i.e. s/w update or something for the control modules???

drbass
13-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Not a problem.

Seems that the engagement of the clutch is an issue with this particular combination (engine/software/DSG).

I find it much worse when reversing, by the way. Backing out of the driveway leaves me and the family with whiplash - OK, not quite but it's definitely not smooth.

Anyway, apart from that I'm still extremely happy. Great performance, lovely economy figures (6.9/100 after more than 11,000km, plenty of commuting in the hilly northeastern suburbs), only minor rattles (I take that as a positive ;-!), and so very practical.

Have a nice weekend!

Seeya,
Michael

SmutsGTI
13-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Maybe look at getting it chipped, would this make the changes a little smoother?

Smuts

drbass
13-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Smuts,

Once you're rolling the changes are absolutely immaculate, silky-smooth. I have no issue with those.

It's the initial "getting off the line" thing that Dave referred to, and it's basically the clutch engaging rather roughly and abruptly.

Don't think that chipping will help ... .

Seeya,
Michael

SmutsGTI
13-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Bummer Michael that would annoy me as well!

STV4SYT
13-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I find gentle does it. unless im in a hurry its best to take brake off, let the car start moving itself and then accelerating gently.

i know what u mean about reverse, its at its worst when u are on a single lane road trying to reverse park with traffic behind u, then it really gets the kangaroo juice going.

richdave
13-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Bummer Michael that would annoy me as well!

Yep it is starting to ruin what is a great car for me.....

drbass
13-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Come on, Dave, can't be that bad ;-)!

Try the "easing in" method (that was confirmed by steve-tdi), and you should be OK most of the time.

While it is not the nicest thing (and seemingly occurring only in combination with the 125 kW engine) there are way to many great things about the package to make this a showstopper.

Anyway, good to see some rain here in Melbourne - that'll keep the traction control busy.

Have a nice weekend,
Michael

guthrie
13-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Can confirm that my 103kW tdi has a similar trait - reasonably smooth once into second gear, but pretty jerky or snatchy if you arent perfect with the throttle from a standing start...

The Golf I had as a loaner the other day didnt do it, so I wonder whether the extra weight of the Passat has anything to do with it?

balkanac
13-06-2008, 02:23 PM
There is a reason why people have 2 legs...

guthrie
13-06-2008, 02:25 PM
There is a reason why people have 2 legs...

Assume you mean left foot braking... Pretty sure the ECU cuts the throttle as soon as you apply any brake pressure.

STV4SYT
13-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Anyway, good to see some rain here in Melbourne - that'll keep the traction control busy.

Have a nice weekend,
Michael

Haha, mine is busy even in the dry, i usually turn it off in the rain as it cuts in too much and im pretty used to driving on slippery roads so its more of a hindrance than an aid, esp when trying to pull out of a "T" intersection.

richdave
13-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Assume you mean left foot braking... Pretty sure the ECU cuts the throttle as soon as you apply any brake pressure.

Yeah I think you are right on that one...

Lance B
13-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I think the DSG was a little more jerky when first new, but I cannot be absolutely certain if it was or not. Whatever, the DSG is nice and smooth now from take off.

richdave
13-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I think the DSG was a little more jerky when first new, but I cannot be absolutely certain if it was or not. Whatever, the DSG is nice and smooth now from take off.

How many Km have you done? I have just clocked 6K

RWK
13-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Does Passat come with Launch control like the GTi Golf?

Lance B
13-06-2008, 03:59 PM
How many Km have you done? I have just clocked 6K

ABout 9,000kms.

Mischa
13-06-2008, 04:00 PM
you could take it to the dealer and get them to demonstrate how to take off properly :???: if they cant do it then i guess you could tell them to fix it.

balkanac
13-06-2008, 04:47 PM

hahaha, no, i ment a clutch pedal!!! DSG is amasing, but its still far off a manual

greygolf8
13-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Ive got a golf TDI DSG. In D mode its smooth providing im not flooring it. In S mode, its ok to accelerate up thru the gears, again not leadfooting it. But it gets a bit jerky / clunky around the 'change' speed of 1/2 & 2/3 if your NOT accelerating or braking. Usually it changes down, revs up, then immediatly changes up to 2. This is in Sydney traffic :( Ive found feathering the throttle to avoid the 1/2 & 2/3 gear changes unless there is a clear run ahead is best.

Ive avoided using the manual DSG change, as I invariably change to the opposite gear I want. :( Anyone else find this annoying ?

Lance B
14-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Ive got a golf TDI DSG. In D mode its smooth providing im not flooring it. In S mode, its ok to accelerate up thru the gears, again not leadfooting it. But it gets a bit jerky / clunky around the 'change' speed of 1/2 & 2/3 if your NOT accelerating or braking. Usually it changes down, revs up, then immediatly changes up to 2. This is in Sydney traffic :( Ive found feathering the throttle to avoid the 1/2 & 2/3 gear changes unless there is a clear run ahead is best.

Ive avoided using the manual DSG change, as I invariably change to the opposite gear I want. :( Anyone else find this annoying ?

I use manual(tiptronic) almost all the time. I think it works brilliantly.

Timbo
14-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I read this thread with a tad of trepidation, as we took delivery of a new Golf GT TDI DSG yesterday, and I couldn't remember if we'd experienced any jerkiness on the test drive or not.

Well, so far -- 150ks -- it feels a smooth as silk, in either D or S. In manual, it just depends on your style. Methinks there may be something in the ECU coding, and the dealer may have an update.:)

vanDub
15-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Hi Dave,

After 5000k in 2 weeks (mostly highway getting home) I am the same as you but at this stage accepting that the problem is me still getting used to the DSG as it is so different to my camry V6 auto (now wife's car).

Auto hold is definitely worse so I have stopped using it unless I need it (was using it 100% initially).

As part of experimenting trying to get good fuel economy, I now find that I get best results by releasing brake, car starts to creep forward and being very gentle with accelerator. DSG shifts into 2nd very quickly (still walking speed) and I only put the boot into the accelerator after DSG is in 2nd regardless of whether I want a BOF (boring old fart) takeoff or to play at the lights. Around town I am achieving my normal (reasonably rapid) takeoffs with absolutely minimum accelerator and early gear changes that I would only achieve in the Camry by using half accelerator or more so that it stayed in lower gears and rev'ed out.

I definitely feel each gear change around town (compared to Camry) but that's because of the extra pull from the high torque. Can't feel the gear changes on the highway because its all pull until I ease off.

PS I added writeup and pictures of my genuine towbar to your towbar thread.

Man In Black (MIB)
15-06-2008, 08:30 AM
The original issue described is something I certainly experienced when my V6 was new. Back then S on the DSG actually stood for Suicide. That did go away after time. Then came the dreaded DSG lag.

However, I have been experimenting with it constantly. I have come up with the following:
-the lag (in my car) is due to the car starting off in 2nd gear, as it hadn’t come to a complete stop and thus selected 1st. When you push the accelerator all the way it still proceeds forward in 2nd gear but suddenly realises after about 3 metres that 2nd gear won’t cut the mustard for what is been requested through the pedal. As the system has already selected 3rd and waiting to apply it, it then has to do a reset to get to 1st. This reset procedure I think is the lag. The way around it is to select S mode or force the car into 1st using the tiptronic mode. Once in 1st I have not had any lag issues.

vanDub
15-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I find it much worse when reversing, by the way. Backing out of the driveway leaves me and the family with whiplash

If you are backing out of your driveway it may be the auto release of the park brake (I assume it is on when you get home) that is a bit rough. It's the same issue as with the auto hold function.

Try manual park brake release instead (foot on brake / press button) and it may be better in this instance.

drbass
16-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi vanDub,

Thanks for the advice. Had already tried that previously but don't really see much difference.

Mind you, since this thread was started I've been much more conscious about the whole thing, and it seems that it is not that bad after all. Or maybe it's the full moon coming up, who knows ;-)!

Seeya,
Michael

OilBurna
19-06-2008, 07:16 AM
if not happy perhaps best to get dealer to check it out. mine is fine, (103kw) version can occasionally be a bit snappy if you take off in a hurry, but wouldn't describe it as jerky, probably more firmish. I leave autohold off as well unless I really need it. if you are in cbd area welcome to try and see if any difference. Yes a manual would have been nice but no choice in the Passat wagon.

3Putt
23-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I agree, the throttle is so touchy it make smooth takeoffs hard.

But its a small price to pay for what i belive is the best bit of kit i've ever had on a car - the DSG! What a hoot it is. Diving into roundabouts with a couple of flips on the downshifter, with the accompanying 'blips' on the throttle. As i shift down form 4th to 3rd to 2nd, and the revs blip from 2 to 3 to 4000rpm, i feel like Schuey!

The new M3 'clutchless' transmission (they call it SMG II) is of the same dual clutch design as my VDub! How cool is that! BMW following VW's lead.

And the autohold feature is just brilliant, IMO. Its just another one of the little innovations on the B6 that makes driving so much easier and fun. I drive my wife's Alfa 147 every now and again, and i can't tell you how annoying it is. Hill starts, turning wipers and headlights on, dipping the rearview mirror, pushing the clutch pedal, guessing how far away the car behind me in the parking lot.. all such backward 'nineties' tasks!! :)

Lance B
23-06-2008, 11:19 PM

But its a small price to pay for what i belive is the best bit of kit i've ever had on a car - the DSG! What a hoot it is. Diving into roundabouts with a couple of flips on the downshifter, with the accompanying 'blips' on the throttle. As i shift down form 4th to 3rd to 2nd, and the revs blip from 2 to 3 to 4000rpm, i feel like Schuey!

The new M3 'clutchless' transmission (they call it SMG II) is of the same dual clutch design as my VDub! How cool is that! BMW following VW's lead.

And the autohold feature is just brilliant, IMO. Its just another one of the little innovations on the B6 that makes driving so much easier and fun. I drive my wife's Alfa 147 every now and again, and i can't tell you how annoying it is. Hill starts, turning wipers and headlights on, dipping the rearview mirror, pushing the clutch pedal, guessing how far away the car behind me in the parking lot.. all such backward 'nineties' tasks!! :)

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about the DSG. What a fantastic piece of kit it is! I drive in tiptronic mode 99% of the time and it is a real hoot. Seemless power all the way through the gear changes without missing a beat and then being able to change down in a flash.

This is the way autos should function! A few cars back, I had an auto Subaru 3.0lt flat six Outback and it was an awful affair and I vowed never to buy an auto again. The auto never knew which gear you wanted and even in tiptronic you still had to wait until the slush box engaged the gear once you had selected it, which seemed like an erternity whereas the DSG is instantaneous. I will never buy any other type of auto.

As you say, getting in a car without the benefits of DSG, hill start assist, auto wipers, auto headlights and auto dipping rear view mirror really makes it chore and I can't wait to get back into my Passat. :biggrin:

ranton-inc
24-06-2008, 05:25 AM

i thought SMGII was around long before VAG DSG?

richdave
03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
gonna take the car back to the dealer this week and seeif there is anu ECU update available to aleviate this annoying behavior which I feel spoils the car

OilBurna
04-08-2008, 07:12 AM
good luck let us know how you go..

1_Darkhorse
31-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I am for the most part happy with the smooth operation of the DSG in my Passat... however I cant master the smooth take off at all and it is really pissing me off! It's a neck jerking experience 98% of the time.

I expect a car of this price/quality to be better than a camry et al.

Is there a trick to getting a smooth take of from a stop?

I've tried with the "Auto hold" on and off. On seems to make some take offs smoother but not all.

I guess if I nailed it at every set of lights it may be less jerky but then I'd go broke filling the tank..
Hey,

we've just clocked up 8,000K's and its only in the last 3, 000 that it has become really annoying. When not careful its as if i'm in a manual with a learner driver..... :-(

The only way i seem to be able to acheive any sort of smooth launch is by putting my foot down somewhat... not ideal when trying to conserve fuel.

I'm almost tempted to take it back to the dealer at this stage. Has anyone done this?

DiMmY
01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey,

we've just clocked up 8,000K's and its only in the last 3, 000 that it has become really annoying. When not careful its as if i'm in a manual with a learner driver..... :-(

The only way i seem to be able to acheive any sort of smooth launch is by putting my foot down somewhat... not ideal when trying to conserve fuel.

I'm almost tempted to take it back to the dealer at this stage. Has anyone done this?

When we test drove the R36 I noticed that my dad was having difficulty with this issue as well + the diesel we test drove once.

blutopless2
01-09-2008, 09:50 AM
i have a jetta 2.0TSI that i found really annoying with the take off lag also. seemed to be such a pain to get off the line without planting the foot and giving everyone whiplash.

WestOiler125
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

have read the tread and been out for a test run. Mine has done 7000km and although there is some lag at takeoff I certainly have no jerkiness. This is a beautiful gearbox, I just love the way it matches the torque of the diesel and provides drivability for a short revving engine with the six speeds. Mind you, I'm not a revhead, being more of a cruiser, so I don't try to be first off the line.
My bro is an experienced Audi A6 TDI driver and explained that you need to get used to the lag at takeoff, which I think is minor compared to some petrol turbos I drove in the 80s and 90s (eg. WRX).
All in all I love this car.:driver:

tryingavw
08-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi all,
Mine has done 7000km and although there is some lag at takeoff I certainly have no jerkiness. T:

Hi westy. i have ordered the same car as you- wagon, 125kW, granite, leather. ( except including satnav and xenons but not auto tailgate. ) But i only got around to driving the 103kW and did not notice any turbo lag with the 103. have you driven both and does the 125 feel much different? And whilst the 103 felt fine, I'm hoping the 125 has much more urge.

The biggest problem is I ordered late June and am now quoted december delivery !:duh:

snodrogs
09-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi all,

have read the tread and been out for a test run. Mine has done 7000km and although there is some lag at takeoff I certainly have no jerkiness. This is a beautiful gearbox, I just love the way it matches the torque of the diesel and provides drivability for a short revving engine with the six speeds. Mind you, I'm not a revhead, being more of a cruiser, so I don't try to be first off the line.
My bro is an experienced Audi A6 TDI driver and explained that you need to get used to the lag at takeoff, which I think is minor compared to some petrol turbos I drove in the 80s and 90s (eg. WRX).
All in all I love this car.:driver:

I agree. I have read a lot of feedback and comments about jerkiness etc on forums including on the VW/Audi UK forums, but I too have got used to the little lag at takeoff, and allow for it. I don't do the quick takeoff from standing start crossing oncoming traffic that I would have done with my previous manual vehicle, but again, you allow for the differences between vehicles...

One of my earlier cars was a 1986 Mazda 929 Turbo (factory Turbo) and the turbo lag was shocking (but it was a beautiful car cruising on the open road). The delay with the Passat turbo is minor in comparison.

After 4000km in this vehicle I am used to the DSG and now I very rarely take off in such a manner that earns me a dirty look from the "boss" in the passenger's seat. :eek: She is used to the idiosyncracies of the vehicle and L O V E S it...

I had a 103kW TDi rental in Europe last year, and even at low km with my vehicle, I believe that I can feel the extra torque of the bigger engine. Having said that, if only the 103kW was available when I was looking to purchase, I would have been happy with that too. Great engines and gearbox combination IMHO... :biggrin:

Tringavw, the wait sucks, but it will be worth it!

tryingavw
09-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Tringavw, the wait sucks, but it will be worth it!

the waiting really does suck, probably made worse by my adding xenons to the car a month into the deal. plus I'm just about to sell the wife's wagon ( 2000 bmw 528i) so will need to find alternative wheels for 3 months. After I get rid of it i'll hassle the dealer for a golf loaner.... :bowdown:

WestOiler125
10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi westy. i have ordered the same car as you- wagon, 125kW, granite, leather. ( except including satnav and xenons but not auto tailgate. ) But i only got around to driving the 103kW and did not notice any turbo lag with the 103. have you driven both and does the 125 feel much different? And whilst the 103 felt fine, I'm hoping the 125 has much more urge.

This car has plenty of urge, it reminds me of my supercharged V6 Commodore, but just much more refined, better built and very stylish. I'm sure you will love the 125kW.:)

richdave
17-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I have just dropped my Passat off for it's 15K service... I asked them to look at the transmission.

I got a shiney new Jetta for a loan car.. It is smooth as silk on take off. Not a hint of shudder or jerking. Same driving style...

I sure hope they can make the Passat better!

passatpout
18-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I have just dropped my Passat off for it's 15K service... I asked them to look at the transmission.

I got a shiney new Jetta for a loan car.. It is smooth as silk on take off. Not a hint of shudder or jerking. Same driving style...

I sure hope they can make the Passat better!

I noticed the same jerkiness on mine (125kW TDI DSG) on take-off, sort of feels like a spring is wound up, then released all of a sudden. As well, my wife said that it hadn't gone into gear a couple of times when she'd driven it. When the corrosion was repaired last week, I asked them to look at the box (particularly after having a Jetta loaner with DSG, not sure on the engine, think it was the 1.9 TDI).

They reckon they reset the values back to factory, allow the fuzzy logic another play, and other than that they reckon it's the torque of that engine combined with the box to be normal.. the funny thing is that I remember commenting on it to the dealer when I test drove it before buying..

Anyhow, drove it from Melbourne to Newcastle on Sunday (did the whole trip on one tank, had to refuel in Newcastle, not because it was empty, I didn't even have the low fuel light on, but because I was back to Sydney yesterday and it wouldn't have quite made that), and noticed that it's really smooth shifting gears, but the initial take-off is pretty rough and snappy, regardless of how much throttle is used.

Last night, my brother gave it a blat down Hawkesbury Road, he mentioned the same thing - rough take-off, smooth as when shifting up or down, since it was in 4th with him going full throttle and he hadn't noticed the changes. It kept up with a Forester (the version with the WRX engine) going back up the hill, even though he was trying to get away from us..

I'll give it a few more km, then when it goes for the 15,000km service I'll take the dealer/service people for a drive to point out what I mean.. having driven 4 Golf/Jettas with various engines but all DSG, and been in a couple of others in the UK (TDI with DSG), it only seems to be the Passat that has it.. I wonder if it's a consequence of the differing torque characteristics combined with a higher mass needing a bit more action to move..

Here endeth my thoughts..

3Putt
18-11-2008, 09:21 PM
The 3.2V6 petrol is a bit jerky off the mark, but nothing that my wife complains about when she's in seat 1A.

V6 has 330Nm. How much does the 125kW TDi have?

Mind you, whatever it has, its bound to be sh*tloads more than my car at 700-1000rpm, the kind of revs you have when starting off in 1st!

I hope the DSG is programmed specifically for that TDi. It would have such a different torque curve to the V6.

It couldn't be that simple could it? They couldn't be that dumb could they? Put a V6 'mapping' into a TDi?

Maybe its a limitation of the DSG. Maybe it can't handle 300Nm at 700rpm!

But then again, I think the RS6 has a bit more than 300Nm...:biggrin:

richdave
20-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Well the dealer has done "something" as it is better but not perfect! Problem is that with a weeks driving it is getting a little worse each day. The dealer has stated on the service report that there is a fault requiring follow up. I was verbally told that it may be software or an electronic fault and the issue has been reported to VWA for advice/resolution.

jmj
26-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Reading this thread there seems a few people out there experiencing issues with the Passat Turbo lag... I wonder if the MY09 upgrade to CRD will make a difference.... anyone out there with a MY09 Passat have any remarks?... my MY09 arrives in March next year.

richdave
27-11-2008, 04:36 PM
The issue I have is NOT turbo lag IMO there is a problem with my DSG box. The dealer has confirmed this and I am waiting on a response.

jmj
27-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the clarification... eagerly awaiting your response.

passatpout
28-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks, I'd like to know what they say, I reckon mine has the same glitch (very very jerky when starting to move).

terra australis
04-12-2008, 12:33 PM
This is my first post so hello everyone...We have had our 125kw sedan granite for just over a year and really do love the car except for the turbo lag and whiplash...taking the car in on Friday for its 30k service and will again mention these issues as I did at the 15k service...wish me luck...

terra australis
05-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Had the car in today for a 30k service and got a golf d as a loan car. After driving the golf around for the day I am convinced that there is something definately wrong with our Passat.

Picked up the car this arvo and said to the service guy that there is something definately wrong. And guess what, they agreed with me:eek:. They have referred it to VW and will be in contact when they know what to do. So will let you know what happens...

Cheers...

gregozedobe
05-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome aboard TA. Hope you find lots of useful info here, and it will be good to hear what they do about your problems. I'm a manual gearbox all the way man, so any problems I have are only my lack of feet, hand and brain co-ordination :)

greenkombi
06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
When you push the accelerator all the way it still proceeds forward in 2nd gear but suddenly realises after about 3 metres that 2nd gear won’t cut the mustard for what is been requested through the pedal. As the system has already selected 3rd and waiting to apply it, it then has to do a reset to get to 1st..

That drives me nuts with the DSG. In auto and sometimes semi-manual when you take a corner and you have to slow a little too much and when you get around and start accelerating, it has a heart attack and needs to drop to 1st with a quite uncomfortable jerk followed by whip lash.

DSG is the way of the future but I think I'd prefer a clutch still.

3Putt
06-12-2008, 07:55 AM
In manual mode it should never kick down a gear unless you push the accelerator thru the detent near the end of its travel. ie. if you tramp it!

It will also kick down if you slow too much for the selected gear - it is 'idiot proof' after all.

terra australis
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
ok gotta ask about the turbo lag in TDI. I find it really annoying/dangerous in the Passat. So is there a fix for this? After driving the Golf TDI where I hardly notice any turbo lag.

3Putt
06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Apr, Revo, Giac...

richdave
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
The dealer finally called back, they are going to try a s/w update.

If that does not resolve the issue then I have a fault somewhere.

terra australis
08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Same here car is booked in for software update as well. Hopefully this will fix the issue...

richdave
16-12-2008, 06:30 PM
The car had it's service today. They tried a s/w update and have now advised that the mechatronic module needs replacement and will take 2 - 3 weeks to come in.

Apparently this is not a unique issue and some other DSG boxes have had similar issues.

3Putt
16-12-2008, 10:17 PM
What a shambles rdave... how long have you been complaining about this issue? Months, as I recall.

And we all thought you were just a crackpot!

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in these DSG thingys. Mine's been 'cluncking' into 5th for a while now.

Does anyone else have any DSG 'issues'? Might be time to 'circle the wagons'.

Sorry for all the 'quotations'.

I guess its the price we pay for being the proverbial guinea pigs for this sort of new technology.

Small price to pay though, i reckon. Overall what a great piece of tech the DSG is. I still reserve bragging rights over a mate who drives an '02 M3 SMG. Talk about 'clunking'! That thing is positively bone rattling compared to my silky smooth 'poor cousin'.

richdave
17-12-2008, 09:24 AM
What a shambles rdave... how long have you been complaining about this issue? Months, as I recall.

And we all thought you were just a crackpot!

I originally posted in June but I did not complain to the dealer. I waited till the first service which occured in mid November. At that time they tried a few things and determined that a s/w update may resolve the issue. As I was waiting on some other items (fuel sender, a/c vents) I booked in for this week. and they have now tried the s/w and want to replace the mechatronic module. Apparently there is a very strict protocol to follow before replacing the mechatronic module. GIven when I made the dealer aware of the issue I cant be too upset about the progress TBH.

Rest assured I will not be happy if the next visit in January does not resolve things adequately :brutal:

terra australis
19-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Our car goes in on Tuesday so hopefully the software upgrade works for us. Not keen to wait another three weeks if the module needs replacing (My neck is getting real sore). :frown:

vanDub
20-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Don't have a problem with my DSG (although I can't always get a real smooth takeoff when it has warmed up), but if there is a software 'upgrade' available shouldn't it apply to all of us, regardless of DSG issues.

Haven't heard a thing from VW about this 'upgrade' except whats been posted here, or do they only tell you about it when it goes in for a service?:???:

Can anyone enlighten me and others about this 'upgrade' and what it is supposed to do?

terra australis
21-12-2008, 02:38 PM
We dont know if the software on our gearbox is corrupted or a different version is being loaded. VW have not advised us yet but will ask on tuesday.

terra australis
24-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Had the car in yesterday and the dealer is not happy with the software upgrade and has referred the matter to VW. Looks as though we are going down the same track as Bigdave. Whats funny is that the dealer described it as the car doing "bunny jumping" which made me laugh.

I just want to say that we couldnt be happier with the service that we are getting from the dealer in this matter (Big thumbs up).

richdave
24-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Had the car in yesterday and the dealer is not happy with the software upgrade and has referred the matter to VW. Looks as though we are going down the same track as Bigdave. Whats funny is that the dealer described it as the car doing "bunny jumping" which made me laugh.

Sure does sound like it. Hopefully I will have the car sorted week 5th Jan otherwise It will have to wait till after Australia day as I am away in the US and Mexico for 2 weeks :biggrin:

terra australis
24-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Sure does sound like it. Hopefully I will have the car sorted week 5th Jan otherwise It will have to wait till after Australia day as I am away in the US and Mexico for 2 weeks :biggrin:

Same problem with us would prefer it sorted out sooner than during our holidays. Although would prefer to go to US and Mexico...but we are going camping in the Snowy Mountains!!!!:driver:

terra australis
08-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Car is booked in late Jan for the next fixit job (2 Days). Hopefully will rectify the problem and will be able to advise other forum members of the outcome...

richdave
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi terra australis thanks for the update. I look forward to catching up on the outcome. I have no word yet from the dealer but I go on holidays on the 13th till the 26th so I guess it wont happen till Feb for me. :frown:

passatpout
14-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, I dropped mine off at the garage for its 15,000km service this morning (only at 16,500-odd, blame Christmas travel, shutdowns and backlog).. told them about the jerking, and got them to drop me at a railway station.. lo and behold, it was as smooth as silk when the mechanic was driving it.. no word yet on if they've found anything, but I guess I'll find out tonight when I collect it.

I've also asked them to check the air-con, it seemed to struggle with Melbourne's heat yesterday quite a bit..

vanDub
14-01-2009, 07:30 PM
lo and behold, it was as smooth as silk when the mechanic was driving it..

He has obviously learnt how to drive it, get him to give you some lessons.

I had trouble getting smooth takeoffs initially but am getting better as I learn how to drive it. It seems to be about slow application of power to start and then accelerate your rate of acceleration once you get under way.

I also accept that some DSGs have issues with mechtronics modules etc like Rich Dave and hope that they get fixed properly.

terra australis
14-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, I dropped mine off at the garage for its 15,000km service this morning (only at 16,500-odd, blame Christmas travel, shutdowns and backlog).. told them about the jerking, and got them to drop me at a railway station.. lo and behold, it was as smooth as silk when the mechanic was driving it.. no word yet on if they've found anything, but I guess I'll find out tonight when I collect it.

I've also asked them to check the air-con, it seemed to struggle with Melbourne's heat yesterday quite a bit..

Be persistant if you feel you have a similar issue. We complained about the DSG issue at our 15k service but nothing was indicated on diagnostics and they couldnt replicate it in the test drive. Raised the same issue again at 30k service nothing showed up on diagnostics but on the test drive they agreed with us.

Just gotta say that the dealer has been brillant in with the issue couldnt be more happier with the service that we are getting.

3Putt
15-01-2009, 08:07 AM
May be a thread drift, but my DSG clunks into 5th - clunk coming from the rear.

The clunk is just subtle, and only happens if i change up at around 60-7-km/hr.

Is anyone worried about the longevity / long term viability of this 'new' technology?

Can anyone with a high km DSG comment on their experience with their drivetrain? Might be interesting to see who has the highest km DSG in the land!

BTW, i think i will start a new thread...

passatpout
15-01-2009, 08:20 AM
What's annoying me is the randomness of how it jerks, and the comments I get from the expecting one beside me. As much as the mechanic managed to drive it smoothly, he only had to do two standing starts, and one of those was downhill.

With me, it doesn't seem to matter if I go straight from brake to throttle, or brake-pause 2 seconds-throttle, light throttle or heavy throttle, auto-hold on or off.. sometimes it is smooth, sometimes it's a neck-snapper, with a good solid jolt coming through the car (I can only imagine what the shock load is doing to the drivetrain, suspension, etc).

Anyhow, I picked it up from the service, they said they've updated the software on it, but I didn't get much of a chance to test it last night, only that a couple of starts were smooth, and a couple were rough. The comment the dealer made was that the gearbox gets serviced at 60,000km - interesting they're making that comment now, when it's only done 16,500-odd km..

One thought that's occurred to me - has anyone else noticed if it's worse when shifting from reverse to drive (or vice versa)?

A/C was OK too in their opinion..

Ralph
18-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a question on DSG more on when the reverse gear is engaged. Apologies that it may be a bit off current topic thread. When I reverse the car uphill I really need to apply revs for it to move. From my days driving a manual, it very much has the same feel as when a clutch is not fully let up or when the clutch is slipping. At speed, it's not noticeable. Unfortunately my driveway doesn't allow me to reverse at speed, and this is where it happens. I've tried it with Auto Hold on and off with mixed success. I'm concerned I may be doing some damage to the clutch plates plus with the revs so high, sometimes the gear engages better and you build up quite some speed quickly. Not good in our driveway.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Ralph.
R36 MY08 Silver Wagon

3Putt
19-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Mine does the same thing on steep reverses - prob just behavior that we have to live with. It seems to rev a little to high and not let the clutch out enough.

Those hill starts are tricky though (just ask my wife), and it is just a machine afterall. All up, i think it does a great job.

Once again, its DSG for best technology to come in car since tubocharging!

gead
19-01-2009, 01:07 PM
interesting mod available in the states.....

Stage 1 – 4750RPM launch control with disabled kick down in manual mode
NOTE: ANY Car which does not have factory launch control will now have it engaged!

Putting the driver back in control, the DSG will react as a true manual gearbox allowing better control and feel in mid corner entry and exit. With the higher launch control, the reaction off the line will radically improve as the 3.2 will launch within its TQ band.

Stage 2 – Stage 1 + shortened shift response, 7150RPM redline

With all the advantages of Stage 1, the stage 2 expands the control of the driver by shortening the reaction time of each shift upwards of 60%. With the redline bumped, no longer will the gearbox shifts begin its shift at 6500RPM. Breathing into the red, the motor’s power band will be fully unleashed.

Stage 3R – Stage 2 + higher TQ limit ,clutch engagement optimization, “D” mode reprogrammed for a sportier street feel

A MUST if you have 400hp +Intended for modified FI applications, we have revamped the clutch engagement curve to allow better grip with the OEM clutches or our aftermarket upgraded versions. The TQ limits that the DSG will accept have been increased. The D mode remaps the shift point for round town driving. No longer will the DSG shift through all 6 gears under 35MPH. With heavy power modes, the resulting kick downs are very abusive on the gearbox and erode the initial impact of the power band when looking to overtake.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4158902&page=1

terra australis
21-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Well car is in at VW today and they are replacing the mechtronics. So I guess that is the fix it for the DSG.

jmj
21-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Good luck Terra... eagerly awaiting the results of your first test drive.

rotelman
21-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Only got my Passat last Friday. 125TDi DSG, MY09. The DSG is the best Auto I have ever driven. Can't really fault it in any way.:biggrin: Hope it stays this way!
Just a shame the Auto Hold function has to be specifically selected every time you put it in drive. I love the Auto hold and would like it to automatically engage all the time.

tryingavw
21-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Hey Guys,

Only got my Passat last Friday. 125TDi DSG, MY09. The DSG is the best Auto I have ever driven. Can't really fault it in any way.:biggrin: Hope it stays this way!
Just a shame the Auto Hold function has to be specifically selected every time you put it in drive. I love the Auto hold and would like it to automatically engage all the time.

yes also the position of the button - its is obscured by the gear stick. if we had LH drive cars it would be in the perfect position.

the park assist button is also on that side which is a pain.

drbass
22-01-2009, 05:46 AM
... just VW being too lazy to reconfigure the layout for the RHD market ... .

When I first got my car I loved the Auto Hold function, too, but now I use it only occasionally.

On topic: After one year, the DSG seems to be performing with mixed results. Some days it's "smooth as", on other days I'm tempted to get out and find the pouch it's that bouncy. Will raise it at the 30k service.

Mind you, this applies to take-off only. Once moving it's the best way to shift gears, hands-down - incredibly smooth and seamless. Only thing to remember is not to lift off the accelerator.

Seeya,
Michael

richdave
26-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey terra australis... back from mexico so keen to know how the replacement went before I chase my dealer for same..

richdave
26-01-2009, 02:37 PM
... just VW being too lazy to reconfigure the layout for the RHD market ... .

yeah a bit of a disappointment IMO

tinto
26-01-2009, 03:30 PM
interesting mod available in the states.....

Stage 1 – 4750RPM launch control with disabled kick down in manual mode
NOTE: ANY Car which does not have factory launch control will now have it engaged!

At 4750, you would just sit and fry the front tyres, LC or not!
Probably a bit better in an R32 :)

3Putt
26-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Or in my car!

Been looking for a mod that 'enables' launch control for 2 years now.

This looks to be it, but you have to send your mechatronics unit to the US! Ouch!

They did let me know via email that a swap can be arranged so my car has no down time.

Maybe a group buy??? Any takers???

terra australis
27-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Car is fantastic. A completely different drive...you will love it... I started a new thread titled DSG fixed...happy driving:driver:

richdave
27-01-2009, 08:22 PM
hey great news. I'll chase my dealer tomorrow...

richdave
01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Booked in for the 9th Feb for a module replacement

terra australis
02-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Excellent....you wont believe the difference...

richdave
14-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Excellent....you wont believe the difference...

Well it's been a week now and I feel like some aliens stole my car and gave me a new one....

OMG the difference is just amazing... :biggrin:

vanDub
14-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Well it's been a week now and I feel like some aliens stole my car and gave me a new one....

OMG the difference is just amazing... :biggrin:

Glad to hear its all good now, hope it has have changed any negative thoughts you were harbouring about the Passat in the past.

richdave
14-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah I am very happy with the drive now... back to the way it was.

Still a few anoyances but what car is 100% perfect? None I have ever owned so the Passat is no exception. All the little things are easily forgiven when the drive is enjoyable...

Caddyman
14-02-2009, 10:02 PM
RichDave, what dealer did you have your car fixed at?

My Father in laws 125kw passat has the same problem, bad!!!

thanks in advance:)

Matthew

passatpout
15-02-2009, 07:52 AM
My story goes that I've told the dealer about the jerkiness in the gearbox about 4 or 5 times, even commenting on it when I test drove the car. It had since gone back for various services, warranty repairs, etc, and each time I'd told them about it, getting the standard "We're reloaded the software, tested it, it's all OK".

The final straw was in January, when it had the 15,000km service, and I told them (yet again) about the jerkiness. Their technician drove me to the nearby station and somehow managed to get it as smooth as silk, but I've had intermittent success with it - sometimes nice and smooth, other times feeling like the engine speed has picked up to 1500rpm or so before the clutches engage, and when they do there's no progressive take-up, just on or off. When I picked the car up in the afternoon, I was told again that the software had been updated, and there was nothing wrong with it, but the gearbox would go through a full service at 60,000km - not the best attitude for a car that's still closer to fresh out of the box than that distance (if it was up to 58,000km, then maybe it would have been a different story).

Anyhow, I had a follow-up phone call from them a week or so ago, asking what I thought of the service, and I told them I wasn't impressed with the answer given, but due to work I couldn't spend the time going through it in more detail. Finally, on Friday they called me back asking if they can have another look at it, so I'll arrange a time for the week commencing Feb 23.

I think this time it's no holds barred - I'll tell them I've done my own research, found out that while it's not a problem that affects all cars, it affects a fair few, and that the fix appears to be replacement of the mechatronics module (although I don't want to dictate a fix to them that doesn't solve the problem and they turn around and say "We've done what you told us, there can't be any more problems").

Will keep you posted..

richdave
15-02-2009, 09:21 AM
RichDave, what dealer did you have your car fixed at?

My Father in laws 125kw passat has the same problem, bad!!!

thanks in advance:)

Matthew

Berwin VW Burwood hwy Ferntree Gully

Caddyman
15-02-2009, 10:19 AM
thanks

Matthew:)

richdave
16-02-2009, 07:00 AM
I'll tell them I've done my own research, found out that while it's not a problem that affects all cars, it affects a fair few, and that the fix appears to be replacement of the mechatronics module (although I don't want to dictate a fix to them that doesn't solve the problem and they turn around and say "We've done what you told us, there can't be any more problems").

Will keep you posted..

My dealer told me that they are under strict instruction regarding how to handle these issues...

Sounds like your dealer is just doing what they have to... perhaps they could be better communicators though.

If the s/w has not fixed it then the next step should be replace the module.

terra australis
16-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear its all good now, hope it has have changed any negative thoughts you were harbouring about the Passat in the past.

Gotta admit the negative thoughts were justified cause when the mechatronics dont work the car is a piece of you know wot ....

terra australis
16-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh and forgot to tell you all that the loan car that the dealer gave me (Jetta only 3000km) died on the second day. Went to start the car and nothing. All the usual lights came on but no go. Couldnt even move the thing out of park. Then the key wouldnt come out of the iginition. So now I am thinking holly crap what have I done:duh:. So rang the dealer and they rang the 24 hour service. He came out and couldnt get the car going...although he did manage to get the key out of the igintion but could not get the car out of park. Then we couldnt lock the car at all. Long story short is that hubby came and picked me up and the little Jetta stayed parked out the front of my girlfriends unlocked untill the next morning when the tow truck came to get. Still dont know what the problem was.

Hubby reckons I have a negative aurora that causes electronic things to do weird things...:frown:

passatpout
16-02-2009, 11:56 AM
My dealer told me that they are under strict instruction regarding how to handle these issues...

Sounds like your dealer is just doing what they have to... perhaps they could be better communicators though.

If the s/w has not fixed it then the next step should be replace the module.

Which dealer were you using for them to be that open and honest about following protocol? The general impression I'm getting is that they're trying to deny any problem, hence why I want to be a little more upfront with them. The software has fixed it for a day or so, then it seems to get worse (not sure if it's placebo effect though).

Also noticed that the change into 2nd is getting a bit rough as well, and that sometimes the throttle is misbehaving (idle at 1100-1200rpm, instead of 750-odd, without a/c on, revving out to 3000rpm when changing gear with the throttle backed off, etc).

Anyhow, I'll call them now and make a time for it to be looked at again..

nting
16-02-2009, 12:08 PM
passatpout, I'd be telling them how rubbish it is (car problem and their service) and basically how all your friends have no faith in VW anymore. They keep asking you about the car and if it's been fixed yet. I know all my mates would be quizzing me since none of them have VWs yet. It is ruining their name and brand so they need to step up to the plate and fix it if they want to keep any kind of loyalty. This is a publicity issue not a warranty issue! Speak to the dealer principal if you need to.

tryingavw
16-02-2009, 01:12 PM
passatpout, I'd be telling them how rubbish it is (car problem and their service) and basically how all your friends have no faith in VW anymore. They keep asking you about the car and if it's been fixed yet. I know all my mates would be quizzing me since none of them have VWs yet. It is ruining their name and brand so they need to step up to the plate and fix it if they want to keep any kind of loyalty. This is a publicity issue not a warranty issue! Speak to the dealer principal if you need to.

wonder how they got in the top 10 in the uk for customer satisfaction then?

meanwhile weve had no issues at all since delivery 6 weeks ago:).

gregozedobe
16-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Also noticed that ....., and that sometimes the throttle is misbehaving (idle at 1100-1200rpm, instead of 750-odd, without a/c on, revving out to 3000rpm when changing gear with the throttle backed off, etc).

Could that be the DPF doing its regeneration thing ? (most common after doing a bit of stopp-start traffic driving).

IIRC there have been at least one software revision and quite a few DPF pressure sensors replaced (so far) on the 125Kw TDI PD engine to fix DPF problems (particularly regenerating when it wasn't really needed).

richdave
17-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Which dealer were you using for them to be that open and honest about following protocol?

My dealer is Berwin in Ferntree Gully Victoria. Cant praise them enough....

passatpout
24-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Right, it's back to Werribee today..

I took the maintenance supervisor for a spin, and the first time we took off it jerked and bunny hopped like crazy, then did a couple of smooth starts (albeit not from a complete stop).

He then said that it felt like it was trying to select first and second at the same time, and mentioned that after going over the car, advice will be sought from Sydney. He then said that a couple of rectification options are (wait for it).. replacement of the control module or replacement of the gearbox.

I'll find out more later today.

richdave
24-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Sounds like they are finally going to replace the mechatronics module... Good one

passatpout
24-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, just had a call from them.. apparently they updated the software again, then discussed further with VGA.. were given another code to access the controls, updated other software/firmware, took it for a drive, and it's all good.. apparently.. I guess I'll find out tonight when I take it for a spin..

passatpout
24-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I've picked it up, and taken it for a spin.. about 45km all up, with a mix of suburban and freeway, red lights, roundabouts, etc.

It's much better, but it still gives a distinct jerk occasionally.. not as often, probably about once every 5-7 standing starts.. the rest of the time it's silky smooth.

I also noticed that it did a really snatchy change from 2nd to 3rd, but I didn't really notice the road at the time and could have hit a bump or line on the road right as it changed (although it did feel like a pull in the powertrain, rather than suspension).

So do I take it back and say "Close, but no cigar"?

About to take it back for another spin, tossing up whether to drop it back at the dealer again tomorrow since I'm in that area, or to wait..

richdave
27-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I
So do I take it back and say "Close, but no cigar"?

yep, take it back. It should be silky smooth all the time IMO

passatpout
27-02-2009, 08:13 PM
yep, take it back. It should be silky smooth all the time IMO

Thanks for that. I'll arrange another time for them to have attempt number.. um.. 6.. I think.. might be 7.. I'm kinda losing count..

And the most annoying thing is that sometimes it is silky smooth, just drives away.. having a play the other night, I noticed that it revs up to about 1100rpm when the throttle is first touched, then feels like it engages with no progression, dropping to about 850-900rpm, then powering away.

Creniac
27-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi richdave, I'm new to the DSG gearbox as well, I have a Tsi Jetta that tends to want to bolt on me at low revs with a relatively small pump of the right foot, however it also seems very controllable once you get used to it. Excuse my forgetfulness after a few red wines but is your passat a diesel or a petrol engine?

Creniac
27-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Dave forget my last question I see yours is an oiler...... did the replacement mechatronics module make a difference???

richdave
03-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Dave forget my last question I see yours is an oiler...... did the replacement mechatronics module make a difference???

Yep... the car is now silky smooth all the time... just like it's supposed to be. Very happy now :driver:

PROJET - L
06-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Interesting to see this thread.
I've had a 103kw Passat Tdi since Feb 07, and it too has jerky changes in comparison to my old Golf Tdi and other Jetta's GT's that I have driven.
Besides this it has a programe which I have dubbed Green mode. Bloody thing changes up up up whenever it can unlike my old TDI Golf.

Other things to go wrong have been lower control arm bushes colapsing, upper strut bushes that groan when turning steering wheel been replaced and happening again.

Injector going into total failure and leaving me stranded. Fuel computer and loom replaced. Rear door trim coming away (whole panel).

Quite simply this is the worst VW I have ever owned. After 05 the accountants got control of the decision making I believe :brutal:

This is the last VW I will ever own, and I have had 4.

You buy German you expect German quality, if I wanted this sort of ownership experience I would have bought French and expected it.

End of rant.

tryingavw
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Interesting to see this thread.

End of rant.

sounds bad, can understand your feelings. I am at that point with my bmw 7 series- but it is now 7 years and its just the cost of repairs that kills it.

how long before you started to get problems?

and not forgetting you are still in warranty they should fix all this.

touch wood we have had no issues in 2 months.

PROJET - L
06-03-2009, 02:46 PM
First problem was around 12 months into ownership which was a failed park brake switch which I forgot to mention.
But the DSG was always chunky from the first day.
Was told that they had altered the slip pattern on the clutches to give them a longer life.
Man the 05 Golf TDI I has was the most beautifully smooth and rapid response DSG experience.

Ah well.

dammfool
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
My wife just got her passat tdi dsg and the the gearbox is as smooth as.Cant feel the upshift or downshift.We just took it on holidays and i couldnt fault it.Averaged 5.6 per hundred with only 500ks on the clock with a boot full of luggage,bloody thing doesn even sound like a diesel,compared to my polo which sounds like a large semi.My wife complained that it wasnt quick off the mark,but after reading the manual the dsg does that to limit damage .

passatpout
08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Next quick question.. for those who have a smooth starting box, when you take off, does it sound like a manual engine taking up load? I get that occasionally on mine, when it does do a rare smooth start, but the rest of the time it just sounds and feels like the clutches aren't taking up progressively.

tryingavw
10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Next quick question.. for those who have a smooth starting box, when you take off, does it sound like a manual engine taking up load? I get that occasionally on mine, when it does do a rare smooth start, but the rest of the time it just sounds and feels like the clutches aren't taking up progressively.

feels like a well executed manual take off.

passatpout
10-03-2009, 11:32 AM
feels like a well executed manual take off.

Thought so.. it's done that a few times, the rest of the time it's a kick in the pants.

passatpout
17-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Right, I called the dealer again yesterday, and told them that it's still not fixed. My brother also drove the car over the weekend, and asked me what was wrong with it, so it's not just me.

The dealer replied with "We've done all we can, we've updated all the software, can you go for a drive with the technician to show them (again)?"

Apart from getting annoyed they're doing the whole "can't do anything more", the car still isn't sorted and they seem to be relying on software as the only thing they can fix.

Is now the time to throw a wobbly, ask them to show me what they've done to inspect the gearbox from a mechanical/physical perspective rather than software, etc, etc?

It's booked back in for tomorrow, and basically I'm going to say to them they can have the car for as long as it takes to fix it, I'll take one of theirs, and return it when they're done.

I'm also going to write a letter and give it to them, pointing out that this will be about the 7th time it's been back to them with the same fault..

Any more tips, advice and pointers on what to do next? I'm tempted to ring around some of the other Melbourne VW dealers (Burwin, Essendon, etc), and see what they say.

richdave
17-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Get in touch with Berwin in Ferntree Gully... I mean take it there if you can. They fixed my car and it has done over 2k now without a single issue. I am very happy.

The dealer needs to replace the mechatronics module. It is a warranty issue and you should tell them that. There is a documented process to do this thru VW Aust. and they seem to have all but the last step on your car...

Who is your dealer BTW... name and shame I say

passatpout
17-03-2009, 07:24 AM
The dealer needs to replace the mechatronics module. It is a warranty issue and you should tell them that. There is a documented process to do this thru VW Aust. and they seem to have all but the last step on your car...

Right, how do I go about getting the documented process? Call VW direct?

Who is your dealer BTW... name and shame I say

Werribee. Don't think I'll be buying cars off them again - and the Passat's up in 2 1/2 years, plus thinking about getting my wife an Eos as a present when our bub arrives.

tryingavw
17-03-2009, 10:03 AM
i was in sydney last week and met up with a frig mechanic who has a transporter. it has a 6 speed dsg gearbox, 5 cylinder with 2.5litres ( our engine with extra cyl?). he also spent money fitting lots of storage boxes on the back. total weigh in is 3 tonnes.

anyway after 2 years he has had to spend $3000 DSG repair and his truck was off the road for 1.5 months over the christmas break ( for a friggy not good). they said it was under warranty but he still had to pay 3k!

he loves the truck but plans to sell it shortly as he's too scared of owning it after its out of warranty.

so the question is do VW fit the same DSG to a transporter which is rated to 3 tonnes as our passats, or is it upgraded?

baron
17-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Any more tips, advice and pointers on what to do next? I'm tempted to ring around some of the other Melbourne VW dealers (Burwin, Essendon, etc), and see what they say.

Gday.
Forget Essendon, I rang up the service department the other day wanting to find out some technical imformation and all I got was a female in the service department with a real attitude problem who could not be bothered helping one bit. I would hate to take a car there with a problem seeing they can't even answer a simple question over the phone. Cheers.

VW Convert
17-03-2009, 06:02 PM
i was in sydney last week and met up with a frig mechanic who has a transporter. it has a 6 speed dsg gearbox, 5 cylinder with 2.5litres ( our engine with extra cyl?). he also spent money fitting lots of storage boxes on the back. total weigh in is 3 tonnes.

anyway after 2 years he has had to spend $3000 DSG repair and his truck was off the road for 1.5 months over the christmas break ( for a friggy not good). they said it was under warranty but he still had to pay 3k!

he loves the truck but plans to sell it shortly as he's too scared of owning it after its out of warranty.

so the question is do VW fit the same DSG to a transporter which is rated to 3 tonnes as our passats, or is it upgraded?

I may stand corrected but as far as I know, the DSG is not fitted to Transporters. Certainly the current Transporter brochure list only a Tiptronic auto which as far as I know is a conventional auto not a DSG.

The next question is if it was under warranty why would he have to pay? One would think there is more to the story than we are being told.

Cheers

George

VW Convert
17-03-2009, 06:14 PM

I think it is time to sit down very calmly with the Service Manager (or Dealer Principal if necessary) and go through their actions to date. I would be making him aware that you know of other owners who have had the same problem and that theirs were fixed by replacing the mechatronics module. Be firm and tell him that you expect the issue to be resolved properly this time, that there will be no further opportunities do so and that if they can not resolve it this time then you will take the matter up with VWA directly.

Cheers

George

drbass
17-03-2009, 07:36 PM
baron,

Booked in my 125 TDI wagon for the 30k service at Essendon VW using their web email. Indicated that there are issues with the gearbox (pretty much what everyone else had reported). Received a call 10 mins later confirming the booking, explaining that they'll need the car for the day, offering a courtesy car.
OK, nothing technical as such but very professional and courteous.

Of course what will happen with sorting out the gearbox is a different matter.

Seeya,
Michael

richdave
17-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Right, how do I go about getting the documented process? Call VW direct?

You can try that but I think you need the dealer involved... if you take the service reports and the car to Berwin I reckon you have a better than even chance of them getting things sorted.. If you don't have service reports, they should be able to contact your dealer to get the info on what has been done if they cant see it via their computerised system

BTW I am in no way affiliated with Berwin. They have looked after me so far so I can recommend them.

passatpout
18-03-2009, 08:38 AM
You can try that but I think you need the dealer involved... if you take the service reports and the car to Berwin I reckon you have a better than even chance of them getting things sorted.. If you don't have service reports, they should be able to contact your dealer to get the info on what has been done if they cant see it via their computerised system

BTW I am in no way affiliated with Berwin. They have looked after me so far so I can recommend them.

I dropped the car back off at Werrribee today.. ran through a heap of things with them, gave them a complete description of what was going on.. and shock horror, their reply was "It's not the only car that does it, but it does seem like one of the worse ones, we've heard of more that we can do"...

They then dropped me to the station in another Passat they had, and it was a completely different car in behaviour, you couldn't tell it was the same gearbox (although it was a petrol, not diesel), dead smooth, etc, etc.

richdave
18-03-2009, 09:14 AM
"It's not the only car that does it, but it does seem like one of the worse ones, we've heard of more that we can do"...

Sounds like they are finally on the ball... Perhaps someone there reads this forum and got worried you may go to another dealer...:???:

passatpout
18-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Sounds like they are finally on the ball... Perhaps someone there reads this forum and got worried you may go to another dealer...:???:

They did make a comment about there being lots of info and discussion on the internet....

passatpout
18-03-2009, 02:50 PM
They've just called, with "good and bad news".. the good news is that the "machatronics (sic) module" will be replaced, the bad news is that it won't arrive until Friday. That's what the "factory" has advised them to do now.

I guess I'll know how it goes over the weekend, what with about 400km of planned driving around Melbourne.

Amazingly enough, they can give me a loaner on the day at this short notice (I'll take mine back for tonight and tomorrow, can't go for 4 days straight without wheels).

With luck, I'll be breaking out the bubbly about it on Friday night.

richdave
18-03-2009, 04:05 PM
They've just called, with "good and bad news".. the good news is that the "machatronics (sic) module" will be replaced, the bad news is that it won't arrive until Friday. That's what the "factory" has advised them to do now.

With luck, I'll be breaking out the bubbly about it on Friday night.

I was told the wait was 3-4 weeks! Due to Xmas etc i actually waited more than a month before I could get mine done.

Glad they are doing what is needed... finally

Caddyman
18-03-2009, 04:35 PM
the wagon you were taken to the station in was probably a 2.0 turbo petrol, they do not have the DSG, just a regular 6 speed auto. that would explain the "different" feel to the car.

Matthew

passatpout
18-03-2009, 09:12 PM
the wagon you were taken to the station in was probably a 2.0 turbo petrol, they do not have the DSG, just a regular 6 speed auto. that would explain the "different" feel to the car.

Matthew

It wasn't a wagon they dropped me off in, it was a sedan. Could have been a petrol - it didn't sound like a diesel but I wasn't really paying attention to the noise. Plus the gearbox lever had DSG stamped on it...

passatpout
20-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Now I'm annoyed... I had a call from them, somehow they had the wrong part (or not the complete set, or something silly).. so it hasn't been fixed, and now has to go back on Monday for the final deal. I'd keep their car for the weekend, but I need to do a fair bit of getting around this weekend and would prefer to risk my insurance excess, not theirs..

passatpout
24-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Back to the dealer yesterday, and collected last night. Mechatronics module replaced (although they were all closed when I picked it up, so didn't see the work form).

Ironically, took it for 2 drives last night, and only needed to stop about 3 or 4 times, but seems to be much better now. Will see how it goes over the next week or so, with a bit of boat towing in there.

richdave
24-03-2009, 03:54 PM
hey great news. I have had no issues since my car had its mechatronic module replaced so hopefully you will also have the same result

passatpout
25-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Ahh, relief at last.. not only did I drive it for about 40km this morning and it was as smooth as all the way, from every start, and when reversing, but my wife took it for a couple of drives yesterday and said it's much better as well..

It also seems to be much better at being in the right gear at the right time (eg when slowing for a roundabout)... bliss..

nting
25-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Excellent news passatpout. I have been tracking your progress with interest, more from a customer service point of view. I am glad your problem has been fixed, my biggest fear with going with the VW was quality and reliability as I have heard of some issues. Also heard of some raving reviews so it's still a bit hit and miss. I really hope I get a trouble free Passat.

passatpout
25-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Excellent news passatpout. I have been tracking your progress with interest, more from a customer service point of view. I am glad your problem has been fixed, my biggest fear with going with the VW was quality and reliability as I have heard of some issues. Also heard of some raving reviews so it's still a bit hit and miss. I really hope I get a trouble free Passat.

Well, put it this way - I'm going to get copies of all the work orders, and fire back into them, and come the next service (in 7,000km, so about 3 months at current progress), I'm going to another dealer. Their loss - my car will probably be replaced at the end of its lease, and I'm also in the market for an Eos.. so there's 2 sales they'll miss, plus the servicing etc in the meantime.

I'm more than happy with the car, just annoyed with the little upsets I've had with it and the apathetic dealer response - it took 7 or 8 trips back before the gearbox was fixed, with them telling me on the first 5 that everything was OK and nothing more could be done.

Mind you, the VW dealership I dealt with in London was hopeless - they took 5 days to fix a broken bonnet catch on a Golf, didn't return calls, and didn't let me know it was fixed until I'd had enough and went to the dealership to find out what was going on. I was then told that it was fixed, but would take about 20 minutes to get ready for me - no prizes for guessing what the mechanic was busy working on... another woman there commented they'd always been useless.. it didn't help that I'd been assaulted on the way there, whilst walking down a street off the Elephant and Castle roundabout..

R36 Dreamer
16-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Just an update on my DSG Issue

Car went in for service, they confirmed the fault.

Sent data to VW, who said software update was required.

Car went in yesterday (15-4) and software updated. They needed the car for 2 days.

Dealer called this morning, advised they had uploaded the software, problem better but not fixed. Ordered a new Mechatronics unit for the gearbox. Should be ready by 17-4 (tomorrow).

I advised the dealer this seemed to be an issue with some passats. He said only 2 others in his experience had been subject to the fault.

So hopefully tomorrow (or possibly monday) I will have back the car. Not too bothered, as they gave me a loaner TDi Passat CC - with 30kms on it :eek::eek:

What a great car that is. Has adaptive cruise, ventilated seats, bluetooth etc. etc. and the 09 dash colours (my R36 is an 08). Bit of an old mans car compared to my lairy wagon, but beautiful nonetheless.

Anyway it looks as though my problems could soon be over. What a relief.

gead
17-04-2009, 04:07 PM
was in having my car tinted today, and there was lady going absolutely spare at the service guys complaining about the DSG, demanding money back, consumer affairs, the whole 9 yards...i felt like politely enquiring about the mechatronic unit :biggrin: oh and it was a TDI too...

gregozedobe
17-04-2009, 07:21 PM
...... there was lady going absolutely spare at the service guys complaining about the DSG, demanding money back, consumer affairs, the whole 9 yards...i felt like politely enquiring about the mechatronic unit :biggrin: oh and it was a TDI too...

I'm sure the service guys would have been real impressed with some random customer telling them all both what was wrong, AND how to fix it ! :brutal: Even if you were probably right :biggrin:

gead
17-04-2009, 07:27 PM
hahaha....i just stood by and watched....she was seriously losing her rag...me being a new customer, they were squirming having me hear her diatribe

R36 Dreamer
21-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Just an update on my DSG Issue

Car went in for service, they confirmed the fault.

Sent data to VW, who said software update was required.

Car went in yesterday (15-4) and software updated. They needed the car for 2 days.

Dealer called this morning, advised they had uploaded the software, problem better but not fixed. Ordered a new Mechatronics unit for the gearbox. Should be ready by 17-4 (tomorrow).

I advised the dealer this seemed to be an issue with some passats. He said only 2 others in his experience had been subject to the fault.

So hopefully tomorrow (or possibly monday) I will have back the car. Not too bothered, as they gave me a loaner TDi Passat CC - with 30kms on it :eek::eek:

What a great car that is. Has adaptive cruise, ventilated seats, bluetooth etc. etc. and the 09 dash colours (my R36 is an 08). Bit of an old mans car compared to my lairy wagon, but beautiful nonetheless.

Anyway it looks as though my problems could soon be over. What a relief.

Got the car back yesterday - absolutely perfect. Cannot believe I put up with the jerking for so long - simple being lazy and waiting for a service to be due.

Anyone with DSG Problems, get the car in and fixed - makes the world of difference.

Looking forward to the drive sydney to kingscliffe in 9 days time!!

PhilH
27-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Could someone help me with the symptoms. Mine is a little cumbersome at slow speed, e.g. parking, driveway work etc. But this only occurs when starting from standing still, changing into reverse etc. Once the car is moving, it is fine and particularly smooth under decent acceleration. I have learn't to give the gearbox a few seconds to engage the gear and be delicate for that very initial moving off the mark. I recently drove a 2.0TDI Jetta with the 6DSG and it was smooth off the mark no matter what I did to it.

I don't have access to another R36 to compare it to.

I recently asked the dealer to check it out, and they came back and said it was fine.

Does it sound like I have the problem ?

passatpout
27-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Could someone help me with the symptoms. Mine is a little cumbersome at slow speed, e.g. parking, driveway work etc. But this only occurs when starting from standing still, changing into reverse etc. Once the car is moving, it is fine and particularly smooth under decent acceleration. I have learn't to give the gearbox a few seconds to engage the gear and be delicate for that very initial moving off the mark. I recently drove a 2.0TDI Jetta with the 6DSG and it was smooth off the mark no matter what I did to it.

I recently asked the dealer to check it out, and they came back and said it was fine.

That's just about word-for-word the same as what mine was. What's it like on a hill start?

Try driving it with a pregnant wife in the passenger's seat - you'll know pretty quick if it's not right.

Good luck getting it sorted quickly. Be firm, and insistent, and if the dealer says there's nothing more that can be done, just let them know you've done a bit of research...

R36 Dreamer
28-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Same problem I had

PhilH
28-04-2009, 09:27 PM
That's just about word-for-word the same as what mine was. What's it like on a hill start?

Actually pretty good on a hill start.

Try driving it with a pregnant wife in the passenger's seat - you'll know pretty quick if it's not right.

Perhaps a slightly extreme measure to take to adequately test the DSG - but needs must I guess :)

I'll suggest it and see what reaction I get :brutal:

passatpout
29-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Actually pretty good on a hill start.

Mine was fairly savage on a hill start - bunny hopping and jerking like crazy. More hills around NZ than where I am too, so you'd notice PDQ.

Perhaps a slightly extreme measure to take to adequately test the DSG - but needs must I guess :)

I'll suggest it and see what reaction I get :brutal:

Good luck.. as it happened, we had the car for 2 months before she became pregnant.. and while we'd both complained about jerkiness beforehand, once she was past about 2 months she really noticed it..

85turbo
02-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Can anyone with a high km DSG comment on their experience with their drivetrain? Might be interesting to see who has the highest km DSG in the land!

i have a 05 Golf TDI (1.9) with the DSG, and at 117000km, its still smooth as butter. long term reliability seems not to be an issue.

Jason.