PDA

View Full Version : TDI Rattle Under Load

mr_walker
11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Anybody else get a quiet flutter/rattle in their TDI when it's revving low and under load? It's been driving me nuts, and because I've been straining to hear it for a while now, my ear is tuned in and it seems to be as loud as hell.

I found a post here (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia-ii/metalic-rattle-3000rpm-1-9tdi/99738/)that seems to describe my Jetta's symptoms. They say it's a heat shield, so I might get my head in there this weekend and see what I can find.

I took it for a drive with the workshop foreman from the dealer, and he had trouble hearing it. He pretty much told me that if I book it in, then there's not much they could do anyway (without a definite fault).

Spoddy
11-06-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=170663#post170663

"Clicking Noise"

Something similar?

Hopefully getting to the servicing dealer next saturday (their invite to have a look as I sent them a PM :))

mikinoz
11-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I have noticed that I get some strange sounds, clicking knocking and grinding, at stopped and slow speeds.

I sourced it to the climate control - as soon as it is off these sounds go away - so it must be expanding/compressing gas?

Not your problem - but sharing anyway

warb
11-06-2008, 11:15 PM
yeah, i dont push under 2000rpm, just not worth it, sounds like you need to drop a gear, should be easy with six of them ;). i got me 30k service this week, and not a prob yet (and i thrash the ringer off the ol' TDI) .. however i do use a little oil between service ;)

Preen59
11-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Sounds like you're labouring the snot out of it...

Rev the bloody thing. Contrary to what some people think, labouring an engine is FAR worse than revving it high. Keep thing thing up in the revs and on boost, much better for everything. Between 2 and 3.5 thou is the go i think.

mr_walker
12-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys - it's the DSG, which I don't have much control over when in auto mode. It seems to shift up pretty early, and when cruising at 80 it will shift to 6th. This is where I first noticed the noise: doing between 70-80k's, DSG shifts to 6th, revs drop to about 1200. If I knock it back a gear in manual mode and increase the revs, it's all good.

I know the DSG is meant to "learn" your driving habits, but mine doesn't seem to want to budge on this. If you continually knock it into tiptronic mode when it's doing something you don't like, does that "train" it?

Greg Roles
12-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Ask the dealer. I would also assume a battery disconnect for a hour or so would reset it??

Anyone???

Logzy
12-06-2008, 10:46 AM
There is a heat shield that sits on the exhaust side of the turbo.
Its a sheet metal type sheild and i have noticed on mine that its loose and rattles.
Cant say ive heard it though.

Preen59
19-06-2008, 09:52 PM
I was thinking, its probably just the induction noise because its labouring a little and its off boost. My caddy makes the same sound you described off boost. All diesels do.

phaeton
20-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Does the sound, sounds like it originates from the passenger side ?

motk
20-06-2008, 02:43 PM
yeah, i dont push under 2000rpm, just not worth it, sounds like you need to drop a gear, should be easy with six of them ;). i got me 30k service this week, and not a prob yet (and i thrash the ringer off the ol' TDI) .. however i do use a little oil between service ;)

The 2.0 TDI engine has max torque at 1750 RPM, so I don't think that that should trouble it too much - haven't noticed any unusual or obvious symptoms of labouring in ours. DSG is smart enough to knock it down a gear when needed, it seems.

cetane
21-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't want to introduce a new variable, guys... and my knowledge of PD computer-controlled engines is scant...but if this were an IDI motor I would suspect a dodgy injector. It's worth investigating anyway.

Spoddy
21-06-2008, 06:03 PM
It could also be so simple...

The dealer had a look at my clicking (rattle) noise today and it would appear that the under body shields are a good spot for little stones/gravel to accumulate. It was them rattling around that was the creating the noise...

We have a 60m gravel driveway:driver: