PDA

View Full Version : Check this out - BBS alloy + pothole @ 80kph

PeterW*
10-06-2008, 08:07 PM
See photos of the the smashed front drivers side VW BBS alloy. My wife was heading in to Newcastle last week and hit a pothole at Thornton. The result is NASTY!

For all you guys that damage your wheels on an RTA road - send details of the damage and forward copies of tax invoices to public_liability@rta.nsw.gov.au
I will let you know if my claim gets paid. Total was $535.00 for the wheel and $170 for the tyre.2190

Soundofav6
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Gee.. thats some nasty damage right there.

Glad to see RTA takes responsibility for poor road conditions.

The_Hawk
10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Thats pretty amazing damage. Wouldn't have thought a wheel would break up like that, must have been one hell of a pothole.

zz2
10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
holy crap!! :o

Jarred
10-06-2008, 11:28 PM
That must have been one mutha of a pot hole. that sure did rip the wheel apart! :o

hope RTA picks up the bill

Golf Houso
10-06-2008, 11:42 PM
:o

What was the damage to the car, something must have went for sure...

velly_16v_cab
11-06-2008, 07:36 AM
thats shocking!!!!!! you let your wife drive the car j:

hope your claim goes well

KI11Z
11-06-2008, 08:43 AM
gives a whole new meaning to the term "split rim"! gawd damb . . . :(

evorobin
11-06-2008, 09:08 AM
BBS went out of business awhile back mainly due to the cost of raw top grade ally. This proves they have cut costs and margins are where they should be....

Lance B
11-06-2008, 11:41 AM
See photos of the the smashed front drivers side VW BBS alloy. My wife was heading in to Newcastle last week and hit a pothole at Thornton. The result is NASTY!

For all you guys that damage your wheels on an RTA road - send details of the damage and forward copies of tax invoices to public_liability@rta.nsw.gov.au
I will let you know if my claim gets paid. Total was $535.00 for the wheel and $170 for the tyre.2190

That is what I call *SEVERE* damage!!

Peter, were you the one that contacted Ray Hadley on 2GB about this?

PeterW*
11-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Nasty isn't it?? I hope I get some $$$ back from the RTA.

Luckily enough there was no other damage other than superficial scratches to the brake calliper (according to Hunter VW)

Testimony to "Cherman engineering", YA?

No, Lance it wasn't me on 2GB - what was the go there??

Lance B
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Nasty isn't it?? I hope I get some $$$ back from the RTA.

Luckily enough there was no other damage other than superficial scratches to the brake calliper (according to Hunter VW)

Testimony to "Cherman engineering", YA?

No, Lance it wasn't me on 2GB - what was the go there??

Somebody rang up Ray Hadley on 2GB talking about a number of vehciles that were damaged due to a pot hole up that way, so that's why I thought it may have been you. One car had a damage bill of $16,000 - I think it was around this figure. It may have been more or less, but I know it was a huge amount that the RTA had to cough up for.

rark
11-06-2008, 07:54 PM
If the rims like that, what happened to the tyre?

PeterW*
13-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Surprisingly enough the only damage to the tyre was sustained when she drove the car around 100 metres to a safe place with no air in it - the sidewall looked damaged externally, but not internally.

With all this drama I was eyeing a nice set of 19's rather than replace 1 rim and tyre for around $800...but the financial controller told me to pull me head in...:(

origin
16-06-2008, 01:32 PM
The same situation here....But no reply from that email so far..

I was driving at M2 on my way to visit my client.. Wollogong council...

It was brick in the middle of the freeway... It took 2 of my wheels..front nad back on left hand side...:eek:

I end up claiming through my insurance...I paid access fee...:duh:

Flaps
16-06-2008, 02:31 PM
The same situation here....But no reply from that email so far..

I was driving at M2 on my way to visit my client.. Wollogong council...

It was brick in the middle of the freeway... It took 2 of my wheels..front nad back on left hand side...:eek:

I end up claiming through my insurance...I paid access fee...:duh:

AFAIK the M2 is privately owned so it's not the RTA's problem. You might want to call them?http://www.hillsmotorway.com.au/transurban_online/ne5nav_hills.nsf/PageLayouts/m2~Resolving?open

The good thing about the M2 is that they have cars/utes on patrol to solve any problems as they arise.