PDA

View Full Version : Our "new" Ibiza GTi... what do I need to know?

Rick_Eberle
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi there,

My wife and I just recently picked up a '96 Ibiza GTi, with 210,000 km's.

It's in reasonable shape, though the paint is faded in places, and the clear coat on the roof is peeling off a little. We're loving it so far...

I've always done my own maintainance on my air cooled cars, but this whole H2O thing has me a little baffled.

So what do I need to know about?

Are there any jobs that must be done NOW on a car with unknown history?

What's the recommended oil?

Trans oil?

Oil and air filter numbers?

Anything else???

Thanks!

Golf Loon
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Nice buy mate, thats the Best SEAT to buy IMO.

They are bulletproof.

I`d probably change the oil and filter, Castrol Magnatec I`d choose and a German Filter, not a repco one.

VMX80 or similar Transmission Oil, but you need a special tool for the drainplug on the box.

Coil will break at somepoint and if it is hard to start and overfuelling when cold, the temp sensor.

If you want a new handbrake cover or gear gaiter hit me up at work ;)

Thats it, go out and enjoy it.

And for gods sake rev it, people baby em too much and the fun starts over 5000rpm!

Welcome to the madhouse. :D

Cupra
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
welcome to the seat club, I wish I had that glove box, but I think my wife prefers looking at the airbag logo!

Phil

hugh.venables
11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Rick, If you really don't know the history and there's no sticker on the cover, it might be a good idea to change the timing belt too. I don't know if yours has an interference motor or not. The 1.8 8V in my daughter's Cordoba is apparently non interference, but that didn't stop the guys who were servicing it for the previous owner doing a $3000 job on it when the belt broke!
Hugh.

Golf Loon
11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah at the very least check that the belt is in good shape. If there is no history, do it sooner. I shoiuld have put that in my list, nice one Hugh.

Also the 1.8 Cordy is a non interference motor and that $3000 job sounds like a scam to me. The 2L is an interference motor and you will bend lots of valves if the belt snaps. Just check it for peace of mind.

Rick_Eberle
12-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Good to know... I'll put the belt at the top of the list!

Thanks!

FarQ
12-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Nice buy mate, thats the Best SEAT to buy IMO.

They are bulletproof.

LOL Loon,

not that bulletproof if the previous owner did not look after it (re my car....)

BTW thx for organising that fuel rail so quickly for James...hopefully i'll get my car back this week...its been about 4-5 weeks in the shop now... :(