PDA

View Full Version : where to buy K&N

jayjay
08-06-2008, 12:35 AM
hey guys, i really wanna get a panel filter cause CAI is impossible with k-jet... so does any one know where i'd be able to procure a k&n filter in sydney/ who/where stocks them?

DaveMack
08-06-2008, 12:45 AM
PM DodgeGTI ... he has a mate in Melbourne who does a good deal. :)

Dave

deemoE36
08-06-2008, 01:43 AM
REVOLUTION RACEGEAR @ Auburn

good prices, good gear

ph: 9648 4044

rayray086
08-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Autobarn stocks K&N too. Alternatively, I can get my mate to bring one in for you - he's a distributor for K&N stuff and got mine for me for a bit less than $100 (his business is Launch Performance & Audio (http://launchperformance.com.au/documents/home.html)). Let me know if you want me to ask him.

goodfella
08-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Check out TCCA in artarmon, not far from you, Jayjay.

I called in last week and Milan was more than happy to talk realistic options.... not just sell parts for the sake of it.

The_Hawk
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Autobarn stocks K&N too.

My local Autobarn has always been really good on pricing, but it helps when your in there every weekend :)

Sadly they have moved in with another store in Artarmon or something while their new store is built which means I have to deal with some of the less knowledgeable people at other stores.

Golf Houso
08-06-2008, 12:16 PM
You can get BA XR6 and Skyline K&N pod filters to fit with an adapter plate, well you'll probably need an adapter plate regardless I even needed to red rill the closest plate they had which was for a 180SX. Your going to have a problem mounting it, making a bracket is fine, but making a heat shield is better. I'm running an RB26 pod apparently, well... 1/2 of an RB26...

Those filters are around $75 rrp from SuperCheap auto, with a discount such as the free2go or sale your looking at $60.50 which is what I got :D. Add another $15 for sheet metal and another $5 for a meter of sealing and voila' you got yourself a 95% insulated pod ... All for under $90 :)

The effort is in the heat shield, mine still needs the lid and respray, and sealing and a proper heat temp sensor mount. And I started this 4 weeks ago :rolleyes: I'll post picks up when I finish.

Or you could always go the proper filter such as BMC or as Mr. Hawk did, a DRIFT carbon pod with ducting for a measly $160.

jayjay
08-06-2008, 06:12 PM
thanks for replies.. my local autobarn closed down a few years ago and the closest is... i actually thought they moved out of nsw...? :? it's quite hard to adapt pod/bmc to k-jet cause.. well i'm not going to explain. k-jet's a bitch. hahaha. i never even knew about tcca.. i'll find out about them.

mm time to get back under my car.. when it's not jacked up, it's sooooooo low.

JET-28L
08-06-2008, 06:20 PM
just go to super cheap auto and get yourself an air hog filter there made by FRAM i got one in my vr6 so much beter then k&N well thats my opinion

Peter Jones
08-06-2008, 07:02 PM
hey guys, i really wanna get a panel filter cause CAI is impossible with k-jet...

No it's Not!

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=4937

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

You just need a Volvo air box the replace the stock aircleaner and a trip to Bunnings!

Pete

DubSteve
08-06-2008, 07:35 PM
PM DodgeGTI ... he has a mate in Melbourne who does a good deal. :)

Dave

Its for a mk2 not a Polo.

MattyT
08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
BMC ftw. Far superior and used by most F1 teams (the ones that matter at least)! :D

Golf Houso
09-06-2008, 01:09 AM
BMC ftw. Far superior and used by most F1 teams (the ones that matter at least)! :D

We do have a budget to consider though... Sure BMC are great... just not so sure whether they're 6 times greater than a K&N or FRAM

DaveMack
09-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Its for a mk2 not a Polo.

Don't K&N make air cleaners for MK2s? :???: Who knew?

Dave

JET-28L
09-06-2008, 01:14 AM
buy a air hog filter from FRAM there like 40 bucks now at super cheap (cause of there sale) whats the worst that could happen and i bought a extinguisher for twenty buck its CAMS approved as well i got pics for use

Spyda
09-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Ive got one of thouse volvo "adapters" peter was talkin bout if you want it.

Have you tryed ebay? I think it was $80 shipped for a mk1 panel, and about $70 for a pod filter, if not cheaper with the exchange rate now.

jayjay
09-06-2008, 02:11 AM
hmm.. that volvo airbox seems like an idea.. it's a little harder with regard to space in the mk2s cause the inlet manifold goes to the opposite side of the engine bay as compared with the mk1s. (no nice big hole next to gearbox) also, my airbox has been swiss cheesed (sik bro) so a big panel filter should do it.

The_Hawk
09-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Or you could always go the proper filter such as BMC or as Mr. Hawk did, a DRIFT carbon pod with ducting for a measly $160.

The DRiFT is excellent value, easy to install and has pretty much all the benefits of the more expensive options. Considering a K&N is usually round $100, but the time you either modify your current air box or get a replacement your getting close to the $160 I paid for the DRiFT which is a dead simple CAI.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=11822

jayjay
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
arrghh! i'll have to get a volvo airbox if i want any kind of induction like that. and my airbox is so pretty with all its holes at the moment already! hehe. and then by the time i attach CAI piping to the volvo airbox, the airbox will be the limiting factor in air flow, and then i'll have to drill it, and it'll be exactly the same as what i have now! <sigh>

k-jet has a fuel distributor at the non manifold end of the intake, so you can only start plumbing from there. i think panel is all i can afford/be bothered to find out about to do.

ps. i would actually like CAI or pod like filter etc, but but.. but.