PDA

View Full Version : You Guys are going to hate me..

smithy010
07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
That's right, i don't really know what posessed me today..

I bought a car today.. The only problem is that it doesn't have a vw badge up front.

It's a 1997 Peugeot 206 TDI.

I think it will definitely be a trade up from the mk1. It cost me $2700, and it looks ok for a cheap car. It's got 315000km on the clock.. long in the tooth, but it was a security vehicle in dubbo, so it means that it was probably warm most of its time..

It's got a bullbar and towbar, and it looks ok, apart from a few dings and scratches..

But i guess because it's not a VAG, you guys couldn't give a rats ring..

It's still a diesel though! and i wouldn't be surprised if it was quite similar to the IZ engine.

So, anyone wanna buy the mk1?

Jarred
07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Nice one. Don't worry not all of us here are one eye VW peoples.

I'd buy you mk 1, but I've only got like 50 bucks on me.. so.. maybe not then?

Good luck with it all.

smithy010
07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
It's actually a 306..

Jarred
07-06-2008, 08:33 PM
glad to see you actuallly know what you are buying.... :rolleyes: hahhahaj:

gregozedobe
07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey, as long as you like it and are happy with it I don't really care what vehicle you buy :) Don't know whether there is 306 diesel forum or not though - maybe you'll have start one ?

smithy010
07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
If there is a pug forum, i'm confident it won't be as good as this one.
;)

Soundofav6
07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
We are not going to hate you. At least its still european right...don;t be shy to take the pug to our gtgs. Would love to see a 306 disel. My best friend drives a pug too, I occasionally check out the aussiefrog forum.

All the best with it. :)

Mrk_Mickey
07-06-2008, 11:58 PM
My mate's got an awesome ratty little Peugeot 205 GTI and it goes hard! Great little rally car:)

The_Hawk
08-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Remeber its very much like a VW with parts that commonly break and cost a fortune to replace. ;)

Debadge it and put a VWWatercooled sticker in the window and see how many people ask....!? j:

gldgti
08-06-2008, 10:46 AM
ahh, the peugeot.

i know a bloke with one of those, btw in pug talk its not TDI, its HDI.

The pug engine is very different from the vw one - VERY! and you'll find that parts will carry a hefty premium compared with vw parts. also, pugs are not the easiest to work on.

having said that, they are a great car, handle and go very well and get very good mileage... very comfortable and safe too.

i hope it works out well for you mate - just like any turbo diesel, give it the right oil often, and keep all the filters clean, and you shouldnt have any worries.

good luck!

smithy010
08-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Actually, the HDI engines came out in 2001 (i believe).. so mine's a TDI..

I figured the pugs would be a bit more expensive to fix, but at the price, i reckon it will be ok.

gldgti
08-06-2008, 12:54 PM
ahhh, there ya go. well then, i cant vouch for the milage or anything then, hahaha!

what injector pump does it use then? still VE?

oh yeah - well done! for $2700 bucks you cant beat than really.... want to buy my intercooler? hehehhe!

smithy010
08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
It's already got one :)

It looks really good under the bonnet actually. I will have to do some things to free up the airflow both to the intercooler and the engine.. I think the intercooler will be the last thing to break on this beast! When you get your grille mounted cooler, if you're giving that one away, i'll think about taking it off your hands..

Yeah, i thought $2700 was a good price..

I'm going to get banned if i'm not careful... Talking about pugs.

cetane
09-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Goodonya, Smithy! Nothing wrong with Pugs (I've had a number of them including 2 505 SDRTs). Parts aren't that expensive second hand if you join Aussiefrogs....And the members are very helpful and committed.
Basically, Pug diesels have little in common with VW diesels (except the Pug 505 fuel cap is the same as the oil filler cap of the VW 1.5D!) Remember also that Pug 1.9 diesels are the same as Citroen and Renault. ebay UK is a good source of parts.

Don't leave us as you've been here since the start.

smithy010
09-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Don't worry about that. I won't be leaving.

There are many things that this forum has over Aussiefrogs: Especially the keen and extremely knowledgable diesel mob!

If i had the space and time, i'd be keeping the mk1. And who knows, i will probably end up with a dub once more.
I'll find out exactly what bits are the same on the pug. I suspect probably the injector pump is the same at least, and i'll be sure to head back here for advice on that.

Cheers for your support cetane!

Wish i bought a golf now! But who would pass up a $2700 diesel!

evorobin
09-06-2008, 10:40 AM
My dad has a 306TDI too. My mum just bought a new C3 and I'm also a member of aussie frogs as is Sir Brackie of tasmaniaville ;)

http://www.alpinerenaultrestoration.co.uk/pics/5gordini3.jpg

I narrowly missed buy ing one of these as my first car after valves went south a week before I got it. Great to drive proper 80's turbo lag :cool:

smithy010
09-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Well it will certainly be great to see brackie on either here or Aussie Frogs. He's been a little quiet of late.

smithy010
11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Well, i picked it up yesterday.

First thing i did was installed my old stereo in it.. Gotta have tunes.

Then i changed the battery to one with more CCA. Starts a lot better now. Will have to extend the battery tray so i can fit my 560 CCA battery in it.

The engine sounds and pulls good. There is a bit more turbo noise than i'd like.. Not sure it's normal because i've never driven a small turbo vehicle (only 10l truck engines).

cetane
11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Being an experienced diesel driver, you'll get the best out of her, mate ;). Nothing you can do about turbo lag from a standstill, however once going if you keep the turbo on boost then she'll fly. If my memory serves me right, it's about 1900rpm to 2800rpm for the French 1.9 turbo diesels (but my memory is suffering from Old Timers' Disease :()
My LR Discovery 300Tdi runs out of puff at 3000rpm but you have to get her there before you slot into the next gear up in order to enter the torque band for the next gear. They're all slightly different. The VW PD TDI works best (from my experience) between 1800rpm and 2700rpm but a little extra is no concern. Mine's only done 30,000km and isn't run in yet so it doesn't spin as freely at high revs.

Golf Loon
11-06-2008, 06:42 PM
That sounds like a bargain mate. Good Work. I reckon the french engines are good. The rest of the car will be quirky and odd to work on, but you are resourceful and can tinker. They only really have a bad name in Oz, because people dont understand em. Not as good as german engineering IMO, but better than local offerings ;)

Aaah the love in this Diesel Forum, you guys! Makes me wanna go and join Aussie Frogs.:D

smithy010
12-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

A cheap car always comes with its problems. Not major ones, and i'm ironing them out one by one. Not quite used to such a crowded engine bay yet..

smithy010
19-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Well, i've been doing some ironing out on the pug.. First i bled the cooling system, which stopped it from pressurising (i was scared before that, could've easily been a head gasket)..

Following that, i removed the door cards and started diagnosing the problem with the LHS Electric window and mirror. Turns out i have traced it to a broken wire where it goes from the body to the drivers side door (wires must've fatigued).

FYI, the engine in this vehicle is an indirect injected intercooled turbo diesel engine. Too bad it doesn't have the bosch VE pump.. Instead, it's got a lucas. Anyone know about the lucas pump as far as tuning goes?

I like the fact that it's got less electronic bits than the TDI.. There's enough crap on it already let alone having electronics on the engine as well..

Next Job: PUll the glowplugs and test them, so i can iron out a little Cold starting problem.. At the moment it cranks for about 5 seconds after a 15 second glow, then it will fire, and run on 2 cylinders, then about 3 seconds later it will fire on all 4. If it's not the plugs, then it's probably compression.. :(

All in all, though, for a car with so many k's, i reckon it's doing pretty well, and it's a pleasure to drive. It's great to give it a little squirt now and then on the way to work. The real power band (as Aydan said, with the IDI it is a bit higher) is about 2500 to 3500..

Please tell me if i should shut up about non VAG cars.. ok?

cetane
19-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey, Smithy... Don't worry. It's great that you haven't forgotten us!

My guess is that the starting problem is glow plugs. A quick way of testing them in situ is with a multimeter or test lamp. Take off the bus bar and you should have virtually no resistance through the glow plug. Test them all and suspect the ones with high resistance.... or if they're open circuit chuck 'em away. ebay UK is good source of replacements.

There's nothing wrong with Lucas ips. Lucas and CAV used to jointly manufacture them. My 1964 Inter tractor has a Lucas ip and it's done 12,000hrs without a problem. It doesn't evern leak when using ULSD.

gldgti
19-06-2008, 10:12 PM
some of the early 1.5's had CAV pumps...

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think they might even have similar external mounting points? not sure about that one.

IDI is good for you, it means your 100% bio compatible still, and no electronics to annoy you in fault diagnosis should you get into tgrouble.

well, theres just a few things for you to do then - read up on how strong the pug diesels are, and get the boost and fuelling sorted! heheheheee. i know im a sick puppy.

anyway, like has been mentioned, definateyl just start with your glowplugs - very likely. after that the injection timing might be worth checking - not enough advance really hurts the cold starting.

good luck

Volvo Driver
23-06-2008, 09:47 PM
There's a bloke at trade school who owns a 01 306 HDI, and we gets better economy then Dad's Mk3 does, which i a bit dismal lately IMO, only 500km's or so out of 30 litres.

But our 307 has that sort of high RPM powerband compared to the TDi in the Golf.

smithy010
25-06-2008, 08:15 AM
I've been reading a little bit about tuning the pug turbo diesel engine.

There are rumours (unconfirmed as yet), that the XUD9TE engine was detuned in the factory so that it didn't beat the ass off the sports model that was out in those days.. So apparently it's a piece of piss to up the fuelling and adjust the wastegate up to 19psi with no problems. The only little thing that pisses me off is that you have to drain the IP every time you want to adjust the smoke screw because it is actually INSIDE the lucas pump, which is a real pita. No "dynamic" tuning for this pump!

Anyway, before i do any tuning, i want to make extra sure that i've got no problems. I'm thinking a compression and leakdown test will be the order of the day, followed closely by an injector test.

gldgti
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
highly likely that your pug has been factory detuned - see VW/audi diesels from 1985-onwards :-) and their "rpm governors" (read: "fun governors").

get that thing hauling mate!