PDA

View Full Version : Custom Headlining + interior trim

Golf Houso
05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Has anyone attempted anything like whats on this thread?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3321799&page=2

Either to just the headliner or other sections of the interior. I'm aware of people getting their liners re trimmed with similar to OEM or black fabric but anything this adventurous?

Jarred
05-06-2008, 12:00 PM
You'd have to be pretty game to do that I reckon. it's alot of T&E to do all that and then six months later grow up and decide that a bright re or polka dot or army headliner was a pretty bad idea.

Some cool ones in that thread though. Donno if I'd have the nads to do something that crazy - Unless I was building a rat.... :rolleyes:

rayray086
05-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I've got plaid material bought already. Navy blue background to match the interior with white, yellow and black stripes. Not adventurous but different to OEM I suppose.

The_Hawk
05-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm one of the people that re made their own head lining in a OEMish style:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=11665

It's not all that hard (or expensive) to do, so even if you hated it in 6 months time it would only take a day to replace with something different.

Golf Houso
05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Hmnn... Yes I thought about if I would change my mind about it the design after a few months, just means I have to spend some more time selecting the right fabric. OR, better yet a combination which share similarities, which would maintain its appeal for longer.

My headliner is rubbish so it has to go out, I just have to conceptualize the final look and whether thats just a headliner or a whole new interior :rolleyes:

Good write ups there fellas, do you have a picture of your fabric Ray?

Jarred
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Just re-read those "tutes" and I'm ready to have a crack at it! Not that I have a sagging headliner, but even the mk 1 headliner is completely different!

I reckon pop down to a local spotlight (etc) and have a look around there. I reckon you could pop just about any material up there, and you could probably do suede and make it pimp! but yea.

Golf Houso
05-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Just re-read those "tutes" and I'm ready to have a crack at it! Not that I have a sagging headliner, but even the mk 1 headliner is completely different!

I reckon pop down to a local spotlight (etc) and have a look around there. I reckon you could pop just about any material up there, and you could probably do suede and make it pimp! but yea.

Hahaha thats the spirit :D

EDIT: Ooops, I just realised, the fabric should be fire retardant just like seat covers and other types of re-upholstery.

rayray086
05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Good point Branko... didn't think about that :|

I do have a picture of it somewhere on my photobucket, but can't seem to find it... will take new pics soon.

I just recently dismantled one of my seats and dammit it'll be a bitch to reupholster it...

Jarred
05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I've tried to reunholster my back seat. it worked till i ran outta material and lost intrest in it... :rolleyes: hahahah

the mistake it made, was the replacment material wasn't thick enough i found, and when stretching over the seat, the seams have become stressed abit. the part i did proper came out alright though.

Just make sure you take accurate templates of the material, leaving enough from for overhang, to sew together, and yea, get something tough as the material. or maybe glue some calico ontot he back of the material you've got, if it seems a bit too "thin"

but yea, take your time, it's pretty easy to do, but pretty easy to get outta shape too!

madglf3
07-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I followed The_Hawk's advice and used polar fleece, and ditched the foam all together. Ill try and dig up a pic of the board before i put it back in.

Here:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/06/headliner-2.jpg

I thought it was different but not too different from the original colour. this way I wouldnt have to colour the board black.

I wouldnt want to do it again, as mine seemed really brittle and i was lucky i didnt snap bits of it.

pretty easy all up though.

Oh and I have another bragging right as well: VIP Club member of spotlight, the reason my girlfriend laughs at me j: