PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know who does good cages for mk1

16v_kid
31-05-2008, 10:28 PM
hey.
i am building a golf mk1 racing i need to get a cage in it but i dont really want to spend over 2000.
cheers

Preen59
31-05-2008, 10:56 PM
hey.
i am building a golf mk1 racing i need to get a cage in it but i dont really want to spend over 2000.
cheers

Full or half cage? I'm going to do a half cage myself for my mk1.

There's a number of companies that will build you a cage and when you get it, you cut it where you need to to put it in the car then re weld it. Bond roll bars will do that i know..

TassieGTi
01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Go the "BOND "one.
We have used 3 of theirs now in past projects.:)

Preen59
01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Go the "BOND "one.
We have used 3 of theirs now in past projects.:)

Do they do them for mk1's? What sort of money did it cost you for what sort of cage if you don't mind me asking?

Water Boy
01-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Mate where u located... Remeber if u are building the car up for race or rally use the cage must be Cams approved...

Check out www.cams.com.au for more info there is heaps of different deisgns... Got to take into accounts chrom or mild steel? What hoop and how many bars, where the X's are and what side intrusions bars...

It a lot of work to get right... Too many bars and it will way a tone not enough and a hit will be bad news...

Peter Jones
01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Try these guys, I had a harness bar done and their work was excellent.

http://www.browndavis.com.au/

Pete

gtimk5
02-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I got a Trik bolt in full cage years ago. Got mucked around a little bit but it fitted perfectly and the intrusion bars werent that hard to get over when getting in or out of my Mk1.
Cost was about $1600 and they are in Vic.
Good luck with it,
Andrew :)

Preen59
03-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I got a Trik bolt in full cage years ago. Got mucked around a little bit but it fitted perfectly and the intrusion bars werent that hard to get over when getting in or out of my Mk1.
Cost was about $1600 and they are in Vic.
Good luck with it,

For that kinda money it isn't worth doing it yourself.. How long ago did you get that done Andrew?

gtimk5
04-06-2008, 07:22 AM
That was about 6 years ago I think. What he does is source a model in Vic and builds the cage to suit that. Then he sent it over with the pipies a little bit longer so you trim them to the correct length. That way YOU become the manufacturer of the cage when it comes to getting it certified and registered with CAMS. Also, if by some chance that in competition you suffer a shunt, then you can unbolt it and fit it to your spare bodyshell!!!! I had 2 spares plus guards and doors ect all painted up ready in case. Came in handy after T boningt someone at Symmons. I competed in the MG club annual hillclimb 2 weeks later and finished on top.