PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Vision rims on V6 Passat Wagon

Lance B
30-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi guys,

As discussed in my other thread:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=16400
Here are the photos of the Jetta Vision 18"x8"rims on my Passat Wagon. Fitted with 235/40 95Y Khumo KU31 tyres. I'm now thinking of lowering it with H&R coils. They drop it about 30mm, but this maybe too much. Maybe a 20mm drop would be better:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/97833378-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/97833380-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/97833381-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/97833382-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/97833533-1.jpg

PeterW*
30-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I reckon that car would look good even with 12 slotters!:)

Seriously though really nice choice - you must be happy with it.

99gti
30-05-2008, 10:02 PM
30mm definetly if not a little more.

An important thing to remember, it's not dubbin unless it's scrubbin. j:

Car looks amazing by the way. Congrats!

Lance B
30-05-2008, 10:48 PM
I reckon that car would look good even with 12 slotters!:)

Seriously though really nice choice - you must be happy with it.

Thanks, Peter.

I agree the car would look good with the 12 slotters, but I just wanted something a little different. :)

Lance B
30-05-2008, 10:50 PM
30mm definetly if not a little more.

An important thing to remember, it's not dubbin unless it's scrubbin. j:

Car looks amazing by the way. Congrats!

Thanks, Neil.

I like the quote, "it's not dubbin unless it's scrubbin". :D

Anyway, I will see what the H&R guys have to offer on their lowering spring kit.

phaeton
30-05-2008, 10:57 PM
The Vision wheels work very well :D

Great combo Lance :cool: look forward to future mods :)

Lance B
30-05-2008, 11:01 PM
The Vision wheels work very well :D

Great combo Lance :cool: look forward to future mods :)

Thank you, Ben.

After looking at the R36, which is, as we know, lower than the 3.2 Passat, I think I may just have to lower it. :)

99gti
30-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Where are you getting the H&R's from. I believe Milan from TCCA is the only importer of them. I highly recomend them too - top work with no BS.

Lance B
31-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Where are you getting the H&R's from. I believe Milan from TCCA is the only importer of them. I highly recomend them too - top work with no BS.

That's where I'm getting them from. Spoke to Milan a number of times and at the VW Nationals. :)

3Putt
31-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Lance,

Be prepared for a hard ride. I got the 18" chicago's option (which included lowering i think) and the hard ride is getting annoying after 15mths of ownership.

I'm sure you have weighed this up already (the looks/ handling benifit vs firmer ride comfort/discomfort), but for me the increase in stiffness and hence loss of comfort seems a lot more than i counted on initially (after having it now for 1yr+).

You have 40series tyres too, mine are 45. So its all adding up if you lower IMHO.

Fairways and greens lads..

Preen59
31-05-2008, 11:00 AM
DUMP it.

2 inches.

Looks good though. :)

Lance B
31-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Lance,

Be prepared for a hard ride. I got the 18" chicago's option (which included lowering i think) and the hard ride is getting annoying after 15mths of ownership.

I'm sure you have weighed this up already (the looks/ handling benifit vs firmer ride comfort/discomfort), but for me the increase in stiffness and hence loss of comfort seems a lot more than i counted on initially (after having it now for 1yr+).

You have 40series tyres too, mine are 45. So its all adding up if you lower IMHO.

Fairways and greens lads..

3Putt,

Thank you for your tips.

When you order the Chicago rims as a factory fit, VW lowers the suspension by 15mm, according to the specs. I think you will also find that the tyres are 235/40 x 18 on your Chicagos according to the brochure and all other literature I have seen, not 235/45 x 18 as you have stated, unless of course you have changed the tyres since new.

Due to the fact that the car is standard with 235/45 x 17, I would expect that if it went to 18" rims option then the tyre aspect ratio would drop to 40 series to keep the same overall diameter/circumference and therefore not require a speedo correction. The maths says that a 235/45 x 17 is 235mm x 45% = 105.75mm x 2(for each side of the tyre on the rim) = 211.50mm. If you then add the rim diameter of 17" you get = 431.80mm(rim) + 211.50mm(tyre) = 643.30mm overall diameter for the 17" rim/tyre package. The 18's should then be 235/40 x 18 is 235mm x 40% = 94mm x 2(for each side of the rim) = 188mm. Add the rim diameter of 18" = 457.20mm(rim) + 188mm(tyre) = 645.20mm total diameter of the rim/tyre package. As you can see the difference in tyre/rim diameter between the 17" with 45% aspect ratio tyres and 18" with 40% aspect ratio tyres is negligible and would not impact on the speedo accuracy.

If you had 235/45 tyres on an 18" rim, then the result is 235 x 45% x 2 = 211.50mm + 457.20mm = 668.70mm which is a 25.40mm larger diameter than the 17"rim package and would mean a requirement of an adjustment to the speedo.

The one thing I am definitely concerned about is the harder suspension but I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad. The change from 235/45 x 17 to 235/40 x 18 has not made any difference to ride quality and I would have thought that a small drop of 15mm on the suspension would have been ok, but your experience with the factory fit suspension drop has me a little concerned.

If anyone has done the H&R suspension drop I would be very interested in their experience with this. A 30mm drop is rather a big drop and apart from the concern with a harsher ride, I am also a little concerned about speed humps and shopping malls etc. The factory drop of 15mm would be liveable, I do believe, but 30mm is a big drop! :?

Lance B
31-05-2008, 01:22 PM
DUMP it.

2 inches.

Looks good though. :)

Thank you for your nice comment.

2" inch drop?? Ouch, I think I just grazed my bum! ;)

3Putt
31-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Hey Lance,

Your the first person I've met in a while who actually understands what 'rolling diameter' means! I've had plenty of conversations with 18yr old tyre salesmen at Bob Jane and the like that have not gone very far!

You prob right on the 40series tyres, I'll have to check. But they are just the factory fit (Pirelli P-Zero's, nice :)) so, my bad.

I didn't think a change of 5% in tyre series made a significant difference to your speedo accuracy - thought it was negligible actually. Will have to check the math (whooppee!).

So, yes, the main point of my post was that the Passat is a firm ride with the 18's (it was described as firm in stock 17" form by some journo's when it first came out). Lets face it, the Passat is no Beamer. You gotta give up something for the VAST handling improvement you get over the B5. The thing you give up is ride comfort. Only the Bavarians get ride and handling!

With the 18's, my experience has been that all the criticisms of the B6's suspension setup have been amplified. You feel the bumps and ripples a lot more, the thing creaks, rattles and moans a lot more over the rough stuff, and its downright jarring over those potholes that appear out of nowhere after it rains in Sydney!

I must say that for me, it was worth it, because i like to throw mine around a fair bit (after school drop off and i'm flying solo!). I'm actually looking for a some cheap recaro's to stop me sliding around so much on the standard seat (its crap!). I would just caution you to think twice about it, because it is a BIG compromise in ride comfort from a car that is already maybe a little to firm for Aussy roads.

Lance B
31-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey Lance,

Your the first person I've met in a while who actually understands what 'rolling diameter' means! I've had plenty of conversations with 18yr old tyre salesmen at Bob Jane and the like that have not gone very far!

You prob right on the 40series tyres, I'll have to check. But they are just the factory fit (Pirelli P-Zero's, nice :)) so, my bad.

I didn't think a change of 5% in tyre series made a significant difference to your speedo accuracy - thought it was negligible actually. Will have to check the math (whooppee!).

So, yes, the main point of my post was that the Passat is a firm ride with the 18's (it was described as firm in stock 17" form by some journo's when it first came out). Lets face it, the Passat is no Beamer. You gotta give up something for the VAST handling improvement you get over the B5. The thing you give up is ride comfort. Only the Bavarians get ride and handling!

With the 18's, my experience has been that all the criticisms of the B6's suspension setup have been amplified. You feel the bumps and ripples a lot more, the thing creaks, rattles and moans a lot more over the rough stuff, and its downright jarring over those potholes that appear out of nowhere after it rains in Sydney!

I must say that for me, it was worth it, because i like to throw mine around a fair bit (after school drop off and i'm flying solo!). I'm actually looking for a some cheap recaro's to stop me sliding around so much on the standard seat (its crap!). I would just caution you to think twice about it, because it is a BIG compromise in ride comfort from a car that is already maybe a little to firm for Aussy roads.

Understand fully what you say about the ride/comfort compromise, although, I must say that I think the Passat ride is pretty good without the suspension drop. I think it would look great lowered 20mm, but like you say am I prepared for the rough ride? :???:

Recaros would be a good option to stop the sliding around in the seat. This is my only real criticism of the Passat and that is that the seats allow for too much lateral movement! :mad:

Steve
01-06-2008, 11:11 AM
The seats were the deal killer for us - even the seats in my Commodore are better, and the GTI seats leave the standard Passat seats for dead.

R36 seats, however, and completely awesome. Maybe you can source them from somewhere... no idea how though! Oemplus might be able to help...