PDA

View Full Version : Leather or cloth seats

baron
26-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Gday all.
Having decided on engine, colour and all options, there's only one thing I can't make my mind up on and that is the seats. I dont know whether to go for leather or cloth:???:. Ive never had leather in a car before and I would like to get your opinions on both. Eg: Good points and bad for both types of materials in black. Thanking you in advance. Cheers.:)

BL33SU
26-05-2008, 07:18 PM
its harder to get rid of those stains in d bak seat if they r cloth

Treza360
26-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I love the leather in my R. It would even better if my heated seats were working. :(
The only real downside to the leather is having to maintain. With cloth all you have to do really is give it a vacuum every so often and as long as you don't spill anything on it or stain it that's pretty much it. If you want your leather to last and keep looking like new, you will need to buy some products to keep it moist and supple so it won't crack.
But yeah I wouldn't trade it and probably won't buy a car without it again. :)

The_Hawk
26-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Leather. It's worth the work, every second of it.

WestOiler125
29-05-2008, 11:04 PM
The only real downside to the leather is having to maintain. With cloth all you have to do really is give it a vacuum every so often and as long as you don't spill anything on it or stain it that's pretty much it. If you want your leather to last and keep looking like new, you will need to buy some products to keep it moist and supple so it won't crack.
:)

Don't know if I agree, Leather would have to be the easiest seat material in a car to look after. After 5 years in my old Mazda 6, I only ever vacuumed and chamoied at every wash of the car...no more. I tried leather wipes once and they were a pain with bright spots, etc. So my tip, clean often with a chamois all leather areas and you won't go wrong.
However, these seats feel comfy and snug, but it worries how warm my back gets given it's winter. I'm worried that these seats will be heat traps in summer. But, after being spoilt with the previous car, leather was the 1st option on my list! :)

Mischa
29-05-2008, 11:07 PM
its harder to get rid of those stains in d bak seat if they r cloth

but leather gets a bit clammy and sticky when steamy :?

besides thats what seat covers are for ;)

oh you were talking about children. my bad.

Lance B
30-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Gday all.
Having decided on engine, colour and all options, there's only one thing I can't make my mind up on and that is the seats. I dont know whether to go for leather or cloth:???:. Ive never had leather in a car before and I would like to get your opinions on both. Eg: Good points and bad for both types of materials in black. Thanking you in advance. Cheers.:)

Get leather.

Sometimes you can't get stains out of cloth and if you have a dog or cat then *any* hair that attaches to your clothes gets *into* the cloth and can be hard to get out. Also, when you sweat, it gets into the fabric and can end up making the car smell whereas at least with leather you can just wipe it off.

balkanac
30-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Leather gets reall hot in the summer and really cold in winter. It is annoying that you have to polish them every 6 months to a year, but my last 4 cars had leather and i'd never buy a car without it again (unless its a 4WD and you use it for offroading). they are really comfortable and look great! Leather doesn't absorb spills so its great for cleaning. The only thing i don't get is why people put sheepskins over leather. It kinda misses the point of having leather :)

RhysQ
30-05-2008, 11:13 AM
yeah i've got leather and absolutely love it. when choosing a car cloth was not an option after having half cloth half leather seats in my last car (Peugeot 206 GTi).

as already said, much easier to clean and dont smell if odd liquids get spilt on it. not to forget the big ones.......look, smell, and feel great!

gareth_oau
30-05-2008, 11:48 AM
My first half a dozen cars always had cloth seats, i didnt want leather because of the hot/cold argument etc.

then I bought a used car that had leather, so didnt have a choice at the time.

My concerns over hot seats (and I live in 'always hot and sunny' Perth) proved to be less than founded.

Since then ive always chosen leather, as long as its looked after, it will last a long time and look fantastic (just sold a 1986 325is motorsport with original leather recaros and they looked fantastic).

the only tricky part is ticking the $2-$3k option box, when that cash could be spent elsewhere (like on exhaust or chip upgrades).

So if cost isnt an issue - go for it!!

baron
30-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks heaps guys, I am going the leather option,I've never had a car with leather before so its time to give it a go. Cheers.

Vene
30-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Careful.....once you go leather you can't go back!

Cro
30-05-2008, 04:08 PM
It's going to be hard not having leather in the R36...
Especially now that I have a very messy daughter in the back seat :o