PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS....

langers_sydney
26-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Kids,

What GPS are prople using in their pogs? Can you help me choose one ?

Needs to update via the web.
Have a fairly large screen
One way Streets indicated
calming female voice...
Look smart
Cost less than 300 (I'm slightly flexible if needed, always looking for quality over quantity)

Cheers!

Matt P
26-05-2008, 12:57 PM
most will update over the web, but you will most likely have to pay for it

RhysQ
26-05-2008, 02:02 PM
check this thread out....you mind find it helpful in choosing a sat nav.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=16031&highlight=navman

mine is a navman....can't think of the model number but it was cheap and is really good. picks up all the fixed speed camera and red light camera's as well which is really helpful ;). i wrote more on it in the attached thread.

Y2008
26-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Garmin Nuvi 260W for the lower budget
Garmin Nuvi 760 or TOMTOM GO720 if you can spare a couple hundred extra. Just got the Nuvi 760 and its the best ive ever used. I highly recomend garmin as they offer the most reliable navigation.

pixl
26-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Nokia N95 :)

It's what I'm using now and it does the job. But I've been doing a little bit of looking around, and I think I might end up with a Garmin. They seem pretty nifty.

langers_sydney
26-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Excellent help and great thread link. Thank you as always.

Think i'm gonna go Tom Tom XL

FL00DY
26-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm now using TomTom on my N95 with the internal GPS :cool:

NickZ
26-05-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm now using TomTom on my N95 with the internal GPS :cool:

How did you get that working?

RhysQ
26-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Nokia N95 :)

It's what I'm using now and it does the job. But I've been doing a little bit of looking around, and I think I might end up with a Garmin. They seem pretty nifty.

yeah if you want your phone battery to die within half an hour. you could never use it on a trip more than that. one of my mates used the sat nav on his N95 and his phone died about 10 mins before his destination = very lost. i suppose you could hook up a car charger though?? :???:

pixl
26-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I used my GPS once on a full battery with voice guidance and by the time I reached my destination (1hr 15mins) I was on two bars. I sent two messages and then my phone died. :)

;165416']i suppose you could hook up a car charger though?? :???:

The next day, I bought one. :D

FL00DY
26-05-2008, 07:19 PM
How did you get that working?

http://rapidshare.com/files/115602882/1.bt.sisx.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/115602800/2.GPSd.jar.html

You then need get TomTom, which I can't post links to here. It works by emulating the internal GPS as a bluetooth GPS.

;165416']yeah if you want your phone battery to die within half an hour. you could never use it on a trip more than that. one of my mates used the sat nav on his N95 and his phone died about 10 mins before his destination = very lost. i suppose you could hook up a car charger though?? :???:

Why would you navigate somewhere without it charging? When I used to use my PDA with TomTom I had a car charger, the battery on that lasted longer. But having the charger is how to fix your problem.

Transporter
22-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Ok, some 3.5 years on and I just wonder what is the best stick on GPS now. I'm going to get 4.3" or 5" one for our Touareg, I had the Navman for 4 years and was not very happy with it, will go for Garmin or Tom Tom, their top of the range units have some very impressive features.

I'd like to hear some opinions from others who didn't buy the RNS510 are using. :)

frozze
22-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Not sure if this is useful or not, but I was in similiar situation when I got my new Jetta. Wanted to get the RNS510 coz of the Satnav with integration but decided against it. Dealer wanted $3500 for it (because it would be dealer fitted).

Anyway, instead of buying a GPS unit, I decided to use my samsung galaxy SII. I really think google maps + Navigation is probably one of the best GPS on-the-go system out there. Searching is so easy on Google maps. Instead of searching for the exact address, I just need to type in, e.g. "Mcdonalds South Melbourne" and click on "Direction" brings up the route pretty much instantly.

The screen is large enough, plus you can stream the voice navigation over BT. I got a really nice/low profile phone cradle and mounted it on the dash just about the aircond vents. Bought a tom tom multi car charger (2 USB) for charging when I need it.

If you want a larger screen, there's the 5" Galaxy Note.

I'll try taking some photos tonight.

Ok, some 3.5 years on and I just wonder what is the best stick on GPS now. I'm going to get 4.3" or 5" one for our Touareg, I had the Navman for 4 years and was not very happy with it, will go for Garmin or Tom Tom, their top of the range units have some very impressive features.

I'd like to hear some opinions from others who didn't buy the RNS510 are using. :)

markwid
22-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Definitely stick with either Garmin or Tomtom. I have used both and my preference is Garmin. Don't be tempted by cheaper fringe brands.

Another plus for 2 main brands, if you need free map updates, you can source them easily from net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kaanage
23-12-2011, 05:56 AM
TomToms are great, especially if you like to load up alternative wacky voices but I prefer Garmin because they can use alternate topographical maps and also contour overlays (there are commercial and free versions of both types of sets for Australia).

The_Hawk
23-12-2011, 07:01 AM
I love my TomTom, it's been a long while since I have had a Navman, but that was pretty good in it's day too.

Now I have a Pioneer AVIC in one beast and the RNS510 in the other. Both work reasonably well, although updates a few and far between and there are glaring omissions in what are $2,000+ systems. Like decent speed camera support? Or POI's that alert you?

The RNS is far better than the AVIC in terms of interface, however lacks any warnings for speed/school etc (yes you can hack in POI's for this, but there is no audible alert). The AVIC takes strange routes sometimes, but when you have no clue where you are going at least you get there.

The TomTom I have is an older unit now, but has route aware speed camera's and school zones, displays the speed for the current road you are on as well as your current speed, it tells you street names, it even has a small indicator for the turn after next... always handy to know you are going left then immediately right so you are in the correct lane (although to be fair the RNS is pretty good at telling you this too). I'm at a total loss as to why features that have been in cheap hand held units are just not available on these "high end" head unit jobs.

In reality I like the convenience of the built in solution, but would almost certainly replace both head units if TomTom ever release a proper in car unit.

Hillbilly
02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I have had a Tomtom Go 730 for 3 years and it is by far the best unit I have used.

had a Garmin Nuvi before that and binned it as it was late all the time

Eg it would say "Take the exit" 50 m after I had gone past it.

Was a pain in the a......

Also did not display current speed on the screen when in navigation mode Only when in map mode and not navigating.

Despite hundreds of complaints Garmin said it couldnt or wouldnt be fixed.

Tom Tom has a better interface to use also and the later ones are even better

I am going to America later this year and am picking up a 1535 Tomtom that looks pretty good.

Bought it on Amazon for $124 AU. Unfortunately they wont post Navs to here

Anything is better than the built in RNS510 for navigation.

willow
02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Picked up a new Garmin 50 last week for my new Passat. Got the unit from JBHiFi for $190 including one of those weighted mats that sit on the dash (rrp $50). They threw that in for free. Tested out the GPS the other day and i must say I am very impressed, far better than my old Garmin from 2006, the screen is much more responsive, display is good, interface is very easy to use, volume is excellent. Really for $190 you cannot go wrong, especially as it has a 5 inch display. Picked up a signal real quick too. I didn't need a GPS with bluetooth as the RCD510 already has it so this is the pick of the simple GPS out there IMO.

I use Tom Tom's at work and I'll take a Garmin over them any day.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=92845

Transporter
13-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I got my Garmin Nuvi50 today from Harvey Norman for $127 :eek:
...and I agree for that money it must be the best value low cost GPS there. :)