PDA

View Full Version : mk1 powerrr..

nickwiedman
25-05-2008, 09:53 PM
hey guys im pretty new to this thread and the vw scene.

i have recently bought a 1977 mk1 golf, with a standard 8v 1.6 engine (except for extractors and a 2" exhaust)

in time i wanna make this thing into a bit of a weapon but need to be pointed in the right direction!

so what should i do? at the moment i'm thinking twin weber carbs?!

what other mods are out there to really help me unleash the power of my mk1?

let me have all your suggestions :) within reason of course - im a uni student with limited funds :D

thanks in advance for all your help!! :)

nick

Peter Jones
25-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Best value for money is just to drop in a later model 1800 or 2.0 Litre.

The going price for a second hand 180 from a MK3 Golf or Seat Cordoba is about $450.

Most people wouldn't even consider doing anything to the 1600 but they can be made to go very well.

Have a look around the forums , there's heaps of info on what motors fit in the Mk 1.

Pete

nickwiedman
25-05-2008, 10:05 PM
oh ok, cheers.

so how much would you be looking at to drop a new engine in?

sorry for the silly questions but where would you take the car to get the engine put in?

thanks

nick

Peter Jones
25-05-2008, 10:14 PM
We have a thread for exactly that question. Have a look here for some ideas.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=12

A lot of people , myself included, would just swap it out ourselves. Mk 1 Golfs are pretty simple things:)

Pete

nickwiedman
25-05-2008, 10:50 PM
We have a thread for exactly that question. Have a look here for some ideas.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=12

A lot of people , myself included, would just swap it out ourselves. Mk 1 Golfs are pretty simple things:)

Pete

ok thanks for your help man

but what your saying is that a mk3 2.0l will just drop straight into a mk1?

what things other things would then need to be replaced?

nick

Peter Jones
25-05-2008, 11:08 PM
The 1800 is an easier fit. Every thing just bolts up. The 2.0 takes a little more work.

You need to swap over the engine mounts, waterpump and alternator as well as all their brackets and belts but it's pretty easy stuff and a good chance to replace a few gaskets.

The exhaust manifold bolts straight on as does the inlet manifold although a better carby would be the go.

There's a hole to be blocked in the back of the 1800 head, some people just hammer a bolt in there!

You might need an electric fuel pump if the block doesn't have provision for one.

Have a look through the threads, there's plenty of info in here.

Pete

twin eng, twin turbs
26-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the forum! You have a tidy lookin mk1 their, as far as performance options you can do so much it all depends on your budget... A 1.8l 8v with a downdraft webber 32/36mm DGV, matched with a autotech 260cam is an easy way to get 120/130hp with your exhaust allready done. You could even get away with this for around a grand if you source the parts cheap, check out the for sale section in this forum. Get a close ratio 5 speed 020 gearbox aswell it makes a great difference in acceleration. :)