PDA

View Full Version : Oil & Filter change on gt tdi

bmwrider
25-05-2008, 10:35 AM
G'day everybody
Just finished changing my oil & Filter, so much for the manual telling you not
to overfill, I poured the old oil back into the empty container and there was more than 5 litres in the old oil. The manual says approx 4.3l
At least one things for sure it did'nt burn any oil in 7500 kms.

Cheers Kerry

Spoddy
25-05-2008, 09:00 PM
G'day everybody
Just finished changing my oil & Filter, so much for the manual telling you not
to overfill, I poured the old oil back into the empty container and there was more than 5 litres in the old oil. The manual says approx 4.3l
At least one things for sure it did'nt burn any oil in 7500 kms.

Cheers Kerry

Not good.

When my servicing dealer did the change they gave me about a litre left in the container for topping up. which I hope means they didn't use the full 5 litres :)

Greg Roles
26-05-2008, 11:59 AM
My TDI was delivered overfull, which I think is the plan to counter the increased use as it first runs in. Mine settled down at the top mark pretty quickly and hasn't moved much since.

I never listen to paper, and prefer to fill the oil filter and pan according to the dipstick, run it and recheck. There are a number of factors that can cause differing oil refill volumes, time, slopes, temperatures etc etc.

Just make sure it's right on the stick, and it's all good.

Logzy
26-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Min was delivered from the dealer slightly over full with the level just under half way up the top ball.
Its still there too after almost 5000km.
Guess my ring bedding method worked well.:D

Greg Roles
29-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I've no doubt your "ring" is bedded in mate.

:D

On a more serious note, I just did my 7500k oil and filter service, and got a few hundred mls more out of the oil cooler below the oil filter housing. Same plastic cap, just on the bottom. Messy, but I was keen to get all the old oil out. One for you fellow greasy hand types.