PDA

View Full Version : Octavia RS PD TDI

Two Dogs
25-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Hello all

I have been lurking on here for some time but hav not posted before.

Can anyone tell me if They are going tobring out the Octavia RS in the High power 2.0 tdi out of the Golf GT.

I thought I had read recently that it was coming however I can't seem to find the article again. If I recall correctly it stated something about releasing during the Sydney Motor Show.

I have tried talking to Skoda Australia and a number of dealerships but they seem incredibly ignorant of what they even offer now let alone the future.

Thanks
Thommo

P.S. The missus says she'll take an RS in Corrido Red if they come out in a TDI.:cool:

Frufru
25-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I am not sure whether 'higher power' 2.0 TDI in Golf GT is actually different engine rather then differently tuned, non-flattened power output thingy. By the way, you get better results just by re-chipping existing 2.0 PD TDI by Oettinger.

One thing for sure though, 125 kW PD 2.0TDI is not offered with Octavias even in Europe. However what they do now is that they offer common-rail engine, 2.0 TDI CR in conjunction with DPF as top end diesel instead. That gives 125 kW and 350 Nm (@1750-2500) which gives me impression it is still flattened curve and you can tune it up. At the moment though, they only sell it with Superb (I thing coming to Oz about end of the year) and Octavia RS (again not offered in Oz yet with TDi). Possibly they could offered it with 4x4 Octavia Scout, which they supposed to start shipping in October.

My understanding that they would be phasing out 1.9 TDI engines and everything will finish as common-rail. Considering how long VW were pushing PD, this seems to me as a rather embarassing turnaround.

mrx
25-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I also heard that the diesel RS will be released at the motor show (in october?). Don't know which engine it will have though.

gregozedobe
25-05-2008, 10:44 PM
From what I've read they may offer a TDI Oct RS in Oz later this year. As Frufru says it will be a CR, as they aren't putting PDs into Octys anymore (and I expect the CR will be going into the Golf GT TDI in the near future too).

AFAIK the CR has replaced the PD because it makes less nasty emissions as it can have more injection "events" per combustion cycle than the PD is capable of. The PD was still able to make competitive amounts of power and torque, but they weren't able to lower the emissions sufficiently for the new, stricter emission standards at a practical cost.

All new octy RS's TDI's are currently being built with the CR (the change happened at the Octy factory a few weeks ago I think).

I haven't heard of any plans to put hi-po TDIs (or petrols for that matter) into the Scout, as it's designated market segment is more the utilitarian, high-clearance soft-roader 4WD (ala Subaru Outback) rather than performance AWD road car (ala Golf R32, Audi S3).

I have a DPF in my transporter and the only way I know it is there is because my engine just does not belch black smoke, no matter how hard you flog it. I do almost all highway driving though. I have read many reports of the 125Kw PD TDI with DPF causing a lot of trouble if it is only driven in slow, heavy traffic conditions without a regular, brisk, drive at 2,000rpm or more for 10 minutes or more (to burn off the soot particles accumulated in the DPF). Don't know how the new CR version will perform in these conditions.

Two Dogs
27-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for that. Looks like we may be getting an RS after all.

Now the wait, it's going to suck if I want to get one early the price won't be so good I'm afraid.

Can anyone recomend a dealer ? I don't mind traveling for a good price.

gregozedobe
27-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Can anyone recomend a dealer ? I don't mind traveling for a good price.

If price is the main factor you could investigate how http://www.carbroker.com.au sell new cars.

Their business model is quite different, they require a firm commitment to buy (with a deposit) and then run a reverse auction system which they claim gives you the lowest price.

As the end of financial year looms closer you might find some dealers that are very keen to move their existing stock. If they are really desparate near the end of june you might find some willing to take off a bit more than usual, just to make up their volume targets (I suspect that most SKODA dealers would be a long way under the optimistic figures VWA started with). It would appear that VWA aren't giving SKODAS the same factory pricing support that they give to Golfs from time to time.

When I was buying at the end of Jan I didn't find any dealers that were into serious discounting for an RS wagon, but I wanted a 2008 custom factory build rather than taking a 2007 build car that they already had in stock.

I ended up buying locally (Lennocks, Canberra), as I believe it gives you more leverage with fixing any problems if you have purchased from the dealer doing the warranty work, and they were offering much the same sort of discount as I was finding anywhere else (not fabulous, but better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick).

If you are after an RS (petrol) wagon IIRC Lennocks had a couple in stock as of two weeks ago (ask for Colin Yap and tell him Greg C sent you). If you really want an RS TDI then you could try putting in an early order with an unspecified delivery date, (like some people did for the Passatt R36), but you won't have a firm price nor any idea of when you are taking delivery (just like happened to the R36 orderees).

MJKooLio
30-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Would looooooooove a DSG gearbox before anything in the RS :-)

Fredescu
30-05-2008, 10:40 AM
They only have the DSG in the Diesel vRS in the UK, so there's half a chance that if we're getting the TDI vRS we'll get the auto one too.

MJKooLio
30-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Schweet!!!!

Two Dogs
01-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks again for the info.

The wife likes the idea of the diesel. So we may consider an order.

Dzl_Dubba
04-06-2008, 09:33 PM
They only have the DSG in the Diesel vRS in the UK, so there's half a chance that if we're getting the TDI vRS we'll get the auto one too.

I thought i saw a manual option, when i was using the car configurator......hmmm....no problem afterall i'll be after the DSG

Fredescu
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
I thought i saw a manual option, when i was using the car configurator......hmmm....no problem afterall i'll be after the DSG
That's not what I meant. Out of the two vRS engines available in the UK, only the diesel has auto. The petrol doesn't. Both are available in manual. I can see where the confusion came from though. Sorry about my wording.

Two Dogs
14-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Went in to the local dealer today and he says Octoberish to coincide with the motor show. Incidentally only DSG.