PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with V6 Passat wagon with 18's Velos

Lance B
24-05-2008, 11:33 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my 17" Passat wheels to 18's and wonder if anyone has the 18" Velos. If so, could you provide photos and what tyres you chose. Are you happy with the combo? Here are the VW Velos rims as an Accessory:
http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/passat/Colours___Options/Accesssories_index/Alloys.html

Thanks in advance.

RF 4MOTION
26-05-2008, 11:28 AM
I have a silver 4Motion wagon on order (hopefully before the end of the month). I will be upgrading to an 18 or 19. depending on the look, and Milan from TCCA is helping me with lowering springs (30mm). I will look at the VW Zolder (last yrs R32 wheel) in 18", and the Omanyt (the new R32/R36 wheel) in 19" I would like to see the Euro Phaeton wheel, the Helios which is available in 19" but it is hard to find. Look at express wheels website www.expresswheels.com.au for more info. Also Tempe tyres in Sydney www.tempetyres.com.au.

OilBurna
26-05-2008, 01:32 PM
may want to look here not cheap but they are orginals and with are aussie dollar. I'm waiting for the 20 inch R50's hehehehe

r.

http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=31&zenid=dad8b660106fc8e802135f058776100f

velos is here $355 USD per rim (exc tyres) I thought thye ahd a shadow version as well but can't see it there anymore

http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=433

http://oempl.us/images/Wheel_Velos01.jpg

Lance B
28-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the replies and the photo(oliburner).

I have decided to go with the Jetta 18x8 Vision light alloy rim. The Vision is a accessory for the Jetta but is not listed for the Passat for some reason. The offset is ET50 on the Vision 18x8, but ET47 on the Passat 18x8 accessory rims like the Velos, Chicago etc. They do fit on the Passat as I have tried one rim to make sure they clear the (big) brake calipers of the Passat and even though there is only 3mm difference in offset, I am sure they will be fine.
Vision rims can be seen here for those interested. Seeing them in the flesh, they look great:
http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/jetta/Colours___Options/Accesssories_index/Alloys.html

Lams
28-05-2008, 12:28 PM
We have the Chicagos on ours, with Pirelli PZero Rosso. After 47000km they are still going strong, a bit noisy though!

Seems like Passats and Eos use the same wheels, then your mk5 Golf/Jetta have different wheels. We've seen a Passat with A3 wheels and it looked a bit too "tucked in", must be the higher offset

OilBurna
28-05-2008, 12:40 PM
the eos rusn the same 17 inch as the passat tdi and 2.0t lance b may i ask roughly how much you paid including tyres? Are you sure the offset won;t affect anything including tpms etc?

Lance B
28-05-2008, 04:50 PM
We have the Chicagos on ours, with Pirelli PZero Rosso. After 47000km they are still going strong, a bit noisy though!

Seems like Passats and Eos use the same wheels, then your mk5 Golf/Jetta have different wheels. We've seen a Passat with A3 wheels and it looked a bit too "tucked in", must be the higher offset

Yes, the Eos has the same offset rims at 47mm for the 18's. I quite like the Chicago rims, but I wanted to have something different and I like the pattern of the Vision rims. When you see them in the flesh, they look very very nice, not too complicated (hate complicated rims) and are easy to clean due to them being uncomplicated. The Visions also have a more aggressive look on the vehicle, but you need to see the photo of the Jetta with the Visions on them. The Accessory brochure for the Jetta has the Jetta with the Vision rims attached and they look fantastic, IMO.

The offset means that the tyres will sit at exactly the same spot on the outside as the original 17" rim/tyres. In otherwords, the outside of the tyres will be at the same spot as compared to the guards.

The Chicago has an offset of 47mm whereas the Vision has an offset of 50mm, so they will sit 3mm further inside the car than the Chicago wheels you have, which is nothing. The original 17" x 7.5" are 44 offset which means that the original rim sits 6mm further to the outside than the Visions, BUT the original 17's are 12.7mm narrower than the Visions which are 8", so the 6mm is made up for (6mm each side of centre) by the rim being wider. In otherwords, the Vision rim and tyre will sit at the same place on the outside of the tyre. The inside of the rim/tyre will be 12.7mm closer to the inside wheel well, BUT that is on 3mm closer to the wheel well than the Chicago 18x8 rim/tyre package. Having done a lock to lock on the steering there is heaps of room and the tyre fitter also agrees that they should fit no proble, especially considering that the Chicago rim/tyre package is only a 3mm difference.

I have asked around about tyres and I am going to get the Kumho KU31 235/40 95Y 18's. Seems like they are quiet and not too exxy and those that have them are very happy with them.

Lance B
28-05-2008, 05:04 PM
the eos rusn the same 17 inch as the passat tdi and 2.0t lance b may i ask roughly how much you paid including tyres? Are you sure the offset won;t affect anything including tpms etc?

The TPMS can be swapped, and will be swapped, to the new 18 x8's as the Jetta also has the TPMS option for those rims.

The Eos and Passat run the exact same offsets for both the 17" and 18" rims. The 17's at ET44 and the 18's at ET47, but the Jetta is ET50 for the 18's. 3mm is no real difference and will clear all the internal areas I am positive. See post above.

Cost is quite expensive, but worth it to get good quality rims like the VW rims are. The Jetta Vision rim package kit can be had for $1990 plus GST which includes all hardware and the suspension limiter - which has to be used for all 18" rim packages for Passat, Eos, Jetta and I think Golf too.

Having had aftermarket rims previously, I have found that many can have vibration problems due to the rim having weight imbalances. In one case, I had to have the tyres reset on the rim a number of times which still didn't fix the problem. I ended up having to go to Bridgestone on Silverwater Rd which has a Hunter(?) machine (one of the very few in Australia) which can pinpoint weight imbalances on the rim and the tyre and they can match the tyre to the rim *almost* perfectly. This fixed the problem by about 90% but was still not perfect. I am now a little shy about getting cheapish after market rims from Taiwan etc.

The tyres I am getting are Kumho 235/40 95Y 18" KU31 at $225 a pop. Lots less than the Pirelli Rosso's at $450 and Continentals at $460!!! Even the Yokohama's are $320 each. Everyone I have talked to has said that the Kumhos are very good and nice and quiet and at $225 each they are worth trying.

Lams
28-05-2008, 10:26 PM
There are two types of TPMS - one has a sensor in each wheel, and the other system uses ABS sensors in each wheel to determine the difference in speed in each wheel. I believe the Passat uses the 2nd system, I know the mkV cars do

Lance B
28-05-2008, 10:38 PM
There are two types of TPMS - one has a sensor in each wheel, and the other system uses ABS sensors in each wheel to determine the difference in speed in each wheel. I believe the Passat uses the 2nd system, I know the mkV cars do

Actually, I am pretty sure the new B6 Passats use the sensors in each wheel, but I will find out soon enough when they check one of the original rim/tyres. :)

OilBurna
29-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Lance / Lams, i beleive the 2.0T and diesels use the poor mans version ie ABS, there is a button you can press which will check your pressure and give you a warning. The V6 4 motion uses the sensors in the wheel I thought.

Lams
03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I think you're right Burna, looking at the brochure, the 3.2 and 3.6 get a different system than the other ones