PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Passat Wheels - Not what I expected

VolksFlagon
20-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi guys,

When I took delivery of my 2008 Passat I thought that it was going to have the same spoke wheels on the 2007 model, however it came with a 5 spoke job which I'm not really taken with.

I'll take a real photo but mean while the below will do (take on VW's site)

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/passat/model_variants/Passat_32_V6_FSI.Par.0007.Image.jpg

It wasn't a big deal at first - probably because I was overwhelmed by the whole experience of getting a new car, but a week later I queried the dealer who said nothing could be done.

I thought about after market wheels but have now been informed by the dealer that they need to have the tyre pressure sensors which limits the options back to the dealer supplied wheels which are lots of $$$.

Am I being screwed???

vanDub
20-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Am I being screwed???

No, they are the exact "stylish 17" Monty (sic) Carlo alloy wheels" that are standard on the 3.2 V6 FSI as per item 2 page 25 of the 2008 brochure.

You may have been shown outdated brochures by your dealer as my local did until he got new ones (around Dec 07) when I pointed out his were out of date and did not include the 125Kw engine details.

As well as including 125 Kw details, the updated brochure also corrected the colour pallete (deleted shadow blue & Blue Graphite / added Granite Metallic & Mocca Anthracite) and made beige leather available across the entire colour range.

Current Brochure is on http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms_publish/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/passat/data_facts/information_prices.html

OPVW
21-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought about after market wheels but have now been informed by the dealer that they need to have the tyre pressure sensors which limits the options back to the dealer supplied wheels which are lots of $$$.

Am I being screwed???

Sorry to hear you weren't informed of the new wheels you'd be getting with your Passat. It was announced in a bulletin to all dealers that the MY08 3.2 Passats would wear new shoes. I personally would have told you.

Forget whatever crap they're telling you about the rims having tyre pressure sensors built in. It doesn't work that way. As long as you get wheels and tyres with the correct PCD and offset you're fine. I saw that Tempe Tyres http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products.asp?index=VW+%26+Audi+Wheels
do wheels for our cars. Look at the bottom of the page and you'll find wheels that are a close match for the wheels you wanted and should fit without a drama.

As for the tyre pressure monitor situation...ignore their statements. It works with sensors yes but these sensors are not on the rims. Buy the rims you want :-)

VolksFlagon
22-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks OPVW.

OPVW
22-05-2008, 10:46 AM
need to make a small correction and update with more info.

TPMS works with the valve stem in each wheel. The stem monitors pressure and send a signal (not sure if IR, Bluetooth or what have you) to the central computer. As long you buy wheels that will accept the same stems as the original wheels you are good to go. For that reason..I'd say you should be ok with the wheels at the link I mentioned but please ask before you purchase :-)

Lance B
22-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I love the 5 spoke wheels as shown in the photo and they're easier to keep clean.

VolksFlagon
23-05-2008, 02:39 PM
need to make a small correction and update with more info.

TPMS works with the valve stem in each wheel. The stem monitors pressure and send a signal (not sure if IR, Bluetooth or what have you) to the central computer. As long you buy wheels that will accept the same stems as the original wheels you are good to go. For that reason..I'd say you should be ok with the wheels at the link I mentioned but please ask before you purchase :-)

I take it that the valve stems for the TPMS in the factory wheel scan be re-used in new rims so long as they fit?

OPVW
23-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Correcta mondo :-)