PDA

View Full Version : fitment of new springs on mkV GTI

zz2
19-05-2008, 05:17 PM
hey everyone,

im looking at purchasing some H&R springs for my 2007 GTI.
the H&R springs im looking at will give the car a drop of about 1.5inches (38mm). i am wondering if changing the springs on a mkV is a DIY exercise or am i just better off taking it too the professionals? i have all the tools i would need minus a spring compressor.
you recon this is a job that can be tackled by a guy like me with some mechanical experience?
has anyone else here had any experience with changing the springs on their cars?

thanks for your input

Mark

johng
19-05-2008, 06:19 PM
No experience of new springs - will just be grateful when windscreen on my nearly new GTI stops leaking - we get more rain than Perth.

Why the new springs - whats the gain?

zz2
19-05-2008, 06:59 PM
well the gain is really just improved looks.
IMO i think it would be quite an improvement to have a slightly reduced ride height and have the wheels fill the guards more.
also there are so many GTIs in Perth now it will be nice to have something that looks a bit different lol.
the springs also will improve handling and reduce body roll.

in reality i wouldnt of considered putting on springs at this stage but a fellow mkV GTI driving mate of mine is selling the after market parts off his car to put towards the new car he has just bought and hes offering me these springs which only have a couple of thousand KM's on it for only $150. thats a massive saving on getting them new and is simply and offer that is too good to pass up.

Oneofthegreats
19-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Why the new springs - whats the gain?

The new GTI's behave so much better with lowered spring's & real good with H&R's.

VW's have alway's had a tendency to be over sprung & under dampened, which makes the car very jiggly.

I fitted H&R's to my brother's car & straight away it's impressive.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://xs.to)

Also take note: When you lower a GTI on standard rim's, the front bar is extremely low standard with a huge amount of over hang, & even more so lowered.

Gutter's, kerb's, speed hump's watch out!!!

Also. The rear spring's are very easy to fit. Can be done in 10-20mins.
The front's are a totally different story & can be a pain in the a#%e!
I found that removing the entire wheel hub/strut assembly to be the easiest way of doing it. You also don't really damage any of the alloy componentry.

zz2
19-05-2008, 07:51 PM
thanks for the info Golfworx.

i plan to keep my stock wheels for the foreseeable future.
curbs and speed bumps dont really seem like that much of an issue for me. even with my stock height i tend to park well before curbs and take speed bumps as slow as possible.

btw that GTI with the 911 wheels looks bloody HOT