PDA

View Full Version : R36 v new A4 3.2 Quattro

Wolves1877
19-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I know they probably operate in different markets but has anyone driven the new A4 3.2 Quattro as a possible alternative to the R36?

I have an R36 on order but I've also been thinking about the A4 3.2 Quattro with S-Line sports suspension and wanted to get peoples thoughts on how you think it would compare to the R36. Figures are 195kw / 330Nm, 6.4 sec 0-100. The specs seem pretty similar to the R36.

Lams
19-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Wolves,
Performance-wise, the Passat will leave the A4 behind by quite a margin. The Passat is lighter, has a bigger motor and it has a DSG.

On the level of equipment, the Passat wouldn't be far behind either. But for the Audi it has the badge, it has an interior that's levels ahead and it is also quite ahead in refinement. It really depends on what you value in these cars!

R36 Dreamer
19-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Wolves,
On the level of equipment, the Passat wouldn't be far behind either. But for the Audi it has the badge, it has an interior that's levels ahead and it is also quite ahead in refinement. It really depends on what you value in these cars!

Have a look at the options list for the Audi vs the R36, it would cost a small fortune to option the Audi up to the same levels of equipment that come standard.

The A4 is smaller too, the Passat is meant to compare to the A6 in size, whereas the Jetta compares to the A4.

I love A4's, but they are expensive and depreciate like bastards.

balkanac
19-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I love A4's, but they are expensive and depreciate like bastards.

Very true. with an R36 you'd be driving something that not many people have. A4s are nice, but most people can't tell the difference between the 2L and the S4. And those seats in R36 are beautiful!!!

theplanner
19-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Apart from all the above the A4 would be about 20k plus more expensive than the R36.

I did consider the A4 too, didnt test drive it but examined the interior and size very closely. While I could happily live with the A4 overall, I couldn't find any justification for the extra $$$ for essentially the same technology.
While slightly smaller, the new A4's are bigger than the outgoing model therefore there is little size difference between the passat and A4 at least from a perception point of view from sitting in the 2 cars.

And as correctly pointed out above, the options list are HUGE which adds more to the driveaway price.

Depreciation, I reckon would be better than the R36 if the passat depreciation is anything to go by.

But the A4 is a much sexier looking car! Interior quality is a level above the Passat. Dash design is more upmarket too.

In my opinion, if the slight reduction in power and acceleration does not bother you and if you have the extra $$$ to pay go the A4. I can't justify to myself any of the above, thus I am sticking to the R36. IF I was going to pay for the A4, I rather the 335 bimmers, an even better package.

Wolves1877
19-05-2008, 12:21 PM
If the depreciation on my current A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback is anything to go by, the A4 could really hurt come selling time. I bought my A3 for just over$60k fully optioned in 2005... 3 years later and Audi are now offering me $22k as a trade in. That's over 60% depreciation in 3 years. Will the exclusiveness of the R36 help it hold it's value any better.

How much of a step down will the cabin quality be on the R36? The fit and finish in my current Audi is absolutely top notch, so hopefully the R36 won't be too noticeably poorer? Please tell me thVW interiors aren't comparable to a Peugeot or Renault (or worse a Holden or Ford).

Cost isn't a huge concern, in fact I'm currently test driving an A6 3.0 TDI Quattro. the engine would have to be one of the best I've ever driven, but the car itself is a bit boat-like for me.

R36 Dreamer
19-05-2008, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=Wolves1877;162566]Will the exclusiveness of the R36 help it hold it's value any better.
QUOTE]

The Million Dollar Question......

My GTI which is essentially the same as your TFSI (though less luxurious) has retained 70% after 2.5 years which I am pretty happy with - and that is the trade in price!!

Wolves1877
19-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I note that "Top Gear" website quoted the following about the R36:

"One thing the R36 is likely to have is anvil-down-mineshaft depreciation".

Hope that doesn't hold true in Oz.

RWK
19-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I bought my A3 for just over$60k fully optioned in 2005... 3 years later and Audi are now offering me $22k as a trade in. That's over 60% depreciation in 3 years.

Did you ask Audi and see if they could find you another A3 that exactly same as yours (same year, same specs etc) and tell them you are willing to pay $22,010 for it.

I actually did this when I was at Auto classic Perth 3 months ago. They offered me 27k for my MPS6 as a trade in. I said to the manager, "I will give you 28K, you sell me one". Then I showed him my finger (Thumb of coz) then left

gareth_oau
19-05-2008, 04:20 PM
If the depreciation on my current A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback is anything to go by, the A4 could really hurt come selling time. I bought my A3 for just over$60k fully optioned in 2005... 3 years later and Audi are now offering me $22k as a trade in. That's over 60% depreciation in 3 years. Will the exclusiveness of the R36 help it hold it's value any better.

depreciation is measured against the resale value, not the trade-in value. I'm sure if you used yr A4 as a deposit on a new lamborghini, theyd offer you $60k trade-in - that nil depreciation by yr measure

3Putt
19-05-2008, 05:34 PM
What you should be comparing the A4 to is the current V6 Passat 3.2.

Same engine, after all!!!

Wolves1877
19-05-2008, 07:44 PM
I appreciate that it is the same engine but I wanted to compare the sportiness of the R36 to the A4 3.2 Quattro with the S-Line sports package and suspension, which I would have thought will be closer to the R36 than the Passat 3.2 4Motion.

Lams
19-05-2008, 11:19 PM
in my first hand opinion, the passat has the worst put-together interior of the entire current (and one previous) range. Ours has been very disappointing in that area

R36 Dreamer
20-05-2008, 07:29 AM
I appreciate that it is the same engine but I wanted to compare the sportiness of the R36 to the A4 3.2 Quattro with the S-Line sports package and suspension, which I would have thought will be closer to the R36 than the Passat 3.2 4Motion.

Wolves, I tend to disagree, it is still more on par with the 3.2 than the R36. Sline and Suspension upgrades dont give the engine any more output, and if the upgrades are like the last A4's, they dont really provide any performance or benefit.

A mate of mine has an A4 2.0T quattro with the S Line and Suspension, and he has driven other A4's when his is being serviced and reckons the only thing it improves is the look of the car.

I should also add that he bought the car for about 80k 3 years ago and has just been offered $30k as a trade in from the Audi dealer where he bought it - on a Q7. He is not happy, as the car is immaculate and has about 30k on the clock.

Steve
20-05-2008, 09:43 AM
That will pay for a few options on the base diesel :) I think we ended up with $30000 of options/on road costs on ours. Sunroof, bi-xenons, adjustable suspension, and a few other things. $$$$$$ :(

I'm trying to get Dad to trade up to the new 4.2 diesel but he's more likely to buy a new Landcruiser instead.