PDA

View Full Version : Considering a mk4 Golf...

dj_daniel88
09-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I've got an automatic 1997 VR6 Golf at the moment, and Its a great car. However with petrol prices now it is hard to keep it running. Its pretty thirsty, averaging around 12 litres per 100km. I only got about 300km out of a full tank recently, city driving.

Because of this I'm considering getting a later model, but 4 cylinder golf. I wanted to get some opinions, wether this would be an upgrade or downgrade. I have heard that the 1.6 mk4's are slow and underpowered, I don't want a slow and underpowered car. I also don't want to forfeit features like cruise control.

What do you all think of the mk4 overall? What are the engines and build quality like? I like the design of the mk3 Golfs interior, but my car rattles like crazy. How is it on the mk4? If i were to get a 4cylinder, it would be in a manual.

Thanks...

Tim
09-08-2006, 07:27 PM
if youre gonna go a mk4 fork out for a GTI. Theyre not that much more expensive. Theyre reasonable on the juice and have all the luxury items too. MK4 interior is a lot nicer than the MK3 i reckon.
what sort of budget are u gonna be playing with?

gtimk5
09-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Getting a mk4 you will notice a lack of power but the GTI would be a lot more economical . With some mods they go reasonable. When I drive the wifes mk3 it feels cramped inside even after driving a mk1. Sort of feels dark in there? The mk4 doesn't have much more rear legroom. They feel bigger though and if you get a good one they feel very solidly built. Suspension is a bit soft for my liking but you can fix that if you think the same. Cheers, Andrew :) :)

MK2 GTI
09-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I reckon 1.6 golfs go really well for what they are. They are smoother than the 2ltr's cause the 1.6 is still a german built motor. Only problem with them is really just the coolant temp probe and the brake discs shutter if you get them hot. If you have the money for a MK4 GTI though get one!

gtimk5
09-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Agree! My 1.6 went well. The 2L isn't much quicker in accelleration. Don't forget the plastic impella problem on the 1.6 waterpump! Bugger bout that!:D
The interior is way ahead in the mk4s over the mk3.
Don't worry blokes! I am not canning the mk3. They are becoming the next must have after the mk1s and 2s!:)

dj_daniel88
09-08-2006, 07:53 PM
What is the GTI like on fuel compared to the 1.6?

I don't have much cash to play with, only however much I will get for my VR6. Its a 97 auto, in excellent condition, 140kms on the clock. I don't think I could afford a GTI.

Perhaps I could go somewhere in the middle, a 2.0 or the GTI. I get the impression that the 1.6 arent great with power.

gtimk5
09-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Posted at the same time DJ! see above, cheers!:)

MK2 GTI
09-08-2006, 07:59 PM
GTIMK5 - Thats nearly on every volkswagen lol. Do you put metal ones back in? Stupid idea i reckon, they get too brital too easy, i spoke to a mate from tafe about them today (works at a vw dealership) and he said he's had them go at 10,000kms.

gtimk5
09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey mk2 GTI, Yes I fit the Kolbenschmidt ones which are steel. Dumb idea, plastic, never realised the mk3s had plastic till Monday either. Why cut costs there and put the motor at risk??
DJ, I found my mk4 1.6 was economical and reasonably powered though you have to use the gears.
Andrew:) :)

mikinoz
09-08-2006, 08:43 PM
I found my mk4 1.6 was economical and reasonably powered though you have to use the gears.
Andrew:) :)

I am in agreement with this - and when you have sorted the suspension out with something firmer and lower - you will be able to give many a more powerful car a run for it's money on a windy road!

And I have NEVER got less than 500km per tank!

Golf Loon
10-08-2006, 11:58 AM
VR6 Autos are Thirsty, as are all Autos. Go the manual every time.

The Mk4s are good cars, heavy and solid, which is why they are not as quick as the earlier ones.

Yes the plastic impeller is stupid. they did it on SEATs too. I replace em with metal ones too. ;)

RedMk2Gti
15-08-2006, 12:34 PM
What is the GTI like on fuel compared to the 1.6?

I don't have much cash to play with, only however much I will get for my VR6. Its a 97 auto, in excellent condition, 140kms on the clock. I don't think I could afford a GTI.

Perhaps I could go somewhere in the middle, a 2.0 or the GTI. I get the impression that the 1.6 arent great with power.

Power = $$$$$$, neither 1.6 nor 2.0 are powerful, they're great smooth running cars though. If you're used to your VR6 power, save up more money and get a Mk4 Gti.

BLKMJC
23-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Ive had mine for over a year now and love it. Only problem I've had was the coolant temp sensor went, replaced under warranty.

Build quality is good, interior is nice and no rattles.

If you want similar power to the VR6 get a GTI, anything less will be much slower. Once you chip the GTI it will be faster than the VR6 and use less petrol.

BLKMJC

RedMk2Gti
24-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Once you chip the GTI it will be faster than the VR6 and use less petrol.

BLKMJC

Use less petrol than VR6 or Gti without chip :confused:

Golf Loon
26-08-2006, 08:38 AM
I dont think the GTI is faster than the VR6. On the sydney cruise we raced a Mk5GTI with a chip and filter and he couldent beat either of a certain 2 VR6s.
We were all trying. I`m not saying the Mk5 wouldn`t win up top, but 0-100, we had him. He probably used less petrol though. And old ladies on bikes are faster than auto Vr6s ;)

BLKMJC
26-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I doubt he was racing, a chipped V GTI has around 185kw and over 350nm torque. A VR6 even with mods wouldnt go past 140kw and 300nm, either he was a bad driver or not giving it all its got, or the VR6's have been turbo charged :)

I have two friends with nice VR6's and my stock 1.8T loses by about 1 car length in a TLGP, and sometimes gains on rolling starts. Thats without a chip.

Must be freakish VR6's ;)

BLKMJC