PDA

View Full Version : ipod fm tuners

gpk_gti
17-05-2008, 04:56 PM
hey audio freaks!

im thinking of just using a fm ipod transmitter instead of a ipod compatible deck due to the theft of my old sony deck...now ive got a brand new vw deck installed.

my question is,with the ipod fm transmitter ,is the sound quality the same as a proper connection????

thanks guys!

Soundofav6
17-05-2008, 05:04 PM
The FM tuners is no where near as clear as a AUX/ipod connection. But it is really handy/ convinent, plug and play and easy to hide. :)

Treza360
17-05-2008, 06:38 PM
What about a Dension gateway 100 or a DICE iPod kit. Not sure what VW head unit you got but I believe they're compatible with most. Eventually when I get some more funds I plan on doing a setup for my car.
These guys will ship to Australia and seem to have all the kit; cradles, radio removal tools etc.
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/
Cheers,
Trent

Cupra
17-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I had a fm transmitter for my Mk5 & found it was hopeless so I put the Ipod connection in the glove box but I tried the transmitter in the Ibiza & it's great, the sound quality is as good as the cd stacker.

BL33SU
17-05-2008, 06:41 PM
transmitters arnt that good.. keep or get the ipod connection thing.

Celestine
18-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I purchased one for the Polo previously and took it back straight away as it was totally hopeless. On the lower end of the frequencies (where you wouldnt expect too much interference at the 88.2, etc), you just couldnt pick up a clear signal without static interference while you were stationary. Once the ignition is on, it's impossible to get anything clear or audible out of it.

Thus I ended up purchasing a genuine VW Ipod adaptor for the Polo...

gpk_gti
18-05-2008, 10:39 AM
What about a Dension gateway 100 or a DICE iPod kit. Not sure what VW head unit you got but I believe they're compatible with most. Eventually when I get some more funds I plan on doing a setup for my car.
These guys will ship to Australia and seem to have all the kit; cradles, radio removal tools etc.
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/
Cheers,
Trent

hmmm,thanks mate!! but 98pounds!!! woooooo!!!! might as well just buy a sony ipod deck! but I think ive seen these things on ebay for much less.......

fm tuner transmitter is definately off the cards by the sounds of it!

h100vw
18-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I have an ebay $5 one, proper bad, like listening to AM at midnight.
Get a different head unit would be my advice.
Gavin

Treza360
18-05-2008, 07:00 PM
hmmm,thanks mate!! but 98pounds!!! woooooo!!!! might as well just buy a sony ipod deck! but I think ive seen these things on ebay for much less.......
fm tuner transmitter is definately off the cards by the sounds of it!
Yeah sorry forgot to mention that they're not that cheap. You do get control of the iPod through the stereo controls though which is a bonus. But you can get head units which can do that anyway... :?

99gti
18-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Don't get one of the belkin ones. I tried and failed.

stevend01
18-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey,
I have a proper ipod connection thing on my JVC head unit. very handy because it charges it and you dont have to look at the actual ipod to change the song where the crappy trasmitter is rubbish and destracting lol

STeve