PDA

View Full Version : R36 Arrival

theplanner
14-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Found this extract on VWG website:
Accessible Privilege
The Passat R36 sedan starts at $64,990 and the Passat R36 wagon starts at $66,990 (1) and will be in dealerships from the 1st of June 2008. Pre orders can be taken now.

Looks like June delivery is realistic for some lucky owners afterall. Plus u get to beat the LCT.

Steve
14-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Sweet :) :D

R36 Dreamer
15-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Found this extract on VWG website:
Accessible Privilege
The Passat R36 sedan starts at $64,990 and the Passat R36 wagon starts at $66,990 (1) and will be in dealerships from the 1st of June 2008. Pre orders can be taken now.

Looks like June delivery is realistic for some lucky owners afterall. Plus u get to beat the LCT.

Says the same on the VWA website (not sure if you are talking about the same website (Volkswagen Australia).

Yesterday it said will be in dealerships from the 3rd quarter 2008 - so it looks like they have brought it forward!!

Cro
15-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I guess we can thank the new government for this :idea:

RhysQ
15-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I guess we can thank the new government for this :idea:

the new government doesn't deserve thanks for anything....i say thanks to VW for bringing the delivery date forward to skip the LCT (if that was the reason).

Cro
15-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I guess it's impossible to detect sarcasm on forums...
Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic :)

PaulRozza
15-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Nice one Cro, I got it the first time! ;-)

Chatswood Calssic have told me a lot of the cars are arriving in June, but will be held back to the VWA certified official launch date...sometime in August.

That's a lot of R36's sitting in a yard somewhere!

R36 Dreamer
15-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice one Cro, I got it the first time! ;-)

Chatswood Calssic have told me a lot of the cars are arriving in June, but will be held back to the VWA certified official launch date...sometime in August.

That's a lot of R36's sitting in a yard somewhere!

Not that I am too fussed, but it is funny that my dealer called me to advise all preorders will be delivered to customers within 3 weeks of landing in the country.

I was told 5 mins ago that around the 18th June is the likely date of delivery.

Now I have to sell the GTI :(:(:(:(

PaulRozza
15-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I rang CCC again, and they have informed me that the car will not be available until August, so you are one lucky ba$ta#d R36Dreamer!!!

Apparently this is from someone on high at VWA with regards to them not letting the cars hit the street until August...I need an official response from someone!

RWK
15-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Apparently this is from someone on high at VWA with regards to them not letting the cars hit the street until August...I need an official response from someone!

That is 100% correct, I have officialy received a letter from VWA saying the same thing too. They are NOT allowed to hit the street , not until the OFFICIAL LANUNCH DATE which is Aug/Sep 2008. Again, if anyone here can get it before the launch date, that is absoulutely brilliant as we all wanted to know how the car goes. However at this stage, I pretty much doubted the VWA would alter the official launch date unless they wanted to kick it in before the LCT increases. Don't you find it a bit strange that we still can't find any reviews or videos about the R36 anywhere in the world. Volkswagen Group might have wanted the R36 to be released on the same date worldwide, just a thought.

R36 Dreamer could be the first and only one in Australia who would get the R36 before launch. Very lucky.

gareth_oau
15-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Can the forum admin create a sarcasm smiley for us please?:D

theplanner
15-05-2008, 04:14 PM
That is 100% correct, I have officialy received a letter from VWA saying the same thing too. They are NOT allowed to hit the street , not until the OFFICIAL LANUNCH DATE which is Aug/Sep 2008. Again, if anyone here can get it before the launch date, that is absoulutely brilliant as we all wanted to know how the car goes. However at this stage, I pretty much doubted the VWA would alter the official launch date unless they wanted to kick it in before the LCT increases. Don't you find it a bit strange that we still can't find any reviews or videos about the R36 anywhere in the world. Volkswagen Group might have wanted the R36 to be released on the same date worldwide, just a thought.

R36 Dreamer could be the first and only one in Australia who would get the R36 before launch. Very lucky.

I'm curious what is the date of the official letter? Because the Aust VW website indicated that the R36 will be available in dealership from 1 June 2008. I would think that would be official too? So Official Official info should we believe? There seem to be a lot of contradicting information.

RWK
15-05-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm curious what is the date of the official letter? Because the Aust VW website indicated that the R36 will be available in dealership from 1 June 2008. I would think that would be official too? So Official Official info should we believe? There seem to be a lot of contradicting information.

That was an email and received on the 5th May 2008 16:33.
May be that applies to WA only. God knows.

There wont be any R36 in WA until end of August anyway. So ...... good luck.

Mischa
15-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I rang CCC again, and they have informed me that the car will not be available until August, so you are one lucky ba$ta#d R36Dreamer!!!

take ANYTHING ccc says with a grain of salt.

R36 Dreamer
15-05-2008, 04:46 PM

I might add they wont put it in writing - so maybe I am wrong.

Agree though that if it says they are available from June 08 on the website that is the date they will be released??:???:

The only reason I particularly care is that I need to time the new arrival around the date of the disposal of my GTI - which I am going to put on the market.

I dont want to be without a car for too long.....

VWA have sent me an email in the past saying September, so I dont know what to believe.

The dealer I am using has been pretty honest thus far (for a dealer) - originally telling me October, then telling me third quarter, and now advising June.... so I dont know what the hell to believe.

I originally preordered with the belief that it would be October, so I wouldn't have cared if it was October - but just want to bloody know so I can sort out my finances.

Would be nice if we were all getting the same answer wouldn't it!!

VW Convert
15-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Would be nice if we were all getting the same answer wouldn't it!!

All I can say is it's a good job VW build such good cars because the way communication regarding delivery of new vehicles seems to always get screwed up there is no way you would buy one otherwise!

Cheers

George

VW Convert
15-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Can the forum admin create a sarcasm smiley for us please?:D

Isn't this the sarcastic smiley? :rolleyes:

Cheers

George

Steve
15-05-2008, 06:50 PM
If they're going to delay it they'd better give me my fkn Dynaudio and reversing camera :( :( :(

lswinkel
15-05-2008, 10:35 PM
yeah it seems all to confusing, I have been told by my dealer that the car will be arriving early June and they are quite confident that they can have it my hands before July. They have been pretty straight forward with me so far so fingers crossed.
But at the end of the day they are just a dealer and can get screwed by VWA just like the rest of us.

R36 Dreamer
21-05-2008, 01:12 PM
yeah it seems all to confusing, I have been told by my dealer that the car will be arriving early June and they are quite confident that they can have it my hands before July. They have been pretty straight forward with me so far so fingers crossed.
But at the end of the day they are just a dealer and can get screwed by VWA just like the rest of us.

Good Afternoon All,

Time for me to eat my words, eat humble pie, and cop it from all and sundry.

Just spoke to my dealer, who told me his dealer principal received a call from VWA this morning, advising that the R36 will not be delivered until after the official VWA launch.

This is scheduled for August some time. Vehicles will be delivered to customers as soon as the launch has been completed.

Interestingly he told me that whilst the build date will say April 08, the compliance date will be August 08.

He also advised that they are having the same problem at the moment with the Tiguan. Apparently the dealership has 40 orders, where cars are in the country and have been for months. VWA advised that they would not be delivered to customers until after the official launch date (June).

So it isn't just R36 owners which are feeling frustrated I suppose.

Steve
21-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I can't fathom their reason for doing this.

Hopefully it gives me an angle to get the car I actually ordered now, though.

R36 Dreamer
21-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I can't fathom their reason for doing this.

Hopefully it gives me an angle to get the car I actually ordered now, though.

The dealer told me the story about the reversing cameras. Aparently it wasn't VWAG who made the mistake, but VWA. VWA didn't specify they wanted the cameras when they selected SatNav (apparently the two have to be specc'd separately even though in Australia they are in one option pack) so VWAG have told VWA that it is their problem.

VWA are trying to work out how to either fit them aftermarket or refund customers for the trouble.

I was told that ALL cars in this first batch are effected - ie. no cars will have factory reverse cameras fitted - which I think was the advice someone else put up previously.

Steve
21-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that's roughly what I'd heard, too.

I'm pretty pissed off at VW Australia. First they've told me I can't add the Dynaudio option because my car was being built and was expected to arrive in June (which it is, I guess, but it's now sounding like I'm probably not getting it in June). I could, however, order another car and have it delivered a few months later. I decided it wasn't a big deal and wasn't worth waiting two or three months longer.

Now they've artificially delayed delivery until the time I was told my reordered car would be delivered, and forgotten to put the reversing camera on the first car anyway!

I want Dynaudio and the camera... and proper Bluetooth :(

If I get a similar phone call, and I'm assuming I will, I'll have a chat with the dealer and figure out what we - or, specifically, VW Australia, can do about their screw up. The dealer has been great so far, so hopefully she can suss something out for me.

Vene
21-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Hope this doesn't affect the second shipment......

RWK
21-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Hope this doesn't affect the second shipment......

I have already told you guys about the official launch date thingo and no car will be delivered before this date but none of you wanted to believe in this.
Hope VWA will get this sorted asap. Otherwise cancel the order is the only way to go.

Steve
21-05-2008, 02:49 PM
It's not that we didn't believe, we were all being told completely different stuff from our dealers :|

Vene
21-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, mine's still on track for an end of June delivery....all options and accessories included. The dealer's manifest has it due in the showroom last week of June. Maybe there's a slight delay for other states but no indication they're holding it back for Sydney.

Wolves1877
21-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, mine's still on track for an end of June delivery....all options and accessories included. The dealer's manifest has it due in the showroom last week of June. Maybe there's a slight delay for other states but no indication they're holding it back for Sydney.

My Sydney dealer has shown me an email that all of their dealerships received from VWA telling them that all cars will be held until after the official launch date. So I'd pretty sure that every dealer, nationwide, will be under the same order. I think you can forget June delivery.

Vene
21-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Ok here's the deal peoples and hopefully it'll end this silly little debate we've all been dragged into. Dealers which have cars on order and flagged as sold will be allowed to release the car pre-official launch. Cars ordered recently will be held off till after the official launch......sometime in August I gather. So go work out if yours falls in under the first category......if it does then you're home free.

It'll be more exclusive this way......handful or R36s on the road till August.

OPVW
21-05-2008, 04:01 PM
I've not read through this entire thread but here's a dealers perspective...

There's rumour from various sources that there are some R36's already in the country but VGA (Volkswagen Group Australia) are holding off on releasing them to dealers/customers until later in the year. They won't confirm this with us and nor are they able to tell us exact arrival times or launch dates.

You'd be amazed at how much even senior management at VGA dont know about what is planned at this relative late stage. It seems there are some decisions still being made in the motherland that affect the release of this car.

Don't even try and guess the drama we're experiencing trying to get details on the CC!

As for dealers may or may not be saying about your enquiries or orders. We haven't been given our allocation yet so we don't know what we can supply and therefore don't know when either. We accept orders and use this to try and negotiate our allocations with the appropriate state managers. It's not an easy situation to be in but we do our best...well....I do anyway :)

VW Convert
21-05-2008, 04:10 PM
We accept orders and use this to try and negotiate our allocations with the appropriate state managers. It's not an easy situation to be in but we do our best...well....I do anyway :)

Thanks for giving us a dealer's perspective sounds like a difficult situation to be in. I feel it doesn't say much about the way the VAG group does business. There have been numerous posts on this forum about poor service caused by either the organisational structure or culture within VAG. Leaves me with the feeling rightly or wrongly that they don't really give a stuff.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

George

R36 Dreamer
21-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok here's the deal peoples and hopefully it'll end this silly little debate we've all been dragged into. Dealers which have cars on order and flagged as sold will be allowed to release the car pre-official launch. Cars ordered recently will be held off till after the official launch......sometime in August I gather. So go work out if yours falls in under the first category......if it does then you're home free.

It'll be more exclusive this way......handful or R36s on the road till August.

I fit under the first category and have been told today this will not be the case (despite being told differently previously).

Just out of interest which dealer are you using?

Wyatt
21-05-2008, 04:25 PM
We haven't been given our allocation yet so we don't know what we can supply and therefore don't know when either. We accept orders and use this to try and negotiate our allocations with the appropriate state managers. It's not an easy situation to be in but we do our best...well....I do anyway :)

What's this talk about an "allocation"? Aren't these cars built as per the client's order? I was told that my car was being built as we speak and that my car was scheduled for shipping on June 22nd. Are you saying that this may not be "my" car but that it could end up in another dealer's "allocation"?

If so, why do we pre-order a car? I would think that there'd be no need for "negotiating" with state managers in this situation.

As to the date VWAG release the cars after they arrive in the country - well, that's another issue. But I would certainly hope that I'd be receiving the car that I'd pre-ordered as soon as it was physically possible.

Wolves1877
21-05-2008, 04:50 PM
What's this talk about an "allocation"? Aren't these cars built as per the client's order?

That's what I thought but when I spoke to my dealer on Monday he mentioned that he's already had two interstate dealers call him to try and get hold of "my" car. He said it happens all the time with dealers negotiating to get hold of other dealers/clients cars.

VW Convert
21-05-2008, 05:02 PM
That's what I thought but when I spoke to my dealer on Monday he mentioned that he's already had two interstate dealers call him to try and get hold of "my" car. He said it happens all the time with dealers negotiating to get hold of other dealers/clients cars.

Happened to me, ordered in early April for delivery end of June, was allocated a car that was on the boat after compromising on options. Went in to dealer to finalise arrangements a week before it was due only to be told it had only just come off the line. Took delivery in September......absolutely certain that someone else got the car that was allocated to me.

Lots of shenanigans with VW and their dealers!

Cheers

George

Wolves1877
21-05-2008, 05:06 PM
it's these types of experiences that make me wonder whether I should stick with Audi and get the new A4 3.2 Quattro, but the Avant version won't be available until next year.

Steve
21-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I reckon. Sell everything I own and buy a new RS6... HMM j:

Wolves1877
21-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I'd be happy with an RS4 but the monthly repayment work out at over $3k on a 5 year lease!!!!

OPVW
21-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Allocation is pretty easy.

Volkswagen Australia have to order 'x' amount of units for all sorts of reasons ..at last check it was around 200. I think this is the same for most manufacturers introducing a new model. Anyhow VGA order a multitude of cars for the country with a view to farm them out to dealers. Its up to us then to accept orders and do the following.
Place a factory order to ensure the car is being built as requested by the customer. If Volkswagen Australia then release details about our allocation and we find that we have a car being sent to us that matches a factory order we give the customer the option to have the same car they have ordered sooner.
With some new models we can order well in advance of the cars becoming public knowledge. I believe this was the case with the R50 and R36 and so we ordered several for our selves so that when orders starting coming in we knew exactly what we could supply in the inital launch phase.

Hope that makes sense...its a lot simpler than it seems. Let me know if you have questions though :-) It simply comes down to us (at least at our dealership) trying to do everything we can to shorten you wait time for the car you want. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. In any case, if you have ordered a car then it is your car and only you have the option to pass it up for something sooner or later.

R36 Dreamer
21-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Allocation is pretty easy.

Place a factory order to ensure the car is being built as requested by the customer. If Volkswagen Australia then release details about our allocation and we find that we have a car being sent to us that matches a factory order we give the customer the option to have the same car they have ordered sooner.

Thats not how I understand the process.

My car as ordered (which the dealer has given me the VIN for) was originally a biscay blue wagon with an auto roof.

I wanted a sunroof as well. The dealer advised that the order was submitted to VWA, and that the spec's I wanted could be changed up until VWA placed the order for my car with VWAG (end of Feb).

The same was the case with my GTI.

I know you are a dealer, however what you are saying is in direct contrast to what I have been told by my dealer - is he telling lies?

R36 Dreamer
21-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Thats not how I understand the process.

My car as ordered (which the dealer has given me the VIN for) was originally a biscay blue wagon with an auto roof.

I wanted a sunroof as well. The dealer advised that the order was submitted to VWA, and that the spec's I wanted could be changed up until VWA placed the order for my car with VWAG (end of Feb).

The same was the case with my GTI.

I know you are a dealer, however what you are saying is in direct contrast to what I have been told by my dealer - is he telling lies?

I was also told there are only 2 R36's left in the current production run available for sale - a black and a silver one. Just in case anyone is interested. not sure on the specs or even if they are sedans or wagons.

OPVW
21-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Orders placed in our NADCON ordering system 'sometimes' allow for modification of pretty much any factory option...roof..colour...trim etc etc.

At the time of order we sometimes get a VIN straight away...other times it can take up to a week.

Lets look at some examples...it's not a case of right or wrong...just different scenarios...eg.

------
You go to do dealer
you order car
dealer orders car
Factory receives order
factory builds car
dealer gets car
you get car

------

now what if it went this way

dealer orders car
factory builds car
you go to dealer
you order car
dealer has car
you get car
-------------------
now for allocation

volkswagen aust orders car
factory builds car
volkswagen aust gets car
option 1)
dealer wants car for stock
dealer orders car
dealer has car assigned to them
you got to dealer
dealer has car
you get car
option 2)
you go to dealer
you order car
order is placed
dealer calls volkswagen australia
dealer finds car that matches your order
dealer gets car
you get car

there are other situations but these are the most common.

In all cases though. If you order a car. Yes it is built for you. Its only if you want it sooner than the expected wait time that we have to look into other options. :)

Wyatt
21-05-2008, 06:41 PM
This sounds like a pretty good explanation. Thanks!

VW Convert
21-05-2008, 06:47 PM
This sounds like a pretty good explanation. Thanks!

But doesn't explain why my car disappeared into the abyss!

Cheers

George

R36 Dreamer
21-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Orders placed in our NADCON ordering system 'sometimes' allow for modification of pretty much any factory option...roof..colour...trim etc etc.

At the time of order we sometimes get a VIN straight away...other times it can take up to a week.

Lets look at some examples...it's not a case of right or wrong...just different scenarios...eg.

------
You go to do dealer
you order car
dealer orders car
Factory receives order
factory builds car
dealer gets car
you get car

------

now what if it went this way

dealer orders car
factory builds car
you go to dealer
you order car
dealer has car
you get car
-------------------
now for allocation

volkswagen aust orders car
factory builds car
volkswagen aust gets car
option 1)
dealer wants car for stock
dealer orders car
dealer has car assigned to them
you got to dealer
dealer has car
you get car
option 2)
you go to dealer
you order car
order is placed
dealer calls volkswagen australia
dealer finds car that matches your order
dealer gets car
you get car

there are other situations but these are the most common.

In all cases though. If you order a car. Yes it is built for you. Its only if you want it sooner than the expected wait time that we have to look into other options. :)

Thanks for the detailed info.

Wyatt
21-05-2008, 07:07 PM
But doesn't explain why my car disappeared into the abyss!

Sadly it does not. I think I'd be pretty put out if I thought I had a car (even though it wasn't exactly what I was after) and then they told me I didn't have it.

lswinkel
21-05-2008, 10:53 PM
If VWA ends up holding as mentioned, I will be doing my utmost to cancel my order. I was already borderline between an R36 and the new STI(i know.... flame suit on), this would push me back the other way. I really cant see a reason why the must do it. Oh well time will tell

R36 Dreamer
22-05-2008, 10:04 AM
If VWA ends up holding as mentioned, I will be doing my utmost to cancel my order. I was already borderline between an R36 and the new STI(i know.... flame suit on), this would push me back the other way. I really cant see a reason why the must do it. Oh well time will tell

Just received the following email.

Good morning Jonathan,

I have just been advised from Volkswagen that all the sold R36 vehicles will be released to customers as soon as they arrive to the dealership,

So if everything goes to plan we should have your R36 the third week of June,

Regards,

WTF is going on!!! only yesterday I was told August!!

Steve
22-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Haha... they have no idea :)

VW Convert
22-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Just received the following email.

Good morning Jonathan,

I have just been advised from Volkswagen that all the sold R36 vehicles will be released to customers as soon as they arrive to the dealership,

Regards,

WTF is going on!!! only yesterday I was told August!!

As the US military would say.......S.N.A.F.U j:

Alternately left hand has no idea what right hand is doing! j:

Cheers

George

VW Convert
22-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Maybe it's time to start running a book on when these cars are eventually delivered? Any bookies on the forum? j:

Cheers

George

OPVW
22-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Good morning Jonathan,

Whoah...now I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I find this REALLY hard to believe. I have a feeling I know why they would think this though. I'll PM you.

OPVW
22-05-2008, 10:25 AM
VWConvert --- I'd have to read back through everything so instead...if you PM with details about what you ordered and when and the subsequent story you've been told I'll try and make heads and tails of it for you :-)

R36
22-05-2008, 04:02 PM
VWConvert --- I'd have to read back through everything so instead...if you PM with details about what you ordered and when and the subsequent story you've been told I'll try and make heads and tails of it for you :-)

Hi,

I ordered my R36 in July 2007 fully optioned. I have been told by my dealer this week that it should arrive in Australia around 15 June and I should have it delivered before 30 June.

I rang VWA customer service last week to check if they were delaying R36 deliveries until an official release date (August?) and they neither confirmed, nor denied it - but rather referred me back to the dealer for the estimated delivery date!

My questions are:
1. Will delivery be in June or August?
2. Is the first Australian batch missing the reversing camera? If so, will they be retrofitted before delivery?

Thanks

Vene
22-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I ordered my R36 in July 2007 fully optioned. I have been told by my dealer this week that it should arrive in Australia around 15 June and I should have it delivered before 30 June.

I rang VWA customer service last week to check if they were delaying R36 deliveries until an official release date (August?) and they neither confirmed, nor denied it - but rather referred me back to the dealer for the estimated delivery date!

My questions are:

2. Is the first Australian batch missing the reversing camera? If so, will they be retrofitted before delivery?

Thanks

Sounds to me like your car is in the same ship as mine. The answer for both questions in my case is 'No' so I'd say you're safe.

Vene
22-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Check this out http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=1146

Yummy......$2k for the package ain't that bad.

Steve
22-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Mine hits Melbourne on Saturday... I'm expecting it three-ish weeks later and haven't heard otherwise so far.

Regarding the camera, my dealer said that VW Australia are trying to find a solution - hopefully that involves putting a camera in. I know other head units can have them fitted, how hard can it be to fit one to the factory head unit?

GTom
22-05-2008, 06:46 PM

How long does it normally take a dealer to get a VIN?

theplanner
22-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi,

My questions are:

Thanks

You know if you got the VIN from your dealer you can track the ship's movements. It sounds like my car is on the same boat as yours, cos it is due to arrive in Brissy on the 17 June.

Northy
23-05-2008, 02:14 PM
just spoke to my dealer, and asked him a few pressing quiesitons, they still have it set for delivery in 3-4 weeks and they have not been told that are holding the cars....the plot thickens.

Vene
23-05-2008, 04:15 PM
What plot? Its already been clarified......VWA is not holding back preordered cars.

OPVW
23-05-2008, 04:28 PM
How long does it normally take a dealer to get a VIN?

Depends on a few variables...mostly the factories logistic team. I'd say that within a fortnight at absolute most!

Vene
23-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Just a minor point which I'm sure you guys are already aware of......I'd hold off on any dealer fitted accessories until after the car is delivered (ie bluetooth, tinting, etc). No point paying more LCT if we don't have to.....!!!

Steve
25-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Hm... the WW tracking website says my car is destined for Melbourne, and that the Trinidad left Melbourne some time today on its way to Port Kembla.

It doesn't mention anything about my car being off loaded, though. Does it sometimes take a while for that to be updated? I can't remember what happened when the GTI was on the ship. I hope they haven't left it on board :)

R36 Dreamer
26-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Hm... the WW tracking website says my car is destined for Melbourne, and that the Trinidad left Melbourne some time today on its way to Port Kembla.

It doesn't mention anything about my car being off loaded, though. Does it sometimes take a while for that to be updated? I can't remember what happened when the GTI was on the ship. I hope they haven't left it on board :)

When I ran my VIN through with the GTI, it came up pretty much straight away, with the time and date it was scanned off the ship....

gregozedobe
26-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Just a minor point which I'm sure you guys are already aware of......I'd hold off on any dealer fitted accessories until after the car is delivered (ie bluetooth, tinting, etc). No point paying more LCT if we don't have to.....!!!

Also saves paying state stamp duty on those extras :)

Steve
26-05-2008, 09:50 AM
When I ran my VIN through with the GTI, it came up pretty much straight away, with the time and date it was scanned off the ship....
Here we go. It took ~24 hours to show up on the tracking page...

DISCHARGED MELBOURNE 25/05/2008 07:40

:D

Vene
26-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Looking forward to first drive impressions......my dealer should have a demo car around mid June so I'll post my thoughts once I've had a chance to test drive.

OilBurna
26-05-2008, 11:07 AM
good luck vene - enjoy - need a passenger hehehehe

OPVW
27-05-2008, 12:54 PM
To me this means that it was sent from the wharf to the holding yard. It will stay there until Volkswagen say it can be released to your dealer. I'll keep an eye on what updates you post and see if I can make sense of it for you.

Here we go. It took ~24 hours to show up on the tracking page...

DISCHARGED MELBOURNE 25/05/2008 07:40

Steve
27-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, that's how I read it, too. I'm guessing it's now with or has passed through Patrick Autocare - but I can't find a way to track it with them using the information I have (VIN and WW booking/bill numbers).

I haven't heard anything more from my dealer, but she's promised to let me know any updates. She's said to expect it in my driveway three weeks or so after it arrives in Australia unless I hear otherwise...!

OPVW
27-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Again...as I don't want to see you get your hopes up. I too would say around 3 weeks to be processed and sent to the dealership by Patricks. The problem is that unless Volkswagen tell Patricks it's ok to release them to the dealership they wont. So...for any car thats on the market....3 weeks is a good figure to use. In this instance I don't think it's the case. Particularly since I know of a few R36's that have been in the country for more than 3 weeks already... :?

Steve
27-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, we'll see what happens I guess.

If you think I'm being optimistic, I am... you should see me on the golf course! "At least my divot is pointing in the right direction!" :D :D

Wolves1877
27-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Latest update from my dealer:

"...people are speculating the launch based on previous experience. R36 is not a new product line up like Tiguan. Therefore there are no plans to have these cars held with VWA for 4 months. I have forwarded your email to Dean Evangelista from VWA to re-iterate this. I’ll inform you of his reply shortly.

I have 6 cars arriving in Australia on the 29th of this month but I don’t expect them to be released until late July at this stage. I’ll keep you informed as I get the information myself."

So it seems that VWA aren't giving the dealerships any kind of guidance as to what is going on, meaning that everyone is simply their own assumptions and drawing their own conclusions. Seems strange how they managed to determine the price of the car so quickly, yet can't even work out when they are going to make it available to us.

Vene
27-05-2008, 03:54 PM
It doesn't make sense.....on one hand they're saying its not a new model and should not experience any hold up......and on the other they're saying its going to be held back till end of July. WTF.

OPVW
28-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Now imagine the amount of phone calls and emails and faxes we get from people with R36's on order and how frustrating it is not being able to give them clear answers. Doesn't make life easy that's for us. promise I'll pass on details as they come to hand people :)

alcoop
30-05-2008, 10:18 AM
My brother is looking to get a R36. I thought these were released in the UK a couple of months ago however cant find any UK reviews, forum topics or anything from actual owners of the car.

Have you guys got any links you can share with me from any actual owners?

Cheers

Wyatt
30-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I posted a link in this thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=15841) this morning. It's the first actual driving review I've seen.

Deedub68
30-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I posted a link in this thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=15841) this morning. It's the first actual driving review I've seen.

"The ride is pretty knobbly and the dampers are firm, something that’s noticeable even on the motorway. A little more compliance wouldn’t go amiss here. "

So if it's "knobbly" on a British motorway, what's it going to be like on the goat tracks we Aussies like to call roads, I wonder...?

deedub

OilBurna
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
might be worth waiting for the CC if any rumour the v6 with 220kw also will be priced at 65k. Also gets the nicer seats I think.

Steve
01-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I'd love a CC but need a wagon :(

Deedub68
03-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Got my VIN and engine number today:cool:

Arrival late June into Oz and delivery to me mid-July.

I am a happy, happy man...:D

Deedub

Wyatt
03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
When did you place your order, Deedub?

Deedub68
03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
When did you place your order, Deedub?

Order was placed 22 May, but my dealer was very careful to ensure I received one of the first shipments. He made it clear that if I did not order one of the few remaining incoming vehicles from the first shipment I would have to wait for the next shipment (at the time there were only 6 left for the entire country).

deedub

Wyatt
03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
I ordered mine on 12 April but the Aust. arrival date is not scheduled until 22 July with delivery to me in mid-August.

You've done well to receive yours so quickly! We expect a lot of reviews and photos from you lucky early owners.

lswinkel
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Mines sitting at Port Kembla at the moment, so if all goes well I should be able to give everyone some details in a few weeks. Waiting on my dealer to confirm when they can get the car to me.

R36 Dreamer
05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Mines sitting at Port Kembla at the moment, so if all goes well I should be able to give everyone some details in a few weeks. Waiting on my dealer to confirm when they can get the car to me.

I have been given a June 16 Delivery date.

I queried when I would be able to first view the car. The dealer advised that there will be a R36 wagon in their showroom being delivered on Friday - I wonder who the lucky lucky bugger is!!

Vene
05-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Maybe its a demo/showroom car......

R36 Dreamer
05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Maybe its a demo/showroom car......

Dealer said it was sold - told me I could come in and have a look, but that the new owner was picking it up on Friday...

Vene
05-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Wow......didn't think they'd be out so soon? I was expecting mid June for the first delivery.

Mine's still on track for late June.

Steve
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Friday as in tomorrow?

Lucky bastard!

I haven't heard when I'll be able to pick mine up yet... my dealer is out of town and gets back tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get a phone call on Saturday saying "come up with eighty grand by Friday!" or something :) :)

alcoop
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
There is one at Mascot I know of, is that the dealer your talking about?

R36 Dreamer
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
There is one at Mascot I know of, is that the dealer your talking about?

Maybe......

alcoop
06-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe......

Whats the big secret? Its just a car.

Anyway there is a Black R36 in the Mascot Barloworld dealership available to look at if anyones interested, going to see it tomorrow.

R36
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM

Anyway there is a Black R36 in the Mascot Barloworld dealership available to look at if anyones interested, going to see it tomorrow.

The wait is almost over - the R36 has also arrived in Brisbane and even my wife had a test drive. Austral VW had a blue wagon demonstrator and a black wagon available for sale. Both these wagons being from the first Australian batch were missing reversing cameras. Mine should be arriving in the country next week and delivered before the end of the month, hopefully with the reversing camera.

Cro
07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I FINALLY saw one today, a customers pre-delivered Black Sedan (Sunroof, Dynaudio, Sat Nav, but no CD Changer) at Barloworld Five Dock. The salesman was very obliging to let me have a look at the R36, sit inside and even turn it on. If it's one of your guys cars, FYI it had 20km on the clock but it still needed to be washed and have the rest of the pre-delivery stuff done to it.

The first thing I noticed after sitting inside was the brilliant steering wheel, it doesn't look like much but it has the most perfect shape I have felt so far. It has perfect thickness, and contours in all the right places especially at the 9-3 oclock positions. The paddles are perfect for index finger changes and the view of the instrument cluster is very good.
The seats are very supportive, however I am bordering being too big for them (120kg's, 190cm). If I put on anymore weight I'll be uncomfortable, especially around the thigh region. The bolsters were adjusted all the way out, which was perfect and I tried a tighter setting which I guess would be comfortable for a quick stint up a windy road or a session at the track.
The Xenon lights are awesome, we were in a poorly lit warehouse and the spread of the beam looked good. Unsure of the cornering capabilities, as the salesman told me they don't corner under 40km/h.
I checked out the rear seat, and the room offered behind me and there is loads of it. It truly is a more spacious car (lengthwise anyway) than my old XR6T. Width wise though, I'm not sure if it would be comfortable if I put a baby seat in the middle. Looks like I'll have to put it on the passenger side. Having said that I don't often carry passengers in the back so this will rarely be an issue.
When I turned the car on it was almost silent, a few revs (under 3000rpm) didn't invoke too much noise at all. I guess there is a butterfly valve or something else that opens up the exhaust over 3000rpm. That is the only expalnation I can offer for the video's we've seen so far.

The one thing that I didn't like was the tyres. They have Dunlop Sport 01's which are an absolute pathetic excuse for a tyre. I was hoping the R36 would be fitted with some Pirelli Rosso's, Dunlop SP Max's or Continental SC2's.
The last time I test drove an R32 with these tyres it didn't take me too long to find the limits and get the car in all sorts of trouble (ESP off). A week later I test drove another one with Dunlop SP Max's, and this R32 was almost on rails. I have a complete hate for all Dunlop tyres, so that is saying something.

I was hoping to get some decent tyres on the R36 so I could wear them down on the track, and some driver training courses before I put the Michelin PS2's on. At $590 a corner they are not something I'd be taking on the track too often...

Over all, I cant wait for my R36!!! I am going to have some serious fun with this car :)

Steve
07-06-2008, 05:22 PM
That's not good news re: the ****ty tyres.

I heard from my dealer today, my R36 is expected to arrive at the dealer's place in the coming week. It's looking like I'll get it either on the weekend, or the following week. I'll find out on Tuesday, I guess...

FJ Steve
07-06-2008, 05:32 PM
So...was anyone tracking their R36 VIN? How long did it take to clear Customs after being offloaded at Port Kembla?

Mmmatt
10-06-2008, 11:57 PM

I am new to this forum, but that is my Black R36 and I pick it up tomorrow.

Excellent!!!

Will look great in the garage next to the red Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T!!

Steve
11-06-2008, 12:00 AM
^--- Jealous.

Where the hell is mine? :(

R36 Dreamer
11-06-2008, 08:15 AM
God the wait is starting to hurt.

I am picking mine up at this stage on Monday 16th June, if not before.

Have been trying to not think about it, but am really starting to get excited.

Have become a internet junkie, checking this site often, and searching Google for any more info

Steve thank you for putting up so many reviews, it has taken the edge off.

Anyway I have tried to fill my weekend with stuff to do to get the mind on matters other than the R36. Even my missus is keen on arrival - but maybe that is so I will stop thinking about it!!

Anyway roll on Monday.

Once delivered I will post up some pics etc. but will probably wait until after the windows are tinted.... for maximum effect.

Steve
11-06-2008, 10:47 AM
I still haven't heard about mine... hmph.

No worries re: the YouTube videos... I get bored at work :)

Also, it looks like the R36 is now available in white, but only in conjunction with a sunroof. A few other things have changed in the specifications PDF, too.

Cro
11-06-2008, 11:28 AM
They also took away the towing specifications..
They were 750kg unbraked, and 2200kg braked. Now just TBA.

lswinkel
11-06-2008, 02:14 PM
just heard from my dealer today, can pick the car up this Friday. Of all the times to go away for the weekend grrr. However at this stage will pick up on Sunday, will let everyone know how it goes......cant wait.

Deedub68
11-06-2008, 02:44 PM
My new baby arrives in Melbourne on 13 June...approx 3 weeks for Adelaide delivery and pre-delivery and then she's allll mine...:D:D:D

Think I might organise a business trip to the Coonawarra the week after she arrives...:cool:

deedub

VW Convert
11-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Think I might organise a business trip to the Coonawarra the week after she arrives...:cool:

deedub

Now that's a great idea if I ever heard one! j:

Cheers

George

Steve
11-06-2008, 05:24 PM
My new baby arrives in Melbourne on 13 June...approx 3 weeks for Adelaide delivery and pre-delivery and then she's allll mine...:D:D:D

deedub
Mine arrived in Melbourne about three weeks ago but I haven't got a definite date for delivery yet.

I'm heading up to the Clare Valley soon after getting it - gotta stock up on some riesling and cabernet! :)

Deedub68
11-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Mine arrived in Melbourne about three weeks ago but I haven't got a definite date for delivery yet.

Really? My dealer indicated mid-July delivery (no exact date and would not provide one until the car was officially in the country).

Better not get my hopes up...:???:

deedub

R36 Dreamer
12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Just visited the dealer - my car is on the showroom floor.

Looks absolutely great.

Am even more excited now.....

It was parked next to a 3.2 Wagon, and looks so much better, the Blue really suits it.

Picking it up on Sunday (am going away tonight until Sunday Morning).

Has 17kms on it.

Mine has Dunlop Tyres also - but a full size matching alloy in the boot! that is unheard of in euro cars these days.

Looking forward to sunday!!

Steve
12-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Mine's only just arrived in Adelaide today, so it's looking like next Wednesday at the earliest...!

No news re: reversing camera yet, but my dealer hopes/expects that a dealer fitted "Premium Bluetooth" with complete RNS510 integration will be available in a month or so.

Cro
12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Congratulations :)
I don't suppose you know exactly which dunlop tyres your car has?
The Sport Maxx's are decent tyres, whilst the Sport 01's are the ones that crap

R36 Dreamer
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Congratulations :)
I don't suppose you know exactly which dunlop tyres your car has?
The Sport Maxx's are decent tyres, whilst the Sport 01's are the ones that crap

It is the Sport 01's......

Cro
12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Bugger, time to order the PS2's...

LowVeeDub
12-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I drove our Demo one of these today. Holy ****..:o To whoever has ordered one, The wait was so worth it. You will be very impressed. Happy driving sixers..;)

R36 Dreamer
12-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I drove our Demo one of these today. Holy ****..:o To whoever has ordered one, The wait was so worth it. You will be very impressed. Happy driving sixers..;)

Just as a side note. I cannot recommend Barloworld in Mascot highly enough.

this is my second purchase from them, and they always go above and beyond for their clients.

Dennis Barbagios is simply great.

Dealers can be difficult at times, and I can be difficult at times. Overall both experiences (purchase and after sales service) have been top notch.

Just thought it should rate a mention.

Steve
12-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Just thought it should rate a mention.

Similarly, Kate Lawton has changed my opinion of Solitaire Volkswagen. She's bloody fantastic.

SmutsGTI
12-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Must say Dennis was very helpful, told me what cars were available in OZ ( 2 as it happened ). My fleet company go with Nepean but we bought my wifes car came from Barloworld, pity the service department is absolutely ****e!. I won't be servicing my car there even though i live within walking distance, i'll use the guys at kogarah / sutherland

Smuts

R36 Dreamer
12-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Must say Dennis was very helpful, told me what cars were available in OZ ( 2 as it happened ). My fleet company go with Nepean but we bought my wifes car came from Barloworld, pity the service department is absolutely ****e!. I won't be servicing my car there even though i live within walking distance, i'll use the guys at kogarah / sutherland

Smuts

Thats surprising Smuts, I have had nothing but good dealings.

that said I have only serviced the last car twice, and had only minor delivery issues which were sorted straight away.

In my experience they have been good - better than BMW, Holden or Saab, who are the others I have dealt with.

Cro
12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Dennis is one of the best salesmen I've ever dealt with. He told me about the R36 the day he found out about it, but unfortunately told me he couldn't deal with SMB on my behalf.
I wish I could have bought the car off him, perhaps I would be taking delivery this weekend as opposed to later this month...

Mmmatt
14-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Just my 2 cents... Barloworld Mascot are friendly guys, but hardly professional.

My R36 was due for delivery August 15. Last saturday (seriously) they called to say it had arrived!! Like cars just materialise in front of peoples' eyes?? ! No, actually they're shipped from another continent and take a long time to get here!!

A little notice would have been nice. Seriously unprofessional.

Second, the car came in the wrong colour! I had ordered dark grey and it came in black. Lucky it looked better (I'd made the wrong choice in the first place) so I was happy to take it.

Finally, no reversing camera!

I also have an Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T (2005 model) which I bought from Audi Centre Rosebery. They were far far more professional in the way they handled the entire sales process.

I think Barloworld are trying to come to terms with the fact that VW is morphing into a luxury car manufacturer. The above service might be fine for run of the mill, golf / polo type sales, but for a premium vehicle it simply doesn't cut it.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW took the R36 to Canberra for work trip the last 2 days... it is a SERIOUSLY amazing vehicle. :biggrin:

Cro
16-06-2008, 08:36 AM
The next shipment has arrived in Sydney, mine got unloaded at 01:48 this morning and the ship has already set sail :)

Here's hoping we get them before June 30. :driver:

Northy
16-06-2008, 08:49 AM
The next shipment has arrived in Sydney, mine got unloaded at 01:48 this morning and the ship has already set sail :)

Here's hoping we get them before June 30. :driver:

going to be cutting it fine....mine arrived here at the docks on the 1st and I take delivery this week. Im pretty sure steve is in the same boat.

R36 Dreamer
16-06-2008, 09:20 AM
going to be cutting it fine....mine arrived here at the docks on the 1st and I take delivery this week. Im pretty sure steve is in the same boat.

Mine arrived in Sydney on the 29th May, and was ready for pickup on the
12th June - though I didnt pick it up till the 15th.

Steve
16-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Sort of... mine arrived in Melbourne on the 24th and I'm expecting it this week - it didn't arrive in Adelaide until last Thursday :duh:

Edit: I just went to get my Commodore valued for a trade in. While I was there, a truck pulled up with an R36 on the back. The dealer and I both thought it was mine, but it was a demo. Mine is now due "some time this week" so that's alright I guess.

Deedub68
16-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Mine was scheduled to arrive in Melbourne on 13 June...still waiting on an ETA from the dealer.

R36 Dreamer's first impressions have NOT made the wait any easier!!!

Deedub

Deedub68
16-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Mine was scheduled to arrive in Melbourne on 13 June...still waiting on an ETA from the dealer.

R36 Dreamer's first impressions have NOT made the wait any easier!!!

Deedub

Update...Discharged Melbourne 14/6/08!!!!

Woohoo

In your experience, what sort of delay from unloading to actual delivery am I looking at. Dealer indicated approx 3 weeks: is this a fair estimate?

Steve
16-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Confirmed... 10am Wednesday :D:D:D:D

Northy
16-06-2008, 09:29 PM

you suck haha

here are a few pics of mine I snapped on the weekend. There was also another wagon and 2 sedans

http://www.cnorth.com.au/photos/R36/pre01.JPG
http://www.cnorth.com.au/photos/R36/pre02.JPG

Steve
16-06-2008, 09:30 PM
404's.. nice :)

Deedub68
16-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Congrats Steve...sure I'll see you tearing around somewhere...I guess there are gonna be at least 2 Biscay Blue R36's on the streets of Adelaide!

deedub

Steve
16-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Congrats Steve...sure I'll see you tearing around somewhere...I guess there are gonna be at least 2 Biscay Blue R36's on the streets of Adelaide!

deedub
Maybe... as soon as this car gets here I'm going to be flat out at work! I'll definitely wave when I see you though - you should even take it on the next local VW Watercooled cruise to somewhere interesting... although I've had enough of the German Experience... j:

Give me a week or two and I will be taking it for a quick blast up to Clare to collect some wine and see some friends... and I guess it'll get a bit of a work out on Wednesday :)

Here's the Commodore I'm trading next to an R36 that isn't quite mine...

http://parabola.mig15.net/%7Esteven/ther36.jpg

BlackR36Wagon
27-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I was initially told June when I ordered mine back in February, then July, then August, then three weeks ago September, and then 2 weeks ago that it has arrived and I can pick it up. So I did last week and it is amazing. Sound is too good to use a radio. I am not accelerating fully yet, but I beleive it is a sub 6 second car.