PDA

View Full Version : Heat Insulated Tinted Windows R36

theplanner
11-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I am still tossing whether to tint my R36 or not as they come standard with heat insulated tinted windows. Can anyone please shed some light on the performance of the standard glass?

mr_walker
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I think that's the standard glass they fit to all VW's. My Jetta had the same. Might be classed as a "tint" in Europe, but it doesn't stand up over here. I tinted to the darkest legal limit.

Walker

3Putt
12-05-2008, 07:50 AM
I got aftermarket Solartint, with max legal / max infrared tint.

Makes a significant (but still not enough) difference in my black Passat.

Still bloody hot to get into if its been in the sun. At least not ovenlike though.

BTW, the VW black paint is downright dangerous. I don't know how they have done it, but it seems to be ten times worse than other blacks. I have actually burnt the back of my hand by touching it while it was in the sun back in January!

Anyone need to fry an egg?!

R36 Dreamer
12-05-2008, 08:12 AM
I got aftermarket Solartint, with max legal / max infrared tint.

Makes a significant (but still not enough) difference in my black Passat.

Still bloody hot to get into if its been in the sun. At least not ovenlike though.

BTW, the VW black paint is downright dangerous. I don't know how they have done it, but it seems to be ten times worse than other blacks. I have actually burnt the back of my hand by touching it while it was in the sun back in January!

Anyone need to fry an egg?!

I go with 15% tint all around. 35% is the darkest legal, but I find that 15% works a lot better, and have tinted 4 cars in this way.

You will get the usual "Insurance companies wont pay if you have an accident", but in my experience that is absolute rubbish.

My only advice is if you do a lot of night driving then perhaps this isn't the best option, as it can be difficult reversing with the dark tints.

IMHO the darker tints look better, keep the car significantly cooler, and are not dangerous in any way.

As an aside, I got a phone call on Friday from VW trying to sell me window tints ($400), paint protection ($795) and Leather protection ($400).

Considering it only costs $280 to have the car tinted, I politely declined. Also figured that as I only keep the car 3 years, the leather and paint protection was too much $$$

Has anyone had this done?

Vene
12-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I'll prob tint it but won't go with any leather/paint protection. Its not necessary....just another way for dealer to make more money.

richdave
12-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I dont want to appear to be advertising but I used Tint Professor as they were inexpensive and reliable. Have had a number of cars done by them for under $300.00.

They also have (IMO) a bulletproof warranty too.

Flipper Dog
12-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Window tint is well under $300 for Passat/Jetta, something like my Touareg was $280 from the same tint shop most dealers (sorry stealers) use but charge twice the price.
Interior protection (cloth seats and carpet) a can or 3 of scotchgard every 6 months or so.....read the find print on the contract and you will see your car needs regular "treatments".
Paint protection, you can buy the stuff on the net for under $100 and this will do 8-10 Passat size vehilces. Does require some work applying but not that hard. Reapply at 6 months and this will last the life of your ownership.
Leather protection, try any good furniture shop...it is after all the same leather. You can get cleaner and conditioner for $50 to $75.

Now this all adds up to say $450 to $500 with a weekends work and you will save over a grand. And you will have the gear to re-do you car or all of your mates in the future.

ope126
03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Here is a link from the Volkswagen Technical Glossary;
http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en2/experience/innovation/technical_glossary/heat_insulating_glass.index.html

gead
03-02-2010, 06:33 PM
does the heat insulation affect the radio?

ope126
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
does the heat insulation affect the radio?

No. Not to my knowledge (or experience)...