PDA

View Full Version : tassie golf

Dub Toffee
05-08-2006, 06:01 PM
hi everyone this is my little project a mk1 1980 5 dr previously known as #canary# by its last owners (because of its yellow colour)...well ive got plans to take it to the lab and from my extensive research in dna, cell steming and cloning i plan to alter the make up of the canary and transform it into a ring neck parrot..... (maybe its in honour of my decesed ring neck parrot wich was also yellow funny enough, for those in the know i guess ring necks arnt as lucky as laurakeets)...so where was i yeaa! another golf out there to ring the necks of al them nissans and hondas getting around out there hehe pretty much any excuse to put a white coat on and get it all greasy will do.

Next Post :why the grin?
find out what the ring neck is all happy about

Golf Loon
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Looking good in that bay. Not very yellow though!

gtimk5
05-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi. That would be getting a very familiar 9A Twin cam (to me anyway) right?
Will go well. Never revved, only driven properly on weekends! Cheers and good luck Benniah! :) :) :D

Dub Toffee
05-09-2006, 10:56 PM
ok i just had a week off to try and finish the car...aghhh dreaming. well i almost got close. it was the best. i have to thank Golf wise for his tech support he is so great to have down south. the little yellow golf was running up a fever in the best week of wheather ever in tassie last week...so stoked. i just wanted to get the engine in so bad i nearly comprimised on the finish of the engine bay paint work but held off to finish the strips that go down behind the engine, and i am so glad i did. i dont have alot of specs for you yet but i will do my best to give a complete list. thats right it is a 9A thanks to robinson motor sport...
the paint came from well i dont care who does? it was a bare metal respray that i achieved with a light duty sand blaster it worked so well taking off the paint in all them hard to get places that are even harder to get paint back into lol. every time i told someone that i was using a sand blaster they were like "wow! take it easy " so i did..... yep ahh..a few beers inbetween filling up the sand tank again and deffinetly between coats of paint last week.
p.s. i dont recomend mixing a few cold ones with paint fumes...it takes a while to get racing stripes looking like stripes! doh!
p.p.s. i rarely drink and drinking started after twelve o clock so im not an alchoholic.... but i cant wait till we can all go for a drive tassie boys and stop somewhere for a drink:-) ha ha

Dub Toffee
05-09-2006, 10:59 PM
sorry picture small i will work the photo thing out soon. any help anyone i couldnt get the photos of my photobucket account to load there to big even tho its the same one as i loaded last?
Cheers B

brackie
06-09-2006, 06:13 AM
If the pics aren't in jpg format, save them as such. (jpg compresses them.) bmp is huge.

If you are using a digital camera :rolleyes: then change the resolution to 640 . This saves the pic as a smaller file.

Use a graphics programme (if you have one: eg "Photoshop" or "Paintshop Pro") and in the file menu go to Export. There'll be a jpg optimiser that will allow you to compress the pics to any degree you want to.

If you don't have a graphics programme go to Google and search for "The Gimp" It's free and simple to use. ;)

Golf Loon
06-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Car looking good, taking shape.
Another 16v on the way :)

smithy010
08-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Use a graphics programme (if you have one: eg "Photoshop" or "Paintshop Pro") and in the file menu go to Export. There'll be a jpg optimiser that will allow you to compress the pics to any degree you want to.

;)

Photobucket actually has an inbuilt size reducing function, so if you don't feel like downloading all these other programs, just hit edit on the pics and resize.
:)

Dub Toffee
17-09-2006, 08:39 PM
ok thanks heaps i think i got it the option in photo bucket works a treat

Dub Toffee
02-10-2006, 07:37 PM
well here i am finaly ready to tick it over but ive had trouble getting spark.
here is some pictures of the wires. its been wire for wire not to complicated except this brown wire from the computer which used to have a lug with a 12 mm hole or so on the end of it i dont know if it was ment to be a positive or a negative. I have extended the wires from the computer to the engine by about an extra 1.5 m in an effort to keep the engine bay tidy taking a longer path around the engine i was wondering if the longer run might affect the voltage drop enough to be a problem?

MK2 GTI
02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
If it's an origional vw wire, im pretty sure brown is always earth on vw's.

h100vw
02-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I can confirm the wire is the earth for the computer. I am just doing Robins KR conversion and it has the same wire. It'll lead to sparks assuming everything else is good.

GAvin

finemk1
03-10-2006, 06:13 PM
i dont think the extended lenght will cause much voltage loss proly none at all. probably hook up a multimeter when all connected up just to make sure all main current points are sweet,
if are having troble getting spark try taking off the starter coil lead at the dizzy end and see if it sparks against the engine when cranking if its not sparking when your cranking it and then does once or twice quickly when you stop cranking it that means earth problems and or battery problems. if it is continuously sparking when cranking turn to your fuel delivery and might even be the dizzy position or get new plugs but still should kick over with the same plugs . if it is and its not getting any spark at any time during cranking time check your dizy and starter coil, ,i found my old dizy had 2 severed wires by the metal spinny thingy inside becase the wires had been pulled so on much,
16v's are the touchyest in the buch at times, but when there going properly it will love you like you will love it!

rock on that gonna be a sweet ride when u done

Dub Toffee
07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
ok here was this mk1 when i found it an old and tired 8v 1.6 with a webber it hauled but not when i first bought it of the side of the road...sometimes it pays to just see if someone wants to sell their car with a note on the windscreen and your phone number... it worked! well im sure everyone knows what an old mk1 engine bay looks like but anyway the photos there so it was realy slow and needs new wheel bearings but it had a saas steering wheel and was in good shape. when i first took it home i straight away looked at the carbie and lo and behold the accelerator wire wasnt tightened up properly so only one of the butterfly valves were openeing then me and my girlfriend took it out for a spin to our delight!! it was realy fun for a few weeks and the sports exhaust had a realy nice note as well. before i settled into the project. you might like to know my girlfriend bought an silver mk1 with a bad engine and we put my old one with the exhaust into that for her and some of the roof and bonnet musk pink just wait for the photo before you judge how stupid it sounds. anyway she drives realy hard and the engine being old she thrashed it soon after so we had to find another engine to go in it wich is now going pretty well.

Dub Toffee
07-10-2006, 12:37 PM
my girlfriends mk1

Dub Toffee
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
yep thats me doin al the work on her car too, aghhh, no ...its a lobour of love

Dub Toffee
07-10-2006, 01:06 PM
today i had to move the car for my flatmate to build his deck so i was forced to move it from its perch on the stands and get the wheels on and drop it on the ground...im getting excited now :-)

silverMK1
07-10-2006, 02:15 PM
on ur gf car. i saw the firewall cut away a little, is that to keep the choke on the webber, just cause the webber i bought off you i took the choke off it was like 2 cm away from the fireweall.

Golf_Girl
12-10-2006, 06:03 PM
my girlfriends mk1

How hot does that Golf look! Must be because it is mine! I have joined the forum to soon put up lots of pics of my little beast.

gtimk5
12-10-2006, 06:17 PM
So good to see you here at last golf girl! I am sure you will stir us up and keep us on our toes! Welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum. Better see some more pics of your silver and pink Golf. Cheers, Andrew! :D

brackie
12-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Ah.. "GolfGirl" is a lovely and welcome epithet! Let's see some pics of your Golf. And stir the guys up for all you're worth ;)

Golf_Girl
21-10-2006, 03:36 PM
I am stoked to be a member of the forum. Thanks for the warm welcome. I am super stoked with my golf. Benaiah and I put one engine in...and I still maintain that the engine was no good when I got it...not that it was driven way too hard and was put into an early grave. But it will be something that we can play around with and fix up. Will be posting some more pics soon so be sure to check them out.
Beep beep

gtimk5
31-10-2006, 06:15 AM
It was good to get the 9A running again Benaiah last night. Time now to tidy up all the loose ends mate and get that thing on the road! Oh! And don't forget the fuel line fix!!!!! Never seen a guy run for an extinguisher so fast!!!!!
(no fire thank goodness) :D
Great to catch up with you again Golf girl too! Hope you have the silver/pink beast running smooth in no time too! Cheers! :) ;)

Dub Toffee
27-11-2006, 08:37 PM
yea for all those not in the know those loose ends can become very loose when under the pressure of a fuel pump....it came to our attention that i ws paying not enough attention but some attention later and i drove the car out into the street where the circlip for the gearstick poped out and i have never experienced such a small gear shift in all my life. it was like putting my hand thru the floor haha lots of fun beep beep and the 9A says the rest roooooar!!!! :-0 :-)
things left to be completed are some steel cable ties to hold some heatproof tape over the extracters where they come close to the steering columns ruber boot, i made my own front strut brace to save dollars, plus i like a bit of the practical look rather than the magazine look. i have a problem witht he rear disc brakes sticking? not looked much into it yet except i know the cables are loose and both brakes are the same ....tight on the discs. it makes it hard to roll the car around. well it used to, i put the battery in the boot so i have to weld a bracket to hold it in place, it was easy running the cable down the passenger side of the veichle all the holes were there and it all runs straight out of the fire wall at the other end and onto the gear box very tidy as far as cables and cluter goes i lke the freeer looking engine bay, the hard part was paying for it flopen cable prices i can tell you if you want electrical work done we arnt making money on the cable anymore thats for sure, i need also to put new bushes ect into all the gear linkages ect to make it all tight. at the moment i just guessed the measurments to set the gearshift because it is so loose, i have everything except fith. so im almost on the road. Yew!!
happy driving to anyone who reads this

GoLfMan
27-11-2006, 08:55 PM
sounds like your nearly there mate :) good luck with the rest of it!