PDA

View Full Version : T3 caravelle, water in oil

gtimk5
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Got a van in yesterday with about 10 litres of oil/water in it FAs I filled the cooling system it was running out of the sump. Haven't counted the headstuds remaining on it yet but the top end was done 5 years ago. I will inform what I find. Don't think that we have any T3 owners here, have we?
Syncro, do you have one?:(

roccodingo
06-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I owned a caravelle til mid 2000 ( ex took it as part of the divorce settlement) the engine was always prone to weeping about the head/ cranckase joint.

Definately have to be on the ball with cooling system maintenance ( think it was using G12 ??) and the correct way to bleed the air out of the radiator..check the oil water intercooler BTW...mind you , the volume of water coming thru its likely a stud or the case has corroded thru..

If I still had the vehicle it would likely be running a subaru engine by now..;)

gtimk5
06-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Yep. Noticed one broken stud yesterday before I locked up. Will investigate further tomorrow> Buggers of motors for that. :(

Campaign
06-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Don't think that we have any T3 owners here, have we?

WE have one. Why do you ask?

Paul

gtimk5
07-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Just wondering. Don't see many topics on them here, thats all. Cheers! :) :)

Golf Loon
07-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Syncro has one too. Where are you Phil?

syncro
07-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Syncro has one too. Where are you Phil?

Just got back from Valla. Not many Golfs there this year but loads of T3 vans including 9 syncros!

Normally oil in water is from the oil cooler. Corrosion is caused through people putting tap water in or not using G11.

gtimk5
07-08-2006, 07:26 PM
This vehicle has always had G11. It has 1 broken head stud so far. Still to pull it apart but I had other things going on this afternoon. Basically I want to share with you what happens to them and will keep you all informed.:) :)

Hey Syncro, bit wet at Valla I hear??? Got any pics?:)

MK2 GTI
07-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Do you drill the studs out yourself if they snap? We send them down the rd to a drilling place cause there such a B%@# to drill out yaself. I hate pulling out every stud thinking if its gunna snap or not. I reckon T3's are good and reliable cars, my dad has a T3 twin cab ute.

syncro
07-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Syncro, bit wet at Valla I hear??? Got any pics?:)

Only wet on Saturday

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/08/SyncroLineup-1.jpg

gtimk5
11-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Do you drill the studs out yourself if they snap? We send them down the rd to a drilling place cause there such a B%@# to drill out yaself. I hate pulling out every stud thinking if its gunna snap or not. I reckon T3's are good and reliable cars, my dad has a T3 twin cab ute.
Finally got onto it this arvo. Been busy with other cars. Guess what mk2 gti? Got all the studs loose easily! Had one broken lower stud so the coolant was running in around the rocker area. Glad to have them loose tho! Cheers :)

gtimk5
11-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I love those Snap On stud removers that they don't sell anymore!