PDA

View Full Version : AVC-9000 Being Fitted Today!

3Putt
06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Having the GPS/DVD/Bluetooth/Rev Camera/4x45W Beast fitted today.

Will post my first impresisons tonight...

OilBurna
06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
very nice 3 putt look fwd to impressions and pics

3Putt
06-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Here she is...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/NewCarStereo044-1.jpg

The thing really works pretty well. Only had it in for a couple of hours, and I've already got everything up and running - bluetooth handsfree, satnav, dvd playback, cd playback all pretty intuitive to use.

Will say more after dinner..

ope126
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Looks spot on mate! :D

3Putt
06-05-2008, 07:22 PM
The beep at every button push is really annoying.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/NewCarStereo026-1.jpg

Also, it takes too long to recognise a CD.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/05/NewCarStereo021-1.jpg

Overall though, I cannot complain since the price was so good!

It even looks OEM. Fits in perfectly.

First impressions of the Route 66 software are very good. The moving map has quite a few street names and POI's come up, which really helps with orientation at a glance. I have noticed other software (TomTom and CoPilot) does not give so much on display info.

Will post more after some decent usage.

Lance B
06-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I take it this is not a factory fit?

Does it interface with the steering wheel buttons and dash readout?

Mischa
06-05-2008, 10:44 PM
what id like to know is if the annoying beep happens when you push the buttons on the steering wheel? also does the beep come out of the unit itself or is it played through the speakers? if it comes out of a little speaker on the unit then you could just disconnect the wire.

3Putt
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
The beep is from every conceivable button push / dial movement. Even the steering wheel!

Annoying, but can live with it.

The steering wheel buttons work, but a little weirdly. The 'phone' button actually changes sources! Will ask installer and Rob about this one. May be incorrect install, or weird integration problem.

BTW, sound quality is greatly improved, mainly from the fact I went from crappy 20W per channel head unit to a half decent 40W. Much cleaner sound from speakers, with more punch and oomph in the bass. Good little bonus point to the whole deal, I thought.

Can't seem to find the bass/treble control for CD playback yet. I hope there is one. The radio has bass/treble, or a pre-set 'equalizer' setting, with the standard rock, classical, pop etc choices.

Touch screen works really well. Menu's fairly intuitive. As I mentioned, got virtually everything working and haven't opened the manual yet (looking forward to some laughs at the usual chinese - english grammatical gems in that!).

Reversing camera was a dud, unfortunately. Doesn't work. Installer tried one of his own, and it worked fine. Hopefully Rob can sort me out with a replacement.

Standby for more. Anyone else got one lately?

guthrie
07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else... but where did you buy this?

Any pro's/con's with this HU compared to the RNS510?

cheers

3Putt
07-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Guy in Melbourne distributes these Chinese made units...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/auspacks/productPage10.html

Pros - Awesome feature list
- LOOK AT THE PRICE!!
- Looks OEM.
- Steering Wheel integration
- Greatly improves sound quality over factory (base) head unit
- Route 66 software good, looks to be a keeper.

Cons - Chinese (stigma only at this stage - can't fault it)
- CD's take a long time to start playing
- Beeps (thru speakers) at every button push

Will be posting more of a critique after some decent usage.

RWK
07-05-2008, 11:25 AM
How much you paid for the unit and how much was the installation?

I guess this unit doesnt give you any NAV info on the MFD where as the RNS510 does actually show everything on the MFD (eg. songs name, Nav Info etc) Correct me if I am wrong.

GTom
07-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Got the Route 66 software on my 6110, just a quick question and if you live out kinda west way..... Travel down Victoria Road from Parra way towards Silverwater road and see what directions it tells you to enter onto silverwater rd....

Does it tell you to do the following:

"U-Turn at the traffic lights then first left" Instead of telling you to veer to the left and use the on ramp onto Silverwater Rd...... That's the only thing that annoys the crap out of me with the Route 66 software!

The other one was when traveling down south directed me to get off the main highway and use a private road..... The 'road' was made out of grass......

Route 66 has an excellent UI etc but could do with some upgrades to the directions....

3Putt
07-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I think these little anomalies will pop up with all nav software - the 'shortest path' problem is a commonly known 'unsolvable problem' in IT / Mathematics circles. All these programs use damm good approximation algorithms that get you from A to B, but they will never be infallible.

On a different note, I am sad to report some negative feedback wrt Auspack-electronics' after sales service. I notified Rob of a faulty reversing camera (installer tried one of his, which worked fine). He will be sending me a replacement, but refused to cover the additional cost of re-installation, $65. Not good PR mate..

3Putt
07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
RWK,

Unit was $919, delivered to Sydney.

Instal was $300, Strathfield Kingsford.

The unit doesn't talk to the MFD, but does integrate with the steering wheel buttons.

The 'phone' button, in my car at the moment, switches sources, which i find a bit weird. Haven't had an incoming call yet, so don't know if it answers calls (as one would expect). Will be following this one up to see exactly what the correct functionality is.

gtimk5
07-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Just hooked mine up this arvo. No beeps and my volume isnt working on the wheel yet. Minor thing I think, I will look at it on friday and fit the camera as well. The features are fantastic tho!!
Andrew :)

VW Convert
07-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I think these little anomalies will pop up with all nav software - the 'shortest path' problem is a commonly known 'unsolvable problem' in IT / Mathematics circles. All these programs use damm good approximation algorithms that get you from A to B, but they will never be infallible.

True, computers are great at calculating but what separates them from humans is the lack of ability to think.

On a different note, I am sad to report some negative feedback wrt Auspack-electronics' after sales service. I notified Rob of a faulty reversing camera (installer tried one of his, which worked fine). He will be sending me a replacement, but refused to cover the additional cost of re-installation, $65. Not good PR mate..

Considering they posted on this forum to attract potential buyers and you have been giving them some good mileage by reporting on the unit I agree.......very poor PR. Perhaps this is a correct decision in a "legal" sense but a dumb and petty decision in a practical sense.

Cheers

George

OzDJ
13-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Beeps (thru speakers) at every button push

Most of the units shipped mid-May onwards DO NOT have the confirmation beep. Why don't you email Rob at AusPack and ask for a firmware reflash?

DJ

FJ Steve
13-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Pleased to hear of more +ive feedback for this unit. I have been watching the thread at GolfMKV with great interest.

Not sure that I would "trust" Strahfield to do my work (previous experience), but will be looking around Perth for a "First Class Install" just the same.

Keep the reviews coming.

OzDJ
13-06-2008, 10:23 AM
First impressions of the Route 66 software are very good. The moving map has quite a few street names and POI's come up, which really helps with orientation at a glance. I have noticed other software (TomTom and CoPilot) does not give so much on display info.

After a few weeks of painful experimentation, I ditched the Route66 and am running iGO8 (based on the MioMap core) on my AVC-9000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HXxi9LMDs
(Dodgy quality video)

Much happier with this over the Route66.

DJ

VolksFlagon
17-06-2008, 02:57 PM
After a few weeks of painful experimentation, I ditched the Route66 and am running iGO8 (based on the MioMap core) on my AVC-9000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HXxi9LMDs
(Dodgy quality video)

Much happier with this over the Route66.

DJ

Thanks for the Vid but it looks like you couldn't get it to do anything useful. The user interface looks a bit messy?

DAN682
17-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Not sure that I would "trust" Strahfield to do my work (previous experience), but will be looking around Perth for a "First Class Install" just the same.

I have JUST the man. He is a legend, is thorough, has been doing it 13 years, is mobile, has done 5 of my cars from minimal upgrades to absolutely silly $7000 upgrades to an already good system in my CX-7, He was the first to drop an Eclipse AVN6000 unit into a CX-7 and 300C (The CX-7 being mine), He has done my Golf's install of the HiTV V2000 with Reverse Cam and BT without any hickups, My old dealership dropped their contract with their installer and picked him up, he is that good!

Did I mention he comes to you? Yeah I think I did!

PM Me for his details.

p.s Iain at OPVW has seen his work too so if you don't believe me, ask him!

FJ Steve
18-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Oh....I believe.

PM sent.

DAN682
18-06-2008, 08:27 AM
PM sent back :)

If anybody else needs any quality installs done in WA just PM me.

balkanac
18-06-2008, 12:34 PM
too late now, i already installed my DVD :) I'll keep him in mind

tryingavw
20-06-2008, 11:12 AM
this av900 for under 1k seems great value as I've ordered my passat with the rns510 for $ 3,000.00 which doesnt include bluetooth :duh: . In fact it isnt yet available for this apparently and will probably be a further $800.00. when it is. Too bad the GPS software doesn't sound so good.

in my car testing i setup a bluetooth connection in a bmw to my mobile. Very convenient - uses the car speakers when you're in the vehicle and automatically switches back to the handset as you walk off.

Are you still happy with it?

3Putt
23-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Well, I've had this thing for a month or so now, and I am still happy with it, on the whole.

The AVC-9000 does have some annoying little flaws though:

1. No way to store phone numbers (bluetooth)
2. Takes a while for a CD to start playing.
3. Can't navigate while on bluetooth phone call.
4. Route 66 is not the best.
5. Those damned beeps!

Still, I go back to the price. For me its an awesome piece of kit for $900.

DAN682
23-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, I've had this thing for a month or so now, and I am still happy with it, on the whole.

The AVC-9000 does have some annoying little flaws though:

1. No way to store phone numbers (bluetooth)
2. Takes a while for a CD to start playing.
3. Can't navigate while on bluetooth phone call.
4. Route 66 is not the best.
5. Those damned beeps!

Still, I go back to the price. For me its an awesome piece of kit for $900.

I have the HiTV which is the same unit as far as I can see

1. Yes that annoys me too
2. Yes that annoys me too
3. Yes that really annoys me too
4. After using whereis maps for so long yes route 66 sucks
5. I hate those beeps but I have heard on the grape vine a new firmware will fix this

FJ Steve
24-06-2008, 08:12 AM
over at golfmkv.com they are testing the unit with iGO8 software and (I believe) upgrading of the Windows CE side. Soem good results are happening.

Paul_OH
29-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Interesting stuff, just got my GT last week and was disappointed to see that it didn't have the Aux-in plug so was prepared to get the ipod adaptor until I saw this.
To get satnav, GPS and a better factory stereo almost seems too good to be true. I notice the specs state 'Ipod compatible', what does that actually mean, does it come pre-wired with an ipod input or is that an optional extra?

Steve FJ - Have you purchased on and had it fitted yet? I saw your posts on GolfmkV over the last few days.

Dan6982 - did you get the HiTv locally or was that ordered in also?

Are these units only avail ex-East or is their local support if something goes wrong?

Very interesting stuff!

Paul

FJ Steve
29-06-2008, 12:10 PM
G'day Paul....

I take it you are in WA?

Quote from the distributor in Melbourne was $850.00 posted to Perth.

No I haven't ordered one yet...but I am keen. I really want to have the car first...call me stupid, but I see no point in ordering it now, with no car, and there is still some development happening with the geeks at golfmkv (respect guys...respect).

And....has anyone seen a DB R32 anywhere?

***singing*** Oh where, oh where, can my little 'dub be...oh where oh where has it gone?:brutal:

Paul_OH
29-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes , in Perth Steve and just updated my profile.

The price seems right so am definitely considering this. Thanks for the reply

Paul

3Putt
29-06-2008, 08:42 PM
iPod docking cable can be fed into the glovebox from back of unit.

Nice and neat.

DAN682
29-06-2008, 09:24 PM
iPod docking cable can be fed into the glovebox from back of unit.

Nice and neat.

I had mine there but moved it to where the ashtray is so I can actually control the ipod without having to lean over to the glovebox.

DR GTI
16-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi guys,

Has anyone installed the camera on a GTI? If so where did you put it?

thanks

gtimk5
16-10-2008, 11:56 AM
If you look at the thread in the radio section of the forum, there are pics of my camera.

DR GTI
16-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi guys,

i am currently having the AVC9000 installed into my GTI and the auto electrician has called me with 2 problems.

1. there does not appear to be any sat nav software installed (Route ot Tomtom). Is this on an SD card or does it come pre-installed?

2. The steering wheel buttons dont work even though he has connected it. has he connected the right way?

Any help would really be appreciated

thanks

DR GTI
16-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of a good installer in Sydney?

i have just had the avc9000 and am having a few issues with a hissing/crackling sound when the volume is turned right down. any ideas? the unit seems to have a bit of a gap on the right side also?

thanks

3Putt
21-10-2008, 07:35 AM
AVC-9000 is not compatible with VW steering wheel controls.

blutopless2
21-10-2008, 11:06 AM
the steering wheel volume control buttons work on mine... haven't had it long enough to play with all the buttons yet.

rark
21-10-2008, 11:07 AM
AVC-9000 is not compatible with VW steering wheel controls.

Steering wheel controls work for me.

blutopless2
21-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Guys,
i have just had the avc9000 and am having a few issues with a hissing/crackling sound when the volume is turned right down. any ideas?

i noticed this on mine today... sitting in driveway with accessories on to play around with the unit.... with volume off it gives off a very low hissing noise.

Paul_OH
21-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that most of the queries raised have already been covered in the other post on AVC9000, however to save a search can provide the following:

Volume, mute and source select (left hand steering buttons) work. Track select does not
The hissing noise is caused by the DBAS button and/or the loudness button in setup. Turning these "boosters" off will get rid of the hiss/hum but sound quality will be reduced.

I hope this helps

Paul

3Putt
22-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Sorry guys, its the MFD that the AVC-9000 won't play with.

3Putt
22-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know about you guys, but i think the small difference that the AVC's 4x50W (compared to 4x35W from factory) amp makes is not really enough.

Does anyone know if an aftermarket amp is the best way to get better sound quality, or do i need to swap out the speakers.

I'm looking for quality not quantity - a bit more bass but mainly clarity and clean base is what i'm after.

FJ Steve
22-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Sorry guys, its the MFD that the AVC-9000 won't play with.Has been covered in numerous threads concerning the AVC. The AVC will not play with the MFD....it will only link with the steering wheel controls (Left Hand Side only)

3Putt
22-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I was just correcting my error from an earlier post on THIS thread.

Some of us don't have time to scour this whole forum.

Why so uptight about repeating content on this forum anyway? Its not like its 'on fire' with new threads every few minutes.

Personally, i'm happy to see a new thread every few days, even if its on a subject thats already been discussed.

I gotta get a life. I wonder if the XR6 Turbo forum's got a bit more activity on it. Hmmm, one can only dream. The minister for sex and finance has vetoed any trading of Euro prestige for kW or Nm... DOH! :duh:

FJ Steve
23-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I was just correcting my error from an earlier post on THIS thread.Misinterpretation....it happens

Some of us don't have time to scour this whole forum.The search function will help save time for you

Why so uptight about repeating content on this forum anyway? Its not like its 'on fire' with new threads every few minutes.Easy Tiger...I was trying to help....

Personally, i'm happy to see a new thread every few days, even if its on a subject thats already been discussed.Not sure what the moderators would have to say about this......a new thread vs posts added to a related thread.

I gotta get a life. I wonder if the XR6 Turbo forum's got a bit more activity on it. Hmmm, one can only dream. gotta get a life...and get an XR6?....does not compute.