PDA

View Full Version : filling golf tank

greygolf8
05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Had to fill my golf v tonight. was sitting right on empty with 20km as the estimate to empty. At about 48 or 49l, there was a whistling sound, which I took to mean the tank was almost full, yet i put another litre in. The fuel meter showed full but I only put 50l in. Does that mean there was 5l left in the tank originally ?

also does the trip computer expect the tank to be full when it gives u the new distance left or does it measure how much diesel was put in the tank ?

thanks

TDI Dude
06-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Had to fill my golf v tonight. was sitting right on empty with 20km as the estimate to empty. At about 48 or 49l, there was a whistling sound, which I took to mean the tank was almost full, yet i put another litre in. The fuel meter showed full but I only put 50l in. Does that mean there was 5l left in the tank originally ?

also does the trip computer expect the tank to be full when it gives u the new distance left or does it measure how much diesel was put in the tank ?

thanks

Yep sounds like you had about 5 litres left, I normally fill mine till the pump cuts outs then lightly squeeze trigger to get some in the tank, filling up the neck as much as i can. The whistling sound is the air coming back out of the breather pipe as fuel goes in, you'll never be able to use all 55 litres as the car will keep i think about 7-5 litres in reserve to protect the fuel pump and not allow air to enter fuel system and if you put more than that you are generally filling up the neck of the tank, which will hold a couple of litres itself.

The trip computer pretty much will use the fuel gauge to estimate km's left etc.. taking its reading from the float in tha tank. I generally run my tank down till about the first red mark on the gauge and fill it up then, the distance to empty is a little deceiving as at about the last 180km to go mark the fuel drops rapidly and so does distance to go, I'd say this is due to fuel system calibration. Hope this helps you out. :)

neil
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
From my experience the MFD calculates the distance to empty after you
fill up and the previous driving style.
I fill up at Normanhurst at the end of the freeway which has the big dipper
(hill) at the end of the freeway, The MFD shows fuel usage at 0.00 for about
1-2km. so after refilling it recalculates my distance to empty, I always have 1200km to empty.
Don't put to much faith in the distance to empty as I have put in 57.23
litres of fuel, The distance to empty showed 55 km to go and when I hit the
traffic after the freeway it showed 0 so you can get caught out on the freeway.
Manual indicates 55 litre fuel tank so must be room for more somewhere.