PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak!!

Cupra
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Started the cupra this morning to come to work, moved it down my drive & left it running to warm it up. Came back to it 5 mins latter & could smell fuel & noticed a trail of fluid running from under the car!

With the engine running the fuel is leaking from around the RH chassis rail under the driver, it stops dripping pretty much as soon as you shut the car off.

So, it was back up the drive & out with the golf to get to work, luckily my wife isn't working today. So I guess I'll be working on the car tonight!

Golf Loon
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Same thing happened on my VR6 Ibiza. The clamp from the rigis line to the rubber line up by the engine had loostened and fuel dripped all down the line inside the box section and dripped out onto the floor from that box section.

Cupra
05-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for that Matt, I was sure that someone would have had something similar happen. Unfortunately i'm sitting here at work not feeling to well, i might have to go home sick i think........ cough, cough!

Phil

Cupra
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I came home from work with a head cold B4 lunch today & spent the last couple of hours checking out the fuel system with the car parked in the driveway in the sun & a bunch of cold & flu drugs in my head.

I started in the engine bay & removed the induction system to get a better look & couldn't find any signs of leaking fuel in the obvious places (thanks loon). I put the car in on stands & ran it for 5 min with out fault. So I put the car in exactly the same place as it was this morning when I had the problem & ran it for 30 min without any leaks!

So apart from the temperature change from this morning everything else checks out.

I guess that I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning when everything is cold & try again.

But it wasn't a total loss, I think that I can run an additional cold air intake pipe out the bottom of the filter box down beside the charcoal filter into clear air behind the air dam.

Phil

Jmac
05-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Might still pay you to go round all the fuel line clamps, around the fuel rail and the feed and return lines, if it has been leaking it surely will again.
Jmac

Cupra
05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm not taking her out on the road until I find the source, I'd hate to loose her that way! While I was fault finding today I had a hose under pressure & a fire extinguisher near by.

If I can't reproduce the leak I think I might replace the supply & return lines on speck.

Phil

Cupra
07-05-2008, 03:21 PM
yesterday was a complete bust mainly because I struggled to get out of bed, this is a bad bug i've picked up!

Anyway, I just went out to have another look for the leak & it leaked immediately from the supply line in the engine bay at the join from rigid to flex hose, right where Loon said to look!

i can only think that when I looked on Monday I pulled everything away from it's mounts & locating clips & must have put the pipe & clamp under tension which prevented it from leaking. When I was finished I put everything back together & it's been parked ever since.

I'll go & get some new clamps & replace them on the 3 lines, the little spring clips that factory use don't look to strong once they've been disturbed so I'm not going to try & reuse them.

Thanks again Matt

cheers

Phil