PDA

View Full Version : IPOD adaptor

blutopless2
04-05-2008, 07:54 PM
has anyone bought an ipod adaptor from VW and had it installed??

just wondering what the "adaptor" actually is?
is it a female usb connector?
or is it specific to a type of ipod?

dealership could not tell me all he kept saying was it was an "adaptor"...

and he said its in the glovebox??
can anyone help?

Mr İharisma
04-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Did he mention if you can control the Ipod from the front of the unit?

Most seem to go through the changer, and operate as if you changing a song via the shuttle. Usually the proper adapter will have the Ipod connector on it as if you where syncing it to your pc for Nano, Classic etc. This allows it to get charged as well from most units. I doubt it is a 3.5mm jack input, that would be more an aux input.

blutopless2
05-05-2008, 09:51 AM
didn't mention where it is controlled from.. though i would hope its from the front of the stereo if the connector is in the glove box... this would make it a pain to switch songs etc if you had to lean over to the box all the time or drive with the glove box open...
think i will ask to see what the connector looks like.
wonder if its just the earphone jack so all you get is the sound out to the stereo. coz we just got an itouch and we already have a shuffle.. different connectors on them.

BeigeJet
05-05-2008, 11:54 AM
has anyone bought an ipod adaptor from VW and had it installed??

just wondering what the "adaptor" actually is?
is it a female usb connector?
or is it specific to a type of ipod?

dealership could not tell me all he kept saying was it was an "adaptor"...

and he said its in the glovebox??
can anyone help?

Hi blutopless,

I've got the VW adaptor in my Jetta. The plug appears to be specific to Apple ipods. I bought the Wife a 8G for Xmas.

The control is via the stereo but limited to selecting a play list only. You can select the 1st 5 playlists on the ipod (with the CD selection buttons 1 to 5) or select all tracks by using CD 6.

The display lights up when you 1st turn on the ignition with the VW logo.

The cable is long enough for the ipod to sit in the centre drinks console but we usually keep it in the glove box out of sight. While connected it charges the ipod.

Does the job for me but on other threads users would prefer more contol over selections. Also quite expensive; the ipod was 75% of the price of the adaptor fitted. I trialled the FM transitor adaptor thingies but decided on the VW adaptor for better clarity.

A personal choice but this info may assist,

Cheers,

blutopless2
05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
thanks for the info. is it the earphone jack that you plug in? or is it a flat connector that goes into the base of the ipod?
i got quoted $238.80 supply only or $349 fitted... seems a bit exy to me just for a bloody short cable going from the back of the stereo into the glove box.
typical of manufacturers tho.

BeigeJet
05-05-2008, 04:51 PM
it's the flat one. Mine was fitted for $340 inc GST. Although I get a credit on the GST componenet because it's a leased vehicle.

Mr İharisma
05-05-2008, 04:59 PM
$350... why not go aftermarket with Ipod control? Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, JVC all have something that fits the bill.

blutopless2
05-05-2008, 07:03 PM
well for my jetta i'm thinking i will just get the sat/nav unit for sale on here... get that for $1000 and have ipod connectivity with that as well as sat/nav etc...
for our polo i think i will hunt around for something a little more realistic in price.

blutopless2
06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
thanks... might come and look at it and ask you some q's on it at the time... then i can see where it goes etc etc...
will pm you.

mscabrio
08-05-2008, 11:51 AM
My spies tell me that the current adaptors on the market do not work with the Ipod Touch, due to the touchscreen.