PDA

View Full Version : Removing Engine Cover on 2.0 TDI??

mr_walker
30-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Probably a stupid question... but how do you take off the plastic engine cover? Does it just pop off?

Curiosity has got the better of me, and I want to look at the donk in the new Jetta.

zz2
01-05-2008, 01:02 AM
im assuming its just like on the GTIs engine. if thats the case its just held in with plastic lugs into rubber grommets. but if its like the 2.0TFSI engine you're gonna be in for a struggle!! its a ****ing ba..ard to get off!!
you have to really really yank at it!

i know this isnt the TDI cover but it should give you some idea http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365

gregozedobe
01-05-2008, 02:53 AM
But watch out you don't break it, as has happened to some who got a bit too heavy handed :(

origin
01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Go and do it....

If you break it... You got stick tape to fix it...:D:D

BeigeJet
01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Probably a stupid question... but how do you take off the plastic engine cover? Does it just pop off?

Curiosity has got the better of me, and I want to look at the donk in the new Jetta.
Easy as but also take note of gregozedobe.

There is one hex bolt from memeory a 10mm and then carefully pull up. I think there are 2 - 3 lugs that hold it down other than teh aforementioned hex bolt.

Curiosity got to me but really didn't see much under the cover.

good luck!

mr_walker
01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Now I'm curious *and* nervous :( I don't remember seeing a hex bolt, but I haven't had a really good look yet.

mikinoz
01-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Let me tell you definitively.

On the rear left there is a bolt holding it in, then there are lugs that require you to pull upward.

I start at the front right.

I know that there is a HEX, as I did not undo it the first time and snapped it... :( Hooray for the glue you can buy these days!

gtimk5
02-05-2008, 07:38 AM
2 front lugs and 1 on the trans end rear. I normally dont undo the 10 m/m mount but slip the cover out of it. I am always taking these off to change oil filters and have never gone close to breaking anything.:?
Cheers, Andrew :)

Logzy
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
On the GT Sport Golf 2.0 125KW TDI there is no bolts it just lifts / pops off out of the rubber grommets.
Easy, takes all of about 15 seconds.

mikinoz
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
2 front lugs and 1 on the trans end rear. I normally dont undo the 10 m/m mount but slip the cover out of it. I am always taking these off to change oil filters and have never gone close to breaking anything.:?
Cheers, Andrew :)

Hahaha, I must be a too eager beaver.

I was following directions for a GTI that has no bolt an had too many g's on it I feel.

mr_walker
04-05-2008, 09:01 AM
All good - once I figured out where the 3 rubber snap in mounts were I didn't have to flex the cover too much. Like gtimk5 says, you don't have to undo the hex bolt. It holds a rubber grommet in place, and as long as you work it out carefully there's no trouble.

Thanks guys. I've gotta say its great having a pool of experience on hand - even for the simple things.

Cheers, Walker