PDA

View Full Version : Passat Wagon Purchase - good value?

rathalian
25-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Just walked out of the VW dealership with a quote on the following:

2007 delivered (with 2008 registration) Passat Wagon (they are getting rid of 2007 stock)

Includes 125kw TDI motor, sunroof and black leather seats and Anthracite paint (pearl option).

Dealer would only negotiate down from ticket price of $57200 to $54900 (ACT dealer).

We live in NSW (just over the border from Canberra) so aren't too fussed about going to Sydney. What are peoples thoughts re this pricing notably given this is stock they are try to clear and I would have to buy what they have?

Thanks - Adam

Mischa
25-04-2008, 03:45 PM
you can do better than that. tell them 50 and you'll sign on the spot otherwise you'll go elsewhere... cant hurt.

Golf Loon
25-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Also surely you can buy a car in Sydders and get it serviced at your local dealer.

Also check out Skoda who will sell you a rebadged version of the same car for $20k less

rark
25-04-2008, 06:35 PM
When I was looking at cars I found the ACT dealer the most expensive. Give Wagga a try and put some money in the regional area. They matched Sydney dealers prices anyway.

rathalian
26-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the responses. We took the scoda octavia's out today (mid-range 2.0 TDI model) and although were impressed with the way it drove we were not impressed with the road noise.

I'll give a couple of NSW dealerships a call and see where that takes me. Given the VW dealership was all but dead this morning and diesel was 1.71 a litre last night (!) they definitely need my business more than I need theirs.

One issue we do have now is my wife doesn't want to set foot in the dealership again re the way we were treated by the finance / deal signer. He played games and talking as if we were idiots - LOL. My wife is a government procurement officer and does this on a daily basis for contracts 250k or more a pop. Given she didn't want to buy a car last week, they had her sold on the Passat until we sat down with that person...damn.

WestOiler125
27-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Amazing how dealers employ people who know nothing about sales...ie. the customer is king! If they give a bit of TLC and listen (not tell you) the business will follow. This is why I bought from the non-local dealer (country) instead of two fat n' happy city dealers.

rathalian
28-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Well after some further looking I've gotten a quote for a 125KW TDI wagon Passat with metallic paint and leather interior for 49990 drive away (2008 badged).

I've got a fleet company coming in with a quotation tomorrow - how is this sounding do you think?

STV4SYT
28-04-2008, 07:12 PM
a lot better mate, see if u are elegible for a fleet discount a lot of people are and dont realise, its worth 10% of base price of car and reduced stamp duty delivery etc

richdave
28-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Also check out Skoda who will sell you a rebadged version of the same car for $20k less

I dont think it is that simple.... The Skoda is not the SAME, although it does have SOME common elements given the family association..

I looked at the SKoda and the "saving" was closer to 6K overall and I did not think it was worth the risk to get the Skoda given it is new to the OZ market and somewhat unknown... Also the interior finish was not what I considered good and certainly sub standard compared to the PAssat.

I still remember the first Hyundai's... total CRAP and worthless on resale...

mtm tcca
28-04-2008, 08:13 PM
mate, do yourself a favour and find an 07 Passat with 25-30,000k's and take it for a good road test, find some rough roads andcheck it out for rattles and sqeeks. They are a very nice car but I heard these are famous for it. You don't want to spend all that hard earned cash to find out you're not happy with the car.

As for the price, may I suggest you call the guys at Southern Classic Cars in W-gong. Last time I spoke to them about buying the same car, for my wife, 08 built and plated, pricing was from $38K up. Talk to John.

RWK
29-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Well after some further looking I've gotten a quote for a 125KW TDI wagon Passat with metallic paint and leather interior for 49990 drive away (2008 badged).

I've got a fleet company coming in with a quotation tomorrow - how is this sounding do you think?

You could use my price as a guide line for fleet purchase.

My fleet compnay managed to get me one with the following options but a Sedan.

125kw TDI Sedan, Pearl Effect Black, Alarm, Foggie, Sunroof, Leather Seats, Front Electric Seats with 3 memories, RNS510 Sat Nav, Bi-Xenon Headlights, Darkest Legal Tint and a full tank of fuel. The D/A price was $53k. However with all these options, factory order is needed and you are looking at 4-5 months wait. I've been waiting for 3 months already and my car is arriving Fremantle on the 13th May.

Hope this info helps.

rathalian
30-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Sounds like a great deal. Fleet company got back to me and couldn't even match the local dealer...

snodrogs
02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi RWK.

Does your price include GST?

I am looking down the barrel of figure of D/A $56k for a new MY08 125kW Wagon in Pearl paint, with leather, memory seat, foglights, electric wagon trunk, alarm, and factory sunroof, INCLUDING GST through my fleet co.

Does this sound reasonable?? :)

Cheers

snodrogs
02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Sorry RWK

Just read another post from you. It was GST exempt. So answered my own question! j:

Cheers

RWK
03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Yup. GST was exempted as I salary packaged the car. Bargain!!