PDA

View Full Version : Jets has bought a new T4 Camper!

WEDEL.1
25-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Come and do a "Show & Tell" Rob!

Maris

jets
26-04-2008, 09:25 AM
It's an '01 SWB Syncro with Trakka conversion. Usual side cupboards,[these have 3 lift up covers] swivel front seats, leasure GEL battery, fridge,2 burner stove with hopper window & flyscreen above,sink with electric water pump, storage compartment above bed, pop up roof etc. It has an unusual layout single seat facing forward behind the passenger front seat. This turns it into a 5 seater. When camping this will be removed & left home.
The table, stored behind driver's seat, is mounted on a bracket that swings out from the bottom of rear seat/bed. This seat slides on full tracks taking the table with it. The table also can be fitted to the outside of the sliding door for outdoor eating.
Being a syncro it has a manual trans that I will feel more comfortable with towing anything compared with my auto. Buying this van will allow me to sell my Toyota 4WD that is only used in 4WD occasionally.
I will try & post some pics after I have collected it.

WEDEL.1
26-04-2008, 09:40 AM
It looks a great unit Rob, I'm VERY jealous!!

Some of the pics from the advert.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5990/wy2763285227ji7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8934/wy2763285227egw8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5082/wy2763285227fpl0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DVR68U
26-04-2008, 12:23 PM
very nice , how much does it weigh with all that gear in it ?
cheers brenton

jets
26-04-2008, 05:36 PM
The T4 brochure for the SWB transporter with 2.5TDI & manual trans. shows unladen mass of1550kg. The syncro adds another 100kg.
I would have guessed around 2 tonnes, but an article in Overlander in late '97 for a 2.5 syncro full of fuel & water weighed in at 2260kg.

Rob

DVR68U
26-04-2008, 11:17 PM
what sort of fuel econ. do you normally get out of a 2.5lt syn ?
with that weight i suppose its just like having a very full work van. im doing a camper conversion slowly, but im trying to keep the weight down as ive only got the 2lt and im trying to save on fuel.
cheers brenton

rob64981
27-04-2008, 04:27 AM
Very nice looking camper!

Can i ask a couple of questions...

Does the van have seat belts for all the seats?
What year is the van?
Do the front seats raise and lower when they are turned?
Does it have bed in the top?
Can i ask what sort of money roof alone would cost?

Its the sort of thing we would like when we get there...

Now passed the Vetassa test so one step nearer.

Rob

jets
27-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes all the seats have seat belts. It has a compliance plate to say that its licenced to carry 5 people.

Its an '01 model.

I don't know about the seats.

Yes there is a bed in the roof. The owner told me, IIRC, that its rated at 80kg. The bed in the LWB is rated at 120kg.

Don't know about cost of roof installation, a figure of around $6000 comes to mind.

Most people in Aust. consider the Trakka to be the best conversion people in Aust. They have close ties with VW [1 of 5 in the world the salesman told me] & have access to all VW components. Their reputation is reflected in the resale prices, a bit like Westfalia in Europe. There are other people who would probably install a pop up roof for you & most likely cheaper.

DVR68U The owner says the economy is 9.0l/100km, & I would say that's on a trip.

WEDEL.1
27-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Very nice looking camper!

Can i ask a couple of questions...

Do the front seats raise and lower when they are turned?
Does it have bed in the top?
Can i ask what sort of money roof alone would cost?
Rob

Seats, as far as I know, do not alter their height.

Most do. It may be an option, but they are good for children only (approx 90kg weight).

A few years ago when we were at TRAKKA I was quoted $5000 for the roof and another $500 for colour coding. So Jets estimate is fairly close.

Maris

phaeton
27-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Congrats on the purchase Rob :D

jets
27-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Congrats on the purchase Rob :D

Thanks Ben.

Golf Loon
27-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Its the sort of thing we would like when we get there...

Now passed the Vetassa test so one step nearer.

Rob

You are mad not to bring a car with you. You can buy one for peanuts in the UK and have lots more choice than here. Shipping is 1000quid.

Any camper T4 in Oz is gonna be over 10k, even a stinker.

jimmyd
28-04-2008, 12:53 AM
great van looks in good nic, Trakka do the best conversion by far I think. mine is a 02 swb 2.5 dsl great fuel economy although a frontline conversion.Pity I have to sell it soon as going to UK to live for a while :sad:

rob64981
28-04-2008, 07:52 AM
You are mad not to bring a car with you. You can buy one for peanuts in the UK and have lots more choice than here. Shipping is 1000quid.

Any camper T4 in Oz is gonna be over 10k, even a stinker.

Can you please tell me where you found this price from?

We did look into it but had daft prices of £3000 for a container.

Would really like to bring something over.

Rob

WEDEL.1
28-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Rob, I think you should be talking to jimmyd.

I met a German last year in Port Augusta who paid $5000 for a return journey for his early T4 California Syncro.

While it seemed alot of money, he replied "Where can I hire a vehicle such as this for that money?"

Maris

jets
28-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Can you please tell me where you found this price from?

We did look into it but had daft prices of £3000 for a container.

Would really like to bring something over.

Rob

Rob, send a pm to Vr6Storm, he has recently migrated from the UK & brought a couple of VWs with him. He only arrived at Christmas time so his info should be up to date.

Rob

rob64981
28-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks Jets.

I have sent Vr6 a message

Rob

jets
21-05-2008, 11:12 PM
After owning the Trakka for a couple of weeks now I thought it's time to report. I am very pleased with the purchase & enjoy driving it & camping in it. I prefer it to my LWB auto. While camping, the front swivel seats makes all the difference to having sufficient room & the softer seat means we don't need to carry an overlay & air mattress.
Being a Syncro the spare doesn't store under like the 2WD. An external carrier is available at an expensive $2,500 [last price] MIne is stored on the floor under the seat which at first seems like it takes a lot of storage room. With this van I don't need to take an extra table, twin burner gas stove on stand & separate water container, so it works just fine. The leisure battery means we are no longer tied to powered sites & can bush camp.
For every day driving [not that this will be] the SWB is easier to manoeuvre, as expected, particularly in car parks. No longer do I need to reverse to square up, or having to watch that I don't "snick" the rear wheel on a concrete curb.It's also easier to do U turns in narrow streets.
I much prefer the manual box after the auto. I believe I am more qualified to decide when to change gears. If it was an T5 i am not so sure, 6 speeds makes a lot of difference.
I am slightly disappointed with the fuel consumption, slightly higher than the 2WD auto, although the tyre pressures were down. 2 tankfulls on the way home, driving gently, gave almost the same figure of just under 9l/100km [32 mpg]
In a VW brochure Caravelle & Kombi Mar. 03, they claim a highway cycle of 5.8l/100km. In another Caravelle brochure "according to AS 2877" highway 6.8l/100km. I know the Syncro would use more, [probably .5l/100km extra] & my camper weighs more, I can't see myself getting anywhere near those figures.
The syncro, even though it has the higher geared option [PR OZN] it's still lower geared than my 4 speed auto [ also high geared] At 110km/hr. the auto revs at 2600 while the Syncro is doing around 2750 rpm. The lower gearing is beaut around the burbs though, 4th gear at the now usual 50km & 5th can be engaged just over 60km. Before I bought the van I checked with a friend who had a syncro & he said a lot of the time he started in 2nd.
While comparing the 2 vans, both '01 models, the syncro has an opening in the front bumper & under tray slightly left of centre. Is this for extra cooling of the gearbox?
Rob

DaveMack
21-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Have to say, Jets ... I'm jealous ... looks like a great buy and would be lots of fun trundling around Oz.

Dave

Zanza
22-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi Jets, according to the website spritmonitor.de, you're exactly in the consumption you should be in: check it here (http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/50-Volkswagen/461-Transporter.html?esearch=1&fueltype=1&fuelsort=1&constyear_s=2001&constyear_e=2001&power_s=74&power_e=100&gearing=1&exactmodel=syncro)

A really beautiful Syncro camper by the way, and like the others I'm jealous :D

Golf Loon
22-05-2008, 07:20 AM
The vent in the bumper means its from a caravelle and is for the rear AC.

Seano
22-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I am slightly disappointed with the fuel consumption, slightly higher than the 2WD auto, although the tyre pressures were down. 2 tankfulls on the way home, driving gently, gave almost the same figure of just under 9l/100km [32 mpg]
In a VW brochure Caravelle & Kombi Mar. 03, they claim a highway cycle of 5.8l/100km. In another Caravelle brochure "according to AS 2877" highway 6.8l/100km. I know the Syncro would use more, [probably .5l/100km extra] & my camper weighs more, I can't see myself getting anywhere near those figures.
The syncro, even though it has the higher geared option [PR OZN] it's still lower geared than my 4 speed auto [ also high geared] At 110km/hr. the auto revs at 2600 while the Syncro is doing around 2750 rpm. The lower gearing is beaut around the burbs though, 4th gear at the now usual 50km & 5th can be engaged just over 60km. Before I bought the van I checked with a friend who had a syncro & he said a lot of the time he started in 2nd.
While comparing the 2 vans, both '01 models, the syncro has an opening in the front bumper & under tray slightly left of centre. Is this for extra cooling of the gearbox?

Jets.....VW quoted fuel economy in the T4 was assumed for a highway speed of 90km/hr.........hence the low number compared to rear world. My DOKA typically does 12L/100km on the open road mainly because it is running at such high revs at 110km/h but around town I regularily do better than 8L/100km.....for a vehicle this size there's little to complain about in that respect.

Mine also has that 'hole'.....and it ain't a Caravelle. Nor does it have rear air-con. Unless you happen to be sitting in the tray. No idea what it's for.

jets
23-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I agree Seano, the the 5.8 figure would be at a constant 90km/hr but I would have thought the 6.8 would have been more realistic as it is to AS 2877. Anyway I will check again on my next trip with correct tyre pressure. The PO said he normally got 9.0 in normal running around including suburban use. From my experience diesels give the best economy at lower revs, so I agree with Seano in an earlier statement that he made that his Syncro could do with a higher top gear.
BTW could anyone else with a Syncro confirm whether their's has the opening in the front bumper.

jets
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
A few weeks ago we decided to take a few days holiday in Yorke Peninsula.
This pic. is taken in Moonta Bay. Just to the left is a lit prominade leading to a very good fishing jetty.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/07/P1010074-1.jpg

A couple of nights later we stayed at Edithburgh, another top spot.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/07/P1010077-1.jpg

I spoke to the driver of the T3 on the left. He was enjoying the camper but it wasn't his. It belonged to a friend of his, must be a good friend.

After driving for a while I was looking for the cruise control switch that my other van has. The handling is better on the syncro compared with the 2WD LWB with good turn in. The economy was much improved at the correct tyre pressures & staying under 100km/hr. The lower gear ratios are great when driving as a tourist not so good for travelling long distances at higher speeds.
A few notes about the Trakka conversion. The side cupboard is mounted a little too far forward. As a result the drivers seat was too upright in the rearmost position. A 50mm extra would have improved comfort.[ I'm 6ft tall] The swivel seat still had sufficient headroom.
If I was ordering new I wouldn't bother with a drivers swivelling seat. It's a bit of a hassle to swing around & because of the cupboard behind it stops at an angle. Ok if you want to have another couple for a drink but with just 2 of us we didn't use it.
The 65litre fresh water tank has a handle at the rear & a pair of wheels at the front. At the end of your trip it's easily removed & with 2 large caps on the top can be dried out to stop algae forming.
My van is fitted with the 68litr fridge[mid '01] While with carefull loading it carried our stuff, the later 85 litre would have been obviously much better.
While away we found an "easter egg" in a concealed postion against the headlining inside the sliding door. It's a towel rail that proved very usefull.
Mods planned to do at some stage is to install a digital volt meter for the leisure battery, inside/outside temp gauge & cruise control. A reversing camera would also be usefull when lining up the trailer & general parking.

tapsy
07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Jets, you have got a nice one there! looks in very very good nic for a 01,
and is well set up!, hope you enjoyed yorkes we have stopped there before great place (moonta):):)

jets
07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks tapsy, yes it is almost as good as it looks in the photos, I'm very pleased with it.

DVR68U
08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
great work, im working on converting my swb '94 into a camper, seriously thinking about getting some proper caravelle windows instead of the panel van side. how much heat do you loose through your windows ? i can insulate the panel van side which is the bonus of keeping them that way.
cheers brenton

rob64981
09-07-2008, 01:09 AM
DVR68U,

There are lots of caravelle converted campers over here in the UK.

We use these thermo mats to stop heat loss.

http://shop.justkampers.com/images/JK/lge_J13119.jpg

We also have some that go round the outside of the cab.Here is a picture of both types

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s115/rob64981/11082007166.jpg

As you can imagine we suffer from heat loss more than you lot out there!

There is also a thermo screen for the pop tops.

Rob

jets
09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
great work, im working on converting my swb '94 into a camper, seriously thinking about getting some proper caravelle windows instead of the panel van side. how much heat do you loose through your windows ? i can insulate the panel van side which is the bonus of keeping them that way.
cheers brenton

The side window behind the driver is a double glazed awning type while the rest are Caravelle style. While we were away there wasn't any problem with inside temp although there was a fair amount of condensation in the mornings.
Normally we take a fan heater away with us but this time decided against it.
Unless you were camping in the mountains in the middle of winter I think what you are planning should be fine, they are very cosy inside.

Rob, when I bought my first van I purchased some English magazines & saw the insulated covers & was wondering if they were needed here.
We normally avoid the hot weather when holidaying & much prefer Autumn & Spring. After a few trips including Tasmania in May we found they weren't necessary. BTW where was the photo taken?