PDA

View Full Version : Octavia 1.8T so far so good

rym
24-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Just a quick note to share the driving experience so far with the 1.8T wagon.

It's been easy to live with, loads of space for what is a reasonably compact footprint. Can't see our family needing anything bigger.

The engine still impresses despite the familiarity now of daily commute in the last 2 weeks.

It's just so drivable that it will just fit your mood whatever it may be.

And that's the key to this car, DRIVABILITY.

Handling wise, it's no vRS, it's simply safe and predictable handling. It's putting comfort infront of the 9 tenths of sports driving. That doesn't mean you can't have a spirited drive, just the limits are reached earlier and very progressive and predictable, this is fair enough as it didn't start life with sporting intentions.

I think a limiting factor here is the Turanza 300 tyres, they are very comfortable tyres but they spin too readily for my liking.

Quality wise, there is some paint blemish on the rear passenger door, the 8 speaker stereo sounds ordinary, slight rattle from the glove box area. The strangest thing is this noise that sounds like some sort of pump running behind the steering wheel and dash?

Also dissapointing that the insulation pad under the bonnet is not fitted. Wonder what it would cost to get this?

Overall, this is a nice family car that is very capable and drivable. The word that I keep coming back to is DRIVABLE. Didn't matter what gear I'm in, there's pulling power.

By the way, I must give a plug to Volkwerke. I was quoted $100 for an oil and filter change, I was later told that this was a mistake as the oil alone was $60 before adding the filter, which is $20~$30. They stuck with the quoted price. All nice folks there. I guess they may have extended this courtesy as I had a full major service with them for my Sooby Forester XT.

Volkpower wanted $200 for this, I would have done this myself if the going rate was $200. The spin on filter is in a position that is a bit tight to get to with a oil filter strap.

Frufru
25-04-2008, 04:02 PM
How many kilometres you have done so far?

rym
25-04-2008, 06:27 PM
about 2 thou of running in driving... drove the missus mad with the acceleration and deceleration, I would too if I was the passenger.

Frufru
25-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Quality wise, there is some paint blemish on the rear passenger door, the 8 speaker stereo sounds ordinary, slight rattle from the glove box area. The strangest thing is this noise that sounds like some sort of pump running behind the steering wheel and dash?

The noise you mentioned, is it coming up all time..or can you hear it at certain speeds only? Also do you still hear it with Climatronic off?

rym
26-04-2008, 09:29 PM
yep, still there with the climatronic off. Don't know what it is. It is intermittent.

Will talk to the service people when getting the towbar fitted.