PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Island Familiarisation This Weekend.

Peter Jones
22-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Saturday April 26th 2008 Circuit Familiarisation

http://www.piarc.com.au/

http://www.piarc.com.au/files/April%202008%20CF%20Regs.pdf

Saturday
Has been allotted as a circuit familiarisation/driver training day where advice from racing drivers will be available for
those who require it, or competitors may go out an learn the circuit on their own. Competitors will be allowed a
substantial time on the track (We would expect approximately 1 hour of track time in the form of a number of 15-30
minute sessions). This day may also include passenger ride sessions. The entry fee for Saturday is $150.00 (Entries
before 19/04/08 $135.00).

Should be a fun day, I'm hoping to learn a lot from it.
Anyone else coming along to drive or watch?

Pete

velly_16v_cab
22-04-2008, 09:59 AM
i would have popped down to watch but a friend is leaving to go back to the USA on sat :(

STV4SYT
22-04-2008, 09:14 PM
what does that mean in real terms peter? im guessing id need to put in a fire extinguisher and bonnet clips to do it? plus pay PIARC and Cams license

Peter Jones
22-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Competing cars are required to comply with section 6, Schedule A & Schedule B of the 2008 CAMS Manual. The
minimum requirements for road cars include:
- Cars must be in a presentable and roadworthy condition.
- Minimum of a three-point harness system.
Fire extinguisher firmly fixed in car while competing. Fire Extinguisher comply with Schedule H of the CAMS
Manual. NOTE: BCF/Halon extinguishers are illegal.
- All vehicles, must be fitted with two separate fastening systems on any front openingpanel.
- Any cameras must be mounted in accordance with Schedule A and the relevant CAMS Technical
document..
- Fuel must be in accordance with Schedule G of the CAMS Manual.

So to translate.
Schedule A requirements.
Any stock Golf would comply.

Schedule B requirements
Again Stock Golf is mostly Ok but this section requires
Fire extinguisher
Bonnet restraints.
2 L Catch can if breathers are vented to atmosphere
Battery triangle etc

Full text is here http://www.camsmanual.com.au/zip-files_Q208/CAMS_Online_Manual_Q208.zip

So to really make it simple.
If you're starting off with a roadworthy stock car you would also need
A helmet
Fire resistant full length clothes (Woolen Jumper/jeans) closed shoes.
Fire extinguisher (Autobarn $30)
Bonnet restraints (Doesn't have to be fancy a leather belt passes.)
Battery sticker, (I'll give you one if you want to come and play!or revolution racegear)

Money -
$150 for PIARC event entry.
$95 for your CAMS L2S License (Can be purchased on the day)
$40 To join Piarc for the day (You have to be a member of a CAMS affiliated club in order to get a CAMS license. If you're already a member of VWCV for example you already qualify and don't need to pay this, bring your membership card.)

CAVEAT - Check with someone who's done this before. I'm pretty sure I haven't forgotten anything but it's not my fault if the scrutineers won't let you on the track.

I'm sure someone will pop up and fill in any blanks.

Pete

Peter Jones
22-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I forgot to mention , your lap/sash seatbelt qualifies as a 3 point harness for this if I'm reading the rule book right.

So long as
The retractor works
There's no frays
It was made after 1978 and complies with ADRs

Pete

Jarred
22-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm interested in coming down saturday arvo. knock off work at one. will there be much action at 2:30-3:00 though??

Peter Jones
23-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Hard to say ,
The event finishes at 5:00. I think the practice runs are slotted in between the Karts.

The cars run in groups I think you'll get to see my group run within that timeframe at least once.

Pete

STV4SYT
23-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Cool, so about $280 for the day. thats not too bad i guess. i think its $220 for Steve Brouggys Bike days last tiime i checked. Did PI at easter time on a rental bike it would be cool to do a comparison in the car. cant do this saturday now though, got bbq at 12 with the outlaws.

evorobin
23-04-2008, 09:14 AM
When I went

Fire extinguisher = must be date stamped
Metal valve caps on wheels
approved helmet
cams licence
Battery sticker
bonnet tie

Think that is about it from memory. Enjoy guys

NGOLF.U
23-04-2008, 10:20 PM
is there still spots avail?

i might come down...

Peter Jones
23-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Ring the number on the application form!

NGOLF.U
24-04-2008, 08:46 AM
just spoke with Theresa Ford, she has said that there is plenty spots avail and you can just come on the day and pay...

evorobin
24-04-2008, 08:54 AM
You can also buy a cams licence on the day provided you are a member of a cams affialated car club. Unsuprisingly PI club is so buy six months membership to get the cams.

This seemed like a real pain. When we used to go to mallala you just paid $70 and went out on the track :cool:

Water Boy
24-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah ihaving a Cams licence is great bcuz that means u can compete at other events... I got my juniour speed licence :D

Peter Jones
25-04-2008, 07:03 PM
The car's all packed up and ready to go. See you all there.

Pete

Water Boy
25-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Have u tapped your headlights?

Peter Jones
25-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Have u tapped your headlights?

With a vengence! ( I have my own Vinyl cutter ) :D

Pete

Peter Jones
26-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Back in one piece, I'm still trying to take it all in.

Great fun, I'm really happy with the way the car handles and the brakes are fantastic.

I got a stern talking to from Waterboy Senior (Bruce) about the my driving style and took his advice and managed to start getting my lap times down.

There's a lot of information to absorb and everything happens very quickly.

Unfortunately I didn't see the first white cloud when I burst a heater hose, I did however see the second white cloud when the head gasket blew. This was followed quickly by the "meatball" black flag.

I managed to get at least an hour of track time in before I blew the hose so I got my moneys worth at least!

I'll post the mechancil details in the "wreck to race" thread.

Phillp island is a great track, I'll pop up some photos and times when I've unwound and unpacked.

Pete

Tim
26-04-2008, 06:50 PM
thats one thing that sucks about phillip island! its a long way back if u need a tow! I need to get the VR6 back together and start getting some track time under my belt!

The one question that needs to be asked. Did u take T1 flat!? hehehe

Peter Jones
26-04-2008, 07:48 PM
The one question that needs to be asked. Did u take T1 flat!? hehehe

Sort of, my car is down on horsepower, always has been, so flat out sometimes only meant 90mph or so.

My best speed down the straight was 115mph / 184 Km/hr (I have a mph speedo). I wasn't entering at that speed though.

My driving style needs a lot of work so after my lecture from Bruce I concentrated on lines rather than speed, I had initially been going into every corner too hot and shreading up my tyres. Typically I was entering t1 in third gear an hitting about 6500 rpm out of the apex, out to 7000+ then brake for turn 2.

Pete

Tim
26-04-2008, 08:02 PM
haha "lecture"

I can just picture that

Peter Jones
26-04-2008, 08:08 PM
From my pit crew's notes my best laptime was 2:23:12.

Car is underpowered, In forth gear there's nothing to be had it just stops pulling. I'm not so concerned about laptimes I just don't want to be a roadblock to the faster cars. I'd prefer to be out there on my own I think sprints might be the way to go.

Pete

Tim
26-04-2008, 08:17 PM
thats not too shabby. Ive seen faster cars go slower!

Peter Jones
26-04-2008, 08:32 PM
haha "lecture"

I can just picture that

Yeah I think I frustrated him a fair bit. (Sorry 'bout that Bruce) There was just so much going on with Bruce instructing, cars closing, corners, gears, braking etc etc I was getting more than a little confused and couldn't apply what he was telling me to do. It all sounded fine but I just wasn't doing it.

Classic disconnect between the brain and the controls.

But I went there to learn how to drive after all - I don't claim to be any sort of racing expert. I still need a lot more practice.

Mostly I'm sure it's experience too, I'm not familiar enough with all the terminology yet and by the time I've figured out what's meant, it's too late.

"Brake early" for this turn doesn't help if I don't know what early is:?

It's hard to get up to that assumed level of knowledge from an outsiders perspective, although you've heard all the words before and they sound quite logical to you, when you try to apply them yourself they suddenly loose all meaning.

I need to hang around more racetracks and try and understand what the drivers are doing out there.

Pete

Peter Jones
26-04-2008, 09:02 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/SANY0809-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/P1290469-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/P1290491-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/P1290499-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/SANY0815-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/P1290514-2.jpg

GoLfMan
27-04-2008, 02:00 AM
looks like a great day Pete :D

evorobin
27-04-2008, 08:15 AM
My best speed down the straight was 115mph / 184 Km/hr (I have a mph speedo). I wasn't entering at that speed though.

Are you serious that's a decent speed!

Saying that probably overeading a bit but still I don't remember my 8v going any quicker. While I ran sway bars on std suspension with slicks 2'14" was the best I could do. Never enough straight line grunt at PI.

Peter Jones
27-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Are you serious that's a decent speed!

Saying that probably overeading a bit but still I don't remember my 8v going any quicker. While I ran sway bars on std suspension with slicks 2'14" was the best I could do. Never enough straight line grunt at PI.

Yeah I only got there once. To do it I had to be pulling maximum revs 6500+ in third out of the last corner change fast to fourth and just keep the pedal down. I could usually hit 110mph before braking. The speedo is new old stock and is pretty accurate at 100km/hr on street tyres confirmd by gps., but at the far end of the dial on race tyres who knows?

Trouble is there's just no power left when you change to forth, It takes the whole length of the straight to get from 4000 rpm to 6500 rpm. This motor always has been down on power, so far as I can tell it's all working properly it just doesn't make as much horsepower as my other MK3 powered golf.

Still it's good for learning, The brakes and suspension outperform the motor which means I shouldn't get myself into more trouble than I can get out of.

Next year I think I'll build a motor for it - 2.0 16v on twin sidedrafts has a lot of emotional appeal.

Pete

Water Boy
27-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Learn to drive smooth and then get the pedal to the metal... I drive slow as down there but i always hit the apex at full noise and try to keep as much flow as possible...

Remember what Hans Stuck says: Always slow in fast out to beat the Grout (Another famous euro racer)

Nah Pete dad says u were fine and listen better than most wana-be boy racers!

Oneofthegreats
27-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Great update Pete & thanks for posting up the pictures.

Shame about the blown heater hose & head gasket, but these thing's do happen.

I know what you mean about the ratio's in the 5 spd. but that is still a good top end speed. Remember that even though it's got 110+hp in a 900kg car, it's still has to push a car that's shaped like a biscuit tin!

I actually found that my gti went better with a standard diesel 4 spd! Especially top speed, but suprisingly also in acceleration too!

My GTI topped out at 195km/h & 190km/h (correct tested speed too) on the back straight of Symmond's Plains & would do it just before the right hander & also stay in front of a tuned Polo GTI & E30 M3 in a straight drag race!
I reckon if I dragged it with the 4spd fitted, I reckon I could shave upto 2 tenth's off my time.

I'm actually refitting my 4spd for this reason. If I go back to doing major highway km's, I'll fit a mk2 4E 5 spd I've got here.

Keep up the great work. Look foward to seeing a power upgrade too!

Remember, with the right part's & setup, the K-Jet can be very tunable.

Golf Loon
27-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Sounds like you had a ball Pete.

Get another head and build a big valve monster.

Or get a 2L bottom end and a big valve 1.8 head :)

99gti
27-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Sounds like it was a hoot! Good on ya for having a go! That's what it's all about :D

Jarred
27-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Good on ya Pete.

Sorry I couldn't make it down, looks like you had a real hoot!

p.s. If you end up getting rid of the Kjet motor, let me know. I'll be interested.

Peter Jones
27-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Heaps of fun! Can't wait to do it again:D

Another couple of shots, there might even be some YouTube footage later on tonight.

Back in dry dock.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/P1290530-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/P1290527-1.jpg

The Hose!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/P1290531-1.jpg

To keep things neat around here the photos of the head removal will be here http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=13857&page=12

in a few moments.

Pete

Peter Jones
27-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Here's a compilation of all the clips of the Golf out on the track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-jOxZAUDM

The hose burst was actually captured on "film" it's at 5:10 in. Trouble is I didn't see it and kept going, my eyes were on that passing car that I was waving past.

The temperature gauge doesn't measure air so I only noticed when the motor started pinging. I was black flagged just as I realised.

Right at the end of the video at about 6:14 is about where I think the head gasket let go.

The oil cooler was pretty hot when I got it back to the pits, but not so hot that I couldn't touch it, Hopefully it saved the bottom end from any damage.

The motor never siezed so I think it's only the head that needs seeing too.

Pete

GoLfMan
27-04-2008, 06:54 PM
where is it mate? theres no link?

99gti
27-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Love your ebay sticker!!!

Peter Jones
27-04-2008, 07:44 PM
where is it mate? theres no link?

Doh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-jOxZAUDM

Water Boy
27-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Mike in the GTR giving it all... Looks like u had a stella weekend Pete :D

Peter Jones
27-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Love your ebay sticker!!!

The benefits of having your own vinyl cutter. It had to be done!

Pete

Peter Jones
27-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Mike in the GTR giving it all... Looks like u had a stella weekend Pete :D

Yeah the Golf was really happy buzzing around up over 4000 rpm (until the hose blew). I'm very happy with the way it handles and stops, I think my low budget approach to mods has paid off there. More horse power would be good but that can wait for the moment until I've learnt to drive the thing properly.

Tell Bruce that I've ordered a copy of "The Front-Wheel Driving High-Performance Advantage" by Jack Doo and that I will read it.:rolleyes:

Oh and be sure to thank him again for me.

Pete

GoLfMan
27-04-2008, 09:19 PM
mate looked like you were hammering along quite well and the flog didnt sound half bad either!

ausgolfer
28-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Looks like a great time had ;) I did the same thing a few years ago when I had some money to spare, would love to do it again soon.
When I was there I'd brake slightly for the first corner back to 4th and power through. I also did a few laps with Bruce, which was really usefull (apparently beforehand my lines were those you'd take in a rear wheel drivej:) , he then hit the track with his race car and tootled along behind me for a while.

Lucky the pipe didn't go a few seconds earlier, if you'd had that much coolant under the car and onto the rear tyres while you were going around that last corner could have been a lot worse. Glad to hear it's minor ;).

If you're planning on doing any track days soon let us all know I should be back in the back soon.....fingers crossed.

Peter Jones
28-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Lucky the pipe didn't go a few seconds earlier, if you'd had that much coolant under the car and onto the rear tyres while you were going around that last corner could have been a lot worse. .

Looks like it went on the 3rd to 4th gear change out of the corner. My guess is that the pressure change when the motor dropped 2500 revs was what killed it.

Yeah the timing of it couldn't have been much better, what are the odds of catching that on tape? :D

Pete