PDA

View Full Version : TDi Oil

av8or
21-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a question, when I bought the GT. The stealer gave me 1L of VW Castrol Oil. I put it in the boot, but on the W/E I noticed that after the folks had the Jetta TFSI serviced they were given the same bottle.

I was always under the impression that Diesel uses different oil to Petrol car. However this is my first Diesel so I am probably wrong.

I think the bottle say's 704 then another figure maybe 504... But I will check later.

Any ideas as too if the guys gave me the wrong oil??

Cheers,

Andrew.:?

gregozedobe
22-04-2008, 09:25 AM
If the oil is both VW 507.00 and 504.00 then it is OK for both TDIs and petrol motors.

507.00 is for TDIs, 504.00 is for petrol. IIRC Castrol SLX III is approved for both ratings.

It is very important to run the correct oil in VW motors, your owner's manual will tell you what grade is needed. Check for the VW rating on the oil container, and never believe anyone (including VW dealers) when they say "this XXX oil is even better than the VW approved oil", if it isn't clearly printed on the label as "VW 507.00" (or whatever is right for your engine) buy something that is.

av8or
22-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Yep, the bottle has 507.00 / 504.00.

So I guess it is the same oil for both. I just thought it would not be.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Andrew

mr_walker
15-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I decided to have an oil change done at 7500, and my local dealer has switched from Castrol SLX to Shell Helix Ultra Extra.

Kind of annoys me a bit, cause I just shelled out over $20 for a 1L top up of the Castrol a few weeks ago.

For anybody who's interested, the specs for Shell Helix Ultra Extra are listed here (http://www.shell.com/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/oils_lubricants/helix/products/ultra_extra.html). It meets the VW 504 and 507 spec.

brad
16-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I decided to have an oil change done at 7500, and my local dealer has switched from Castrol SLX to Shell Helix Ultra Extra.

Kind of annoys me a bit, cause I just shelled out over $20 for a 1L top up of the Castrol a few weeks ago.

For anybody who's interested, the specs for Shell Helix Ultra Extra are listed here (http://www.shell.com/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/oils_lubricants/helix/products/ultra_extra.html). It meets the VW 504 and 507 spec.

Why would that annoy you? Different brands all mix perfectly well in the sump.

mr_walker
16-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Why would that annoy you? Different brands all mix perfectly well in the sump.

I have a terrible case of OCD :duh: