PDA

View Full Version : 02 t4 auto service.

t4tradie
18-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi All,

I'm just chasing some info on the procedure for a filter and fluid change for the auto in my t4. I have been quoted anywhere from $430.00 - $850.00 by dealers ( Yeah,Yeah i know what a lot of people think of dealerships. My last experience left me some 6k lighter!!!). Is vagcom necessary? If so can anybody in Melb help me out. I'm an engine reconditioner by trade so have reasonable knowledge and would like to attempt this myself providing i can get an accurate procedure.Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Scott

Jmac
18-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Mate common sense over Vag Com for this procedure is nesc mate gearbox must be at a set temp, but you cant go far wrong, remember the workshop manual caters for all countries, PM me and ill give you the step by step
Jmac

jets
19-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I have changed the trans fluid on my T4 without VAG COM by estimating the temp. The temp should be between 35 & 45 degrees, Taking the ambient temp into account run the motor untill the trans pan feels the same temp as your forehead [roughly blood temp]. IMO VW have tried to make it sound complicated by specifying VAG COM is needed to set oil level. They also removed the dipstick so you would need "special VW tools] I believe the main reason for VW doing this is to keep people like you & me from doing it ourselves.
I have read previously on other forums that most dealers don't use VAG COM to check the temp. Like myself others have measured the volume of oil drained & after refilling have found the trans. was overfilled by the factory or the previous service by VW by up to 1 litre. In all cases the trans worked perfectly. I am not saying to put any amount of oil back in, but try & get it as close as you can.
There was a couple of very good write ups on the net but have now disappeared. Here is one that is incomplete.
http://homepage.mac.com/msiminoff/PhotoAlbum53.html
I filled my oil using a funnel & hose, [too slow] but now have a small hand pump called TOM THUMB
Read REBUILD,s excellent post as well. Although it's for the T5 , most of it applies.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23701&PN=1
Also read
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12764

Jmac
19-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Tom Thumb is great guys i have used it for years will cost u $25 ish nowadays
Well worth it
Jmac

Silver Caravelle
21-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Scott,

Give Volkspower in Burwood a call. They recently did my T4 Caravelle for a reasonable price...filters, seal, oil etc. The proper oil is the dearest part (about $20 bucks a litre).They also have VAGCOM.

I know there has been a alot of discussion on a number of VW forums regarding using VAGCOM to measure exact temperature for auto fluid levels. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think on these autos cannot be over filled because the oil spills out the opening in any case?

Regards,
Scott

jets
26-04-2008, 09:55 AM
If you try & check the level with the oil cold it's possible to over fill,also if you are careless with filling & not allowing the oil to drain completely.The van needs to be perfectly level as well.[pan is large area & fairly shallow] Mine definately had too much oil. I checked mine again after driving around for a couple of days, allowing the torque converter to fill & having the trans. at the correct temp.