PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings

GoLfMan
03-07-2005, 02:22 PM
took my golf for a bit of a drive today which was sweat didnt push it got to 60km/h at 3750rpm in second.. but u could feel the shaking in the wheels i know now what the problem is. the left wheel bearing is shot and will be my first purschase when i get some more money tommorow :)

imported_brackie
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Hve you done the job before? You really need a press. Don't buy them from a dealer as there are plenty of places who sell equivalents.

GoLfMan
03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
a press??? ****... might havta take it down to volkspower get them to do the whole lot for me :? more money

DOHCDAVE
04-07-2005, 12:12 AM
You could take just the bits you need to down the shop to get pressed and do 95% of the work youself, it's easy. Save the money for angel eye's or somethink. Think simple, the only way to go, don't get flusted by the job, just take you time if youv'e got the time that is, And u will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Good luck !
Dave

:arrow: 16V OF COURSE :wink:

imported_brackie
04-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Wheel bearings aren't that hard to do. Most automotive workshops have a press and lots of guys will press them in and out for a few $$$s (Nice guys for $0)

DOHCDAVE
04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
That's what i was going to say brackie, was late last night almost drifting off.
Yep the nice guys will charge $0, some guys will try and sting you if they see your not to sure what you want done.
You will also need to buy some grease as well, one of those small tubs from super cheap, couple of clean rags, jack, jill and definatly need a 30mm socket and a braker bar with some pipe to lever it.
Or a good rattlegun !
You should go and buy socket as you will need to change bearings in future, and will be money well spent get a good quality one as you want it to last because you'll be putting considerable pressure on it.
Good luck
Dave

:arrow: 16v MK1 even better :wink:

GoLfMan
04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
thanks guys for all this help. ill take off the wheel bearing and buy and new one and get it pressed.. ill get back to you on the updates

syncro
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Make sure that you tighten it up with a tension wrench or they won't last long. They need to be tight!

GoLfMan
04-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Make sure that you tighten it up with a tension wrench or they won't last long. They need to be tight!

good call... just like your wheels you dont tighten and your wheels will fall off :P

peter_j_g
04-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I've done wheel bearings in the past too, and it's quite straightforward:

Slacken the centre nut before anything else - you may need to have someone in the car with their foot on the brake. I used a bit of water pipe 2m long on the end of my socket handle and still had to bounce on it! A wheel puller over the end of the socket and hooked through the slots in the wheels stops the socket comming off the nut.

Mark your camber bolts and take the wheel housing off by removing the camber bolts, tie rod end and lower ball joint, and hang the brake caliper out of the way. That way you can go to a place with a press with just the wheel housing and new bearing. Once you've pushed the old bearing out grind a little off the perimeter and use it to push the new bearing in. Return to car and re-assemble! Check the centre nut torque after driving a little.

Cheers...PG

finemk1
05-07-2005, 05:55 PM
if unsure. and doing it your self so u can take it in to a shop

the torque settings are
lbf ft Nm

Wheel bearing housing to strut 58 80
driveshaft nut uk models 169 230
us models 174 240
tie rod to strut 22 30
bottom ball joint to bearing housing
M8 22 30
M10 36 50

if ya dont have a torque wrench just tighten the buggery out of each bolt, youll know when to stop..............