PDA

View Full Version : Leather Care

mr_walker
17-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but can anybody offer tips on looking after the leather seats in my new Jetta?

Should I go down to Supercheap auto and get the first bottle of leather conditioner that catches my eye ... or is there more to it?

Cheers,

Walker

vkswgn
17-04-2008, 09:57 PM
It's really important to condition your leather because once it's "old & wrinkly" you can't revive it and it looks terrible. IMO you get what you pay for so one of the more "premium" brands would be my tip. I use Pinnacle Leather Conditioner on mine - it actually smells like liquid leather. It will absorb best (and not just sit on the surface) if you turn the heater on for a few minutes (better still if you have heated seats use them) - it will soften the leather. Then use either a good quality leather scrubbing brush (like you would for old school shoe polish) or a cotton cloth or similar - the brush will get it in deeper. It takes a bit of time and effort and if you've had the heater on it will be like a sauna in there, but it's definately worth it, if for nothing else but the smell :D . Hope that helps bud - enjoy the dead cow!

Andrew.

OvaltoJetta
17-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but can anybody offer tips on looking after the leather seats in my new Jetta?

Should I go down to Supercheap auto and get the first bottle of leather conditioner that catches my eye ... or is there more to it?

Cheers,

Walker

Hi mr_walker,

You are on the right track, but you shouldn't need conditioner just yet. I looked into lots of products and was recommended to buy the armour-all leatherwipes. Done once a fortnight since I bought it 8 months ago, my leather still looks new. The thing is to get to any spots as soon as possible after they appear. One word of warning ..... if you wear jeans and your leather is beige, then you'll have to do it once a week.

mr_walker
17-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi mr_walker,

You are on the right track, but you shouldn't need conditioner just yet. I looked into lots of products and was recommended to buy the armour-all leatherwipes. Done once a fortnight since I bought it 8 months ago, my leather still looks new. The thing is to get to any spots as soon as possible after they appear. One word of warning ..... if you wear jeans and your leather is beige, then you'll have to do it once a week.

Thanks for your help guys.

We have the anthracite package - the dealer asked me why I didn't want beige leather ... I said that he obviously had never seen kids wielding crayons and textas. If I see one of those anywhere near the back seat ... :mad:

vkswgn
18-04-2008, 01:21 PM
You are on the right track, but you shouldn't need conditioner just yet.

To be on the safe side I'd chuck some on already - most products will have a protective element as well as conditioning (kinda like sunscreen).
Re: cleaning, warm water will more than suffice - other products can potentially dry out the leather which is the last thing you want.

ScienceVR6
18-04-2008, 02:27 PM
To be on the safe side I'd chuck some on already - most products will have a protective element as well as conditioning (kinda like sunscreen).
Re: cleaning, warm water will more than suffice - other products can potentially dry out the leather which is the last thing you want.
My leather is getting old. nearly 15 years old now, well, 13. I clean mine with a damp chamois, and thats all i do. I haven't found a conditioner that didn't just come off on my clothes, but it could be the shiny surface of the old leather cousing that.

DMS_Dan
23-05-2008, 10:50 PM
for cleaning try Lexol PH leather clean. For conditioning the best available to you guys is Zaino Z10. If your product is sitting on the surface your using to much. You only need a tiny bit.

Avoid the cleaner conditioner wipes. The all in ones dont work very well compared to the dedicated products

The_Hawk
23-05-2008, 10:56 PM
AutoGlym... infact I think I'm a walking Autoglym sign board as I use their products for pretty much everything.

Just got the leather care into my seats and it brought them up very nicely indeed.

gti
27-10-2008, 08:56 PM
AutoGlym... infact I think I'm a walking Autoglym sign board as I use their products for pretty much everything.

Just got the leather care into my seats and it brought them up very nicely indeed.

Totally agree! I tried out my Autoglym leather cleaner & cream the other day.....fantastic but it took me over an hour...lol....

DMS_Dan
27-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Totally agree! I tried out my Autoglym leather cleaner & cream the other day.....fantastic but it took me over an hour...lol....

Dont worry takes me about 40 mins and ive had a fair bit of practice

RhysQ
27-10-2008, 09:47 PM
last weekend i bought a bottle of Meguiars Leather Gel for about $25 (USD$5.00 j:). i used just a soft cotton cloth for application and about 15 mins later all the leather in my car looked fantastic and got the lovely leather smell back. i was very happy with the product and definitely recommend it.