PDA

View Full Version : The first few days in the life of a 3.2 wagon

DubDub
17-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Greetings all.
I took delivery of my new 3.2 wagon last Friday.
Sadly, what should have been a good experience was wrecked by the utter incompetence of my leasing company, and possibly some from the dealer, who will remain nameless for the time being.

2 hours before the delivery was due, I was advised by the lease company that they'd forgotten to request the tint and leather protection that I'd ordered. Of course, I'd disposed of my old car earlier that morning, so I was not too keen to wait until after the weekend to get the Passat. :mad:

When the car was finally delivered at 6pm, I discovered to my horror that it was a November 2007 build date, despite the fact that I had specifically requested a 2008 build. The leasing company had earlier confirmed that it would definitely be an '08 build. My signed order also stipulated a 2008 build. I was naturally not happy and was very close to rejecting it on the spot, but when you're without a car....:mad::mad:

I then discovered that the mp3 aux input that I'd ordered (essentially a headphone jack, which will fit ANY MP3 player) was in fact an iPod connection. :mad::mad::mad:

I then found that the electricals for the towbar were via a round connector, even though I'd specifically ordered a 7-pin flat connector, as used on about 95% of trailers in Oz. They had provided a 300mm long adapter lead from the round to a flat connector, but this has the craziest fitting you can imagine, requiring you to crawl under the car to fit, and it it then took me about 4 minutes to remove, skinning my knuckles in the process. :mad::mad::mad::mad: Hopefully it'll loosen up with use. Out of interest, has anyone had the VW 1500kg towbar fitted with the 7 pin flat connector as the standard fitting, or do they always come with the round Euro fitting? Given that the towbar was fitted in Australia, this seems a little crazy to me.

I raised these issues with the leasing company first thing this week, who, to their credit, spoke with the dealer immediately, who in turn called me to arrange to get everything fixed at my convenience, with a loan car provided etc. The 2007 build date obviously can't be "fixed" but the dealer has offered me a number of options at no cost, which I'm currently assessing. I still don't know who is to blame for the build date stuff-up. It's going in on Monday to get everything rectified.

My initial impressions of the car are mixed. It certainly seems different to the two cars I had for extended tests (one for 24 hours), and it'll be interesting to compare it to the loan car I get next week when the above issues are fixed.

The engine is superb - strong and smooth with a great note. Even with a brand new, tight engine, the economy is impressive at about 11L/100km, which compares to the 16.5L/100km that my previous Ford Terror-tory used to gulp down. The seats are very comfortable, with good adjustment. The dash lighting at night looks seriously impressive, although to be honest, I find the red lettering a little blurry. It might just be my aging eyes!
My main concern though is with the transmission and the auto hold function. It may be that it is all still very new and tight (I've still only done 200km), but I find that when starting from standstill on an uphill slope (using the autohold), it is impossible to move off smoothly. If I gently squeeze the accelerator, it doesn't move, and if I apply a tiny amount more, it suddenly lurches forward with neck snapping speed. Not great for unsuspecting passengers.

As mentioned by Lance in another thread, I also find that it holds 3rd or 4th gear too long when you slow down for a roundabout or 90 degree corner. When you then gently squeeze the accelerator, it again either pauses and goes nowhere, or suddenly drops back to 2nd and roars off, giving you whiplash in the process.

I'm surprised by how quickly it moves up through the gears in normal driving - changing into 6th by 55 to 60kph. Good for economy of course, but it means changing back 2 or even 3 gears if you need to gun it. I haven't played around much with the manual mode or sport shift yet, although that will be a lot of fun when I have a few more k's on the clock. I agree with Lance where he said that it needs another mode, midway between the current normal and sports mode. That would be perfect.

That's all for now. I'll let you know how I get on when all the other issues are fixed early next week.

Cheers
DubDub

mikinoz
17-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Glad to hear you got there in the end.

This time last year we got similar model year arrangement with our car - however we were aware and were compensated.

I hope you enjoy it!

mr_walker
17-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I was *so* paranoid about getting a MY07 Jetta when I specifically asked for a MY08 one. I think that being told it was on a ship and that I had to wait a few weeks was a blessing in disguise though - knowing it was coming straight from the factory.

It feels bad to read your tale of woe - usually I'm writing my own. Guess I lucked in this time ;)

WestOiler125
17-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Phew....just checked my wagon delivered last week is Jan 2008.

Although that's what was on the docs, you had me worried!:o

slitko
18-04-2008, 01:57 AM
I made the dealer re-order my EOS cause I asked for a 08 build and they brought a 07 build. You can see my car, well ex-car, at the dealer being used as demo model now :D

guthrie
18-04-2008, 10:27 AM
My main concern though is with the transmission and the auto hold function. It may be that it is all still very new and tight (I've still only done 200km), but I find that when starting from standstill on an uphill slope (using the autohold), it is impossible to move off smoothly. If I gently squeeze the accelerator, it doesn't move, and if I apply a tiny amount more, it suddenly lurches forward with neck snapping speed. Not great for unsuspecting passengers.

As mentioned by Lance in another thread, I also find that it holds 3rd or 4th gear too long when you slow down for a roundabout or 90 degree corner. When you then gently squeeze the accelerator, it again either pauses and goes nowhere, or suddenly drops back to 2nd and roars off, giving you whiplash in the process.

My 103kw TDi with DSG has exactly those symptoms. Its lucky Perth has very few steep hills, otherwise it would probably drive me nuts too... Maybe get the dealer to try it and see if they think its normal DSG behaviour or not?

STV4SYT
18-04-2008, 10:56 AM
DSG is probably still learning. it tooka while for mine, but still when i go anywhere near speed bumps i knock it into manual and lock it in 3rd

Lance B
18-04-2008, 01:22 PM
DubDub,

Sorry to hear about all the problems! :mad:

A well scripted review even though you have a few minor compliants about the DSG. As steve_tdi said, the computer does go through a learning process, so you will find that the DSG should get better, as mine did.

I use tiptronic about 60-70% of the time and this is a blast to drive.

Anyway, good luck with your new Passat V6 4Motion!:)

DubDub
18-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone (and words of sympathy!)

To WestOiler - did you check the Build date plate? ( on the b-pillar below the lock for the driver's door) Also remember that the build date is different to the compliance date. If your car was delivered on April 8 and has a Jan build date then I'm REALLY spewing (not for you, but for the liar of a dealer who assured me my car was straight off the boat!). Can you please confirm your build date with me, as it'll give me more ammunition to take to the dealer and the lease company. Many thanks

WestOiler125
21-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes mate...it was on the plate on the front driver's door pillar....Jan/08

Good luck!

WestOiler125
21-04-2008, 10:59 PM
DubDub,

The best ammo you will have is http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=13829 which shows how to track your delivery.

I checked mine, and it showed when it left Germany, arrived in Fremantle, etc.

The facts can't lie like a crooked dealer......

DubDub
22-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks WestOiler.
Just realised that you're over in WA (I'm not slow, eh?), which may explain why your 08 was delivered earlier than over here in Sideee. My car's in getting everything fitted which they forgot to do at delivery. I'll check its shipment details when I get it back.
Cheers