PDA

View Full Version : upgrades

mk5 toy
17-04-2008, 05:31 PM
hi every one i have finally got my hands on a mkv gti golf and have fallen in love the only thing i am wondering is what i can do to open the girl up a bit there just seams to b a bit more to her than the factory has let out if any one has any sugestions could they please let me know of some thanks peoples. :-)

DubSteve
17-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Chip, exhaust, intake just to name you a few things!

That will get you at the 160kw at the wheels stage, then for styling have a look at Guy_H's car that bodykit looks awesome!

DUB 20V
17-04-2008, 05:36 PM
hi every one i have finally got my hands on a mkv gti golf and have fallen in love the only thing i am wondering is what i can do to open the girl up a bit there just seams to b a bit more to her than the factory has let out if any one has any sugestions could they please let me know of some thanks peoples. :-)

get a chip first up all the boys love the gti when chipped, more power, mtm apr giac revo brands are all good...

Jarred
17-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Chip, exhaust, intake just to name you a few things!

X2.

If you want more performance, this are real easy cheap(ish) and effective mods.

If you wanna get real serious, then you have to start talking bigger turbos, uprated injectors, uprated intercooler, and cams and heaps of other things! But I'm sure the chip, intake and exhaust well be enough for ya!

Search in the mk 5 section, there are a number of guys that have done these mods!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

GT15VW
24-04-2008, 01:51 PM
G'day mate,

I'd go this order..

Performance

Sway Bars -> Chip -> Exhaust -> Suspension

Looks

Wheels -> Body Styling

All depends on how much cash you got to spend!

Once you have done those then you can upgrade turbos/intercoolers/coilovers etc

SteelHand
24-04-2008, 03:21 PM
GT15VW,

Can you tell me where you got your Oettinger gear as I am looking to buy the Air Intake kit but can't seem to find any suppliers online.

SteelHand.

zz2
24-04-2008, 04:19 PM
GT15VW,

Can you tell me where you got your Oettinger gear as I am looking to buy the Air Intake kit but can't seem to find any suppliers online.

SteelHand.

the Oettinger cold air intake is exactly the same as the APR Carbonio CAI.. just probably more expensive. this would make sense seeing as APR and Oettinger are the same company

http://www.oettinger.de/bilder/4038.jpeg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/04/carbonio-1.jpg

i have the Carbonio on my GTI and i can tell you in all honesty its made next to no difference in terms of performance and responsiveness. the difference was a little bit more induction noise but that was because of the better panel filter. ask any one with the Carbonio set up and they will say the same.

the thing with the 2.0 TFSI engine is unless you're chipped a new intake will do sweet FA. its not like on a skyline or supra where it makes a noticeable difference.
in my opinion the Carbonio/ Oettinger intakes are really a waste of time and money... theyre farking pricey!
if you really have your heart set on a better intake i suggest looking at the EVOMS or Dbilas intake like Mr GT15VW has (when ever it arrives!). and if you really want to blow $900 have a look at the Gruppe M set up for the GTI, thats by far the most impressive bit of kit i have seen... but its at a price!

the only reason why i went for the Carbonio was because a fellow GTI driving mate of mine sold it to me with the near new filter for $50! he actually bought it off that APR hating dude from golfmkv.com GTILIN but he never fitted because he went for the EVOMS kit instead.
i thought $50 for some carbon fibre bling and a new high performance panel filter was a dam good deal :D

honestly just put that money towards a chip or new rear sway bar.

cheers

gtimk5
24-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. You are at the friendliest one about!! Hope you enjoy it and NEVER be afraid to ask questions!! :)
I have the APR reflash, exhaust and engine torque arm insert. I also have the Carbonio intake, Koni coilover kit and I am currently fitting Whiteline swaybars. My 18in BBS's are off at the moment due to a lack of rubber left in 20,000 kms!! Grrr....:(
Great car and easily made even greater without making them uncomfortable.
Cheers, Andrew :)

There is also a new APR fuel pump available that increases power considerably, that is next on my list!!!

SteelHand
24-04-2008, 05:15 PM
the thing with the 2.0 TFSI engine is unless you're chipped a new intake will do sweet FA.

I have Bluefin on it's way to my doorstep so it it worth getting an intake still?

SteelHand.

zz2
24-04-2008, 05:56 PM
i recon. but not Carbonio or Oettinger as its just like having the stock system.
lots of people on golfmkv have EVOMS which is supposed to have the most power gains but its also noisy as hell (look up EVOMS or Neuspeed Intake on GTI on Youtube). it seems Dbilas is the best compromise. you will still get gains not far off EVOMS but you dont have that howling turbo induction noise (unless thats what you want) j:

SteelHand
24-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info Mark, I'll check them out but I was mainly after something that didn't require the engine cover to be removed or replaced with an aftermarket one..

MK5 Toy, I heartily apologise for hijacking your thread, that wasn't the intention.

SteelHand.

GT15VW
25-04-2008, 01:47 AM
There are proven gains with the Carbonio, but arent as much as EVOMS/Neuspeed/Dbilas.

Carbonio is much much quiter though.

mk5 toy
29-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the info Mark, I'll check them out but I was mainly after something that didn't require the engine cover to be removed or replaced with an aftermarket one..

MK5 Toy, I heartily apologise for hijacking your thread, that wasn't the intention.

SteelHand.

na mate thats fine im learning every step of the way and it saves me searching :) thanks but

mk5 toy
29-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. You are at the friendliest one about!! Hope you enjoy it and NEVER be afraid to ask questions!! :)
I have the APR reflash, exhaust and engine torque arm insert. I also have the Carbonio intake, Koni coilover kit and I am currently fitting Whiteline swaybars. My 18in BBS's are off at the moment due to a lack of rubber left in 20,000 kms!! Grrr....:(
Great car and easily made even greater without making them uncomfortable.
Cheers, Andrew :)

There is also a new APR fuel pump available that increases power considerably, that is next on my list!!!

thanks mate apreciate it what does the apr cost and what gains do i get from that (power torque) and what does a torque arm do??? im thinking of tune and filter first then swaybars and lowering when i get my new wheels (not sure wat im getting yet):) sorry im new to all this

mk5 toy
25-06-2008, 04:31 PM
hey peoples just an up date got the mtm flash tune done verry impressed with it next is exhaust and then air filter i think thanks every one for there 2 cents
:driver: